Kuzey
10-28-2003, 03:59 PM
I thought I'd give the icon thing a go myself:p

These are just the object and scene icons...quick and simple :

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~kuzey/lwicons.jpg

Kuzey

riki
10-28-2003, 04:28 PM
uuuggh good work but you have to do the full suite, motion files, lw images files, plugins, main app icons etc :)

Matt
10-29-2003, 02:51 AM
One thing you need to keep in mind is that most people use the 'view by list' mode in their Windows which means the icons will be 16x16 (in Windows anyway) so most detail is lost.

I found this out when I did mine!

mlinde
10-29-2003, 09:05 AM
On the mac side, the icons can have multiple sizes! You can make them at variable sizes to allow for the different resolutions. It's a bit wacky, but a normal part of the compulsive UI work in the Mac OS.

anieves
10-29-2003, 09:59 AM
On OSX you make icons in one sigle size (128x128)and OSX uses Quartz to resize them on the fly... no need to make multiple size icons anymore...

artologist
10-29-2003, 10:16 AM
A nice tool from IconFactory is IconBuilder. A plugin for Photoshop specifically for creating icons. Helps with various elements involved in creating icons.

riki
10-29-2003, 02:50 PM
Icon Builder is great but like all my other PS Plugs, doesn't seem to be working since I upgraded to OSX, just in Classic Mode. Also I noticed for those of ewes on a Mac, check the Developers Tools CD that comes with OS X. It appears to have an icon builder on there as well.

Kuzey
10-29-2003, 03:51 PM
Thanks guys,

I do hope Newtek updates their icons to (128x128) size..at least for the object and scene icons.

Here's some more wackness:

http://users.webtime.com.au/kuzey/lwicons2.jpg

I'm not happy with the LScript icons..I was trying to go for a "terminal.app" look but it didn't workout :p

The menu icon is for the Menu layout settings and the backdrop icon is for the saved Backdrops settings.... but you knew that ;)
ps. ignore the shadows.

Kuzey

Para
10-30-2003, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by mlinde
On the mac side, the icons can have multiple sizes! You can make them at variable sizes to allow for the different resolutions. It's a bit wacky, but a normal part of the compulsive UI work in the Mac OS.

So can Windows icons have multiple sizes varying from 16*16 to 64*64 (IIRC) and this has been in at least since Win95. So, what's your point? :)

Red_Oddity
10-30-2003, 05:14 AM
I don't think it was meant as a point, rather as an observation or a simple note...

As for icons...
People always make them look great at full size (128x128), but how many of us actually use that size anywhere on our machines???
The moment you scale down to 16x16 or 32x32 it all looks like a 4 year's old Playdo bucket after a weeks use...

Anieves...i believe it is still possible to make small varieties for all icons with Icon Builder...so the option is there in OSX (maybe to spare memory consumption), a sort of LOD system...(correct me on this though if i'm wrong)

Anyway, Kuzey, give us a screenshot of a list view in the finder/explorer (with 16x16 icons), that way you can tell if they're actually usefull

Kuzey
10-30-2003, 04:22 PM
http://users.webtime.com.au/kuzey/lwicons3.jpg

As for icons...
People always make them look great at full size (128x128), but how many of us actually use that size anywhere on our machines???
The moment you scale down to 16x16 or 32x32 it all looks like a 4 year's old Playdo bucket after a weeks use...

That's correct...but easy to fix. You make a simplified version for the 16x16 icons (take out the extra detail and add more contrast etc.)

They still look good at 32x32 but at 16x16 they lose detail...but like I said it's easy to do.

Kuzey

Red_Oddity
10-31-2003, 04:19 AM
Exactly, but not many people go through that little extra step...(just check IconFactory...nice big up, but horrible in real life use...)

Nice icons though...