PDA

View Full Version : Inspiration: "Batman of Shanghai"

jeric_synergy
08-28-2012, 12:59 PM
Reminiscent of "Samurai Champloo" and "Fooly Cooly":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gbs67ApxL4&feature=player_embedded#!

Philbert
08-29-2012, 01:54 AM
Felt a bit like Avatar to me. I didn't like one thing though, how the fights were way over done. One stood there waiting while the other did some ridiculous moves all by him/herself.

erikals
08-29-2012, 02:25 AM
i liked it :]

Waves of light
08-29-2012, 02:26 AM
I really liked it, particularly the rope/whip work on the catwomen scenes.

Best character out of the three was Bane.

But yes, it's got an Avatar feel to it.... which my son is currently ploughing through as it's on Netflix.

Philbert
08-29-2012, 02:51 AM
Personally I'm already waiting for the new season of Legend of Korra. Last one seemed way too short.

jeric_synergy
08-29-2012, 09:01 AM
"Avatar" the movie??? Or the Airbender series?

If you guys haven't seen "Fooly Cooly", you really should. Best. Thing. Evahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!

Philbert
08-29-2012, 09:59 AM
I meant Avatar: The Last Airbender, animated series.

I assume you mean FLCL the Gainax anime? It's neat but I don't see the relation to this short.

jeric_synergy
08-29-2012, 10:03 AM
I assume you mean FLCL the Gainax anime? It's neat but I don't see the relation to this short.
Yes. Stylistically I'd say it's very similar. The drawing style here is more angular, but the motion style is very like.
:D

Waves of light
08-29-2012, 10:39 AM
Yes, I was talking about the animated version too.

Never seen FLCL, is it suitable for a 9 year old?

jeric_synergy
08-29-2012, 11:19 AM
Yes, I was talking about the animated version too.

Never seen FLCL, is it suitable for a 9 year old?
I'd say yes, but I don't have kids. I'd say it works for both kids and adults, and doesn't have any problematic bits. Edgy, though.

I think a smart kid would really enjoy all the different aspects of FLCL, and would see something different each time.

Waves of light
08-29-2012, 11:22 AM
Cheers bud,

He likes Batman, Transformers, Karate Kid, Avatar, etc. so Edgy sounds ok to me.

I'll see if I can hunt FLCL down for him.

DogBoy
08-30-2012, 02:20 AM
It's edgy, but not in a batman/Avatar kind of way.

it's really about growing up, by way of slightly lecherous fathers, robots exploding from your forehead and alien invasions. It changes style at the drop of a hat, going from standard anime, to manga comic-strip to surrealism at the drop of a hat. It also has a great post-punk, slightly bubblegum-poppy soundtrack.

It is truly one of the greatest animated series of all time. Go get it, but you've been warned.

Philbert
08-30-2012, 04:14 AM
FLCL is on YouTube (legally) Considering it's by the makers of Evangelion I like it, it's a little too weird for me though.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/SWNeTVdRz9WCA

I only ever knew it as FLCL or Furi Kuri, only heard it called Fooly Cooly once by a guy I worked with 8 or 9 years ago.

Waves of light
08-30-2012, 04:15 AM
It's edgy, but not in a batman/Avatar kind of way.

it's really about growing up, by way of slightly lecherous fathers, robots exploding from your forehead and alien invasions. It changes style at the drop of a hat, going from standard anime, to manga comic-strip to surrealism at the drop of a hat. It also has a great post-punk, slightly bubblegum-poppy soundtrack.

It is truly one of the greatest animated series of all time. Go get it, but you've been warned.

FLCL is on YouTube (legally) Considering it's byt he makers of Evangelion I like it, it's a little too wild and crazy for me though.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/SWNeTVdRz9WCA

Thanks guys, I'll give one a go this evening and see if he likes it or not.

Philbert
08-30-2012, 04:46 AM
I'll add that I do like the end theme song, Ride On Shooting Star by The Pillows. I even have the MP3 in my collection. The was a time when I listened to almost nothing but JPop. hehe

DogBoy
08-30-2012, 05:27 AM
I only ever knew it as FLCL or Furi Kuri, only heard it called Fooly Cooly once by a guy I worked with 8 or 9 years ago.

C'mon, I don't think we need be pedantic about pronunciation. As wikipedia puts it:

FLCL (フリクリ Furi Kuri?, pronounced in English as Fooly Cooly)

So, the take away from that is that it is difficult for English speakers to pronounce, so they are all valid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLCL
For a slightly clearer synopsis.

Philbert
08-30-2012, 08:00 AM
I saw the Wikipedia post later. I'm just saying I've only seen it said like that once, a long time ago so I wanted to make sure I got the right thing that's all. I never saw the English version so I wouldn't have seen the way it's pronounced in English.

jeric_synergy
08-30-2012, 08:20 AM
FLCL is on YouTube (legally) {SNIP} it's a little too weird for me though.
That's WHY I like it. :boogiedow

Dexter2999
08-30-2012, 09:45 AM
Yeah, FLCL is pretty cool. Got it on DVD after I saw it online. And bought a Pillows album as well.

As for the Batman Shanghai anim., looked like "The Batman" meets "Jackie Chan Adventures" to me.

bazsa73
08-31-2012, 02:53 AM
I like this style, reminds me of the animated scene seen in Kill Bill 1.

LW_Will
08-31-2012, 03:00 PM
The amazingly cool FLCL (Fooly Cooly) is a parody of the anime industry at the time. Everything, from the design, animation, style, animators... everything. It is quite funny, but even if you don't pull apart the parody, the story is great too.

FLCL takes a place in my heart quite close to Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, and Durrarara.

jeric_synergy
08-31-2012, 03:41 PM
The amazingly cool FLCL (Fooly Cooly) is a parody of the anime industry at the time. Everything, from the design, animation, style, animators... everything. It is quite funny, but even if you don't pull apart the parody, the story is great too.
Indeed, the more you know about the industry, the funnier it is, yet it still stands on its own quite well. :beerchug:

Just as a STYLE SAMPLER it's brilliant.

A live-action bad example of the "sampler" style is "Prospero's Book(s?)", by Peter Greenaway. HORRIBLE FILM, but if you want a document that shows a lot of cool 'looks', a great resource.

(How does that wanker get money to make his awful movies???)