PDA

View Full Version : object size

Stephen0523
08-28-2012, 04:47 AM
Stupid question. How do I find the size of an object? I want to use Array to duplicate something several times, so knowing the size of the object will be a big help!

AlexxelA
08-28-2012, 04:51 AM
switch to modeler?

AlexxelA
08-28-2012, 04:53 AM
modeler under utilities-measure points ... select two points!

Danner
08-28-2012, 06:13 AM
Several tools for measuring depending on the situation.

Absolute size
Absolute Measure
Measure points
Measure tool I think it's default shorcut is Ctrl E. (I could be wrong I change a lot of shorcuts)

Stephen0523
08-28-2012, 07:21 AM
Hi. I am on a Mac and did not find Measure Points, but I found Absoluter Measure. Is this the same thing? See attached.

Stephen0523
08-28-2012, 07:23 AM
I just tried Control E and that brought up a measuring tool!

rcallicotte
08-28-2012, 01:43 PM
Thanks for sharing your discovery, Stephen.

prometheus
08-29-2012, 01:40 AM
I prefer checking sizeīs with the absolute size tool in modeler, modify/more/absolute size...see image.

you can choose element such as points and check the size with it, or just check the whole mesh, but make sure you do cancel or just drop the tool since it is a modifier.
You can rescale with locked axis, or independent axis.

The absolute size tool exists in Lw 11.03 Layout too, but poorly implemented since you can not scale correctly with a true absolute size there, Newtek needs to go back to the drawing board on that.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=106575&stc=1&d=1346226008

Michael

hrgiger
08-29-2012, 02:41 AM
LWCAD has both measure, angle and volume tools that will remain in the viewports as widgets after they are created. The great thing about them is that they will update as you change your object.

prometheus
08-29-2012, 04:03 AM
LWCAD has both measure, angle and volume tools that will remain in the viewports as widgets after they are created. The great thing about them is that they will update as you change your object.

yes thatīs great, I wish Lw cad had some sort of draw extend option on dimension lines though to place them away from the model, like sketchup, so that they arent located along edges or the points, just activate dimension tool, click on edge and drag out to place it where you want, so much easier to work with setting up dimensions in sketchup.

the way it works with auto snaps in Sketchup from construction lines, points or edges is great, and how you manipulate and move them, but on the other hand, if you change the model in sketchup the dimension measurements wonīt change accordingly which is something sketchup needs to improve on.
Itīs also nice to choose text alignment against screen facing cam or along dimension lines.
Oops...correction...I was wrong, of course dimension measurements are changed when resizing in sketchup.

Michael

Snosrap
08-29-2012, 10:45 AM
I use Dimension + from Gianni Soldati. :thumbsup:

hrgiger
08-29-2012, 08:15 PM
yes thatīs great, I wish Lw cad had some sort of draw extend option on dimension lines though to place them away from the model, like sketchup, so that they arent located along edges or the points, just activate dimension tool, click on edge and drag out to place it where you want, so much easier to work with setting up dimensions in sketchup.

Do you mean like this?

Well, its not a draw extend option per se, but the dimension tools are independent widgets and they are not attached to the objects (edges, points, polys, whatever...) so they can be moved to whatever location you want. Of course, if you wanted to change your object and have the dimensions reflect the new value, you'd have to select both the object and rule widget, not practical in all cases. But if you wanted to just lower roof of a building that was measured, you could select the points on the roof and the point at the top of the widget and it would work fine.

But Viktor is always responsive with feature requests and that doesn't seem like a hard request.

prometheus
08-30-2012, 04:30 AM
Do you mean like this?

Well, its not a draw extend option per se, but the dimension tools are independent widgets and they are not attached to the objects (edges, points, polys, whatever...) so they can be moved to whatever location you want. Of course, if you wanted to change your object and have the dimensions reflect the new value, you'd have to select both the object and rule widget, not practical in all cases. But if you wanted to just lower roof of a building that was measured, you could select the points on the roof and the point at the top of the widget and it would work fine.

But Viktor is always responsive with feature requests and that doesn't seem like a hard request.

Something like that, but extension lines should go out from measure points and not being located in open air away from it, shold look like my attached images from sketchup, then by default the dimension text values,they arenīt displayed very nicely and clearly, align measurement text to screen would be nice too, but Im not sure that is possible, otherwise you would have to rotate model in correct position to clearly see dimensions which is a little awkward, but that is also a question on viewport display mode, I donīt think their is a similar viewport display mode suitable for archviz drawings.

otherwise I think it is to much hazzle to work with dimension guides in the way you described, not practical as you mention having to select to items in order to get proper changes in dimension lines, works lika charm to select face or edges and move directly in sketchup and move with auto changes on dimensions, you will swear if you are custom to the sketchup way at least.

Sketchup is designed to work intuitive and with speed and look like architectural drawings from scratch.
Please pick up sketchup free and test dimension guides versus lwcad dimension guides.

Michael

hrgiger
08-30-2012, 06:30 AM
Sketchup is designed to work intuitive and with speed and look like architectural drawings from scratch.
Please pick up sketchup free and test dimension guides versus lwcad dimension guides.

Michael

I will take your word for it Michael. LWCAD is more then good enough for my uses, I don't generally have much use for extension lines and rarely use the measurement widgets except for initial measurements.

But like I said, that would be a good feature request for Viktor to put into LWCAD.

prometheus
08-30-2012, 07:01 AM
I will take your word for it Michael. LWCAD is more then good enough for my uses, I don't generally have much use for extension lines and rarely use the measurement widgets except for initial measurements.

But like I said, that would be a good feature request for Viktor to put into LWCAD.

Depends on what type of end presentation you need perhaps, and visualization of that, I had a job to be done of a small building with proper dimension showcased in a nice manner from all views, sketchup worked fine, but woulnīt have looked quite as good as illustration sketch drawings from Lightwave, on the other hand If I would have needed final rendering In realism, I would have imported to Lightwave of course and render there.

Personally I think I will have a lot of use of measurements and how they are displayed, I will be doing 3d plans of gym facilities and floor plans which would benefit from having good dimensions described too, and that also in final renderings.

Michael

hrgiger
08-30-2012, 10:55 AM
No I'm not disagreeing with you at all, just my own personal use of LWCAD does not require it. But I do think that would be a very cool feature, I will mention it to Viktor the next time I communicate with him. I could see it being very well received by people who do archviz wokrk.

Snosrap
08-30-2012, 08:15 PM
Yes the extension lines would great, but better yet have the ability to create a drawing with top, front, side and perspective views. Much like Inventor or Solidworks and then save it as a PDF, DWG or DXF etc.. :thumbsup: