PDA

View Full Version : Please I beg you, develop a way to match the layout camera with modeler perspective.

gcbotas
08-27-2012, 08:34 PM
I mean really needed.

Thanks

erikals
08-27-2012, 09:04 PM
 
camera in Modeler it is possible

after all, all they need to do is to make Layout send info to Modeler >
the current frame location (e.g. 7) and the camera settings (e.g. Resolution, Zoom Factor)
(it should even be possible to make a simple function that imports all the different frames)

editing camera view and animation is a different story, but can be done,
making a XYZ and HPB position in Modeler that could be updated in Layout is quite doable.

importing deformed objects from Layout though, now that's a different story.

might be that NT can't see the use for it, though many of us do, not sure...

 

biliousfrog
08-28-2012, 02:57 AM
I'd prefer it the other way round. For matching geometry to the camera view, such as compositing into photos, I'd want Modeler to have a camera view that matches the one in Layout.

Here's an example, a project I worked on with a couple of other LW guys: http://youtu.be/k4sURo6AWME

Matching the on-set photographs involved lots of back and forth between the two apps, trying to get the geometry for projection mapping the correct shape and in the correct location. If we'd used any other 3D application it would have been done in a fraction of the time.

I see this as a massive stumbling block in Lightwave's ability to break into the visualisation and VFX market. How can Lightwave be considered an application for TV/film work when you can't even model from the camera? I'd certainly change apps if this was something I'd need to do on a regular basis...or, at least, get another app for doing camera matching.

Waves of light
08-28-2012, 03:11 AM
Here's an example, a project I worked on with a couple of other LW guys: http://youtu.be/k4sURo6AWME

Like that a lot. And yes, I can see how camera matching would have helped speed up the workflow.

Dodgy
08-28-2012, 03:44 AM
I second that begging! It should be possible as it's already easy to add backdrop images to every other pane EXCEPT the perspective view. If they just added that in I'd be happy to fiddle with the view position, rotation and perspective amount to get the right modelling and then just leave it there while I modelled in other views.

Sensei
08-28-2012, 03:54 AM
I second that begging! It should be possible as it's already easy to add backdrop images to every other pane EXCEPT the perspective view. If they just added that in

It's even possible to make by 3rd party developer - you just have to "properly" persuade him to do so.. :p

djwaterman
08-28-2012, 03:54 AM
It is needed for sure. Not the first thread on the subject either, hope they're working on it.

erikals
08-28-2012, 04:22 AM
It's even possible to make by 3rd party developer - you just have to "properly" persuade him to do so.. :p

you kidding me?! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/rock.gifhttp://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/hammer.gif

erikals
08-28-2012, 04:24 AM
It is needed for sure. Not the first thread on the subject either, hope they're working on it.

Ditto that!

khan973
08-28-2012, 08:21 AM
Sensei, god amongst the gods, will your blessed right hand code such a life changing feature?
I swear to be your rendering slave fo a whole... hum week?, ok, month :)

Was that a proper request?
I could also send you a box of french wine :D ask anything and your will be done!
(can you feel how much I need that?)

khan973
08-28-2012, 08:23 AM
On a more serious note, we've been asking that for so long I can recall bringing that all the time too. We really need that.

robertoortiz
08-28-2012, 09:23 AM
I second the request...

ianr
08-28-2012, 09:50 AM
Yep!
Must be PEEKA-BO both ways

Guys! Lob a dupicate into

Sturff for LW12 and heavily

underline it!!!!!!!

silviotoledo
08-28-2012, 10:44 AM
I guess this is on Newtek plans, but we have no idea when will it be available.

Hey, do it Sensei !
you can still sell some licenses before Newtek launching, or may find other interesting possibilities after touching the code.

:)

and another cool request is LAYOUT PERSPECTIVE to CAMERA!

tyrot
08-28-2012, 03:24 PM
Sensei or Viktor May do it

Actually lets think shall we..

LWCAD is an AWESOME tool..AFTER seeing 4.2 and how he deals with UVs ..i believe he can import a camera View into LW modeler. Then sky is limit.!

Also sensei has extensive knowledge about both modeler and layout...He could add even Santa Clause if he wants to ..

Come on viktor or sensei you both have enough talent to pull this off ... :(

Sensei
08-28-2012, 03:31 PM
I was talking about making backdrops in perspective viewport. Don't you see what I quoted?

"importing camera view into Modeler" would require hacking Modeler executable and dlls to find OpenGL calls responsible for loading transformation and projection matrices to viewports.. Then redirecting them to our code..
I was doing something like that in alpha version of EasySplit, but just for reading data, before I realized there is much nicer and less hack way to do it. Since then I am using this method in the all tools that are working in perspective viewport. That's why EasySplit works nicely in perspective viewport.. And Knife and others does not..

Dexter2999
08-28-2012, 03:45 PM
I know it isn't the same thing (at all) but as a "stop gap" measure, if the Viper Panel from Layout were to become VPR then be an available viewport (floating or fixed, don't care) in modeler, that would be nice. Like a previous poster said, you could work in other views, even a perspective view, and see the changes in the VPR panel.

I could work with that until a true solution was reached.

JonW
08-28-2012, 03:49 PM
Here's an example, a project I worked on with a couple of other LW guys: http://youtu.be/k4sURo6AWME.

Very good.

I would also use these glasses so all the ugly people are replaced. The beach would be even more interesting in summer! Or any time of year for that matter!

erikals
08-28-2012, 10:30 PM
 
i wouldn't really care what solution that was used...
everything is better than we have right now... (nothing)

 

khan973
08-29-2012, 11:46 AM
At least we can "model" planes amongst other primitives in Layout.
We need a straightforward way to bend, taper, extend...

Matt
08-29-2012, 11:53 AM
Believe me, we know how important this is.

bobakabob
08-29-2012, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Matt. It would also be nice to have the flexibility of rendering in Layout's Perspective window (only possible in VPR).

khan973
08-29-2012, 02:18 PM

Today with DP_Filter, we can export almost all passes we want.
Pass management has been taken care of and we have Janus for more intensive exports.
AELink works like a charme too.

Camera modeling and things related to it are the Top major show stopper for intense post-production. Modeling to match a set is so painful that we can't rely on LW for that task. Unfortunately.

I can understand it's being taken in account but we've been asking this forever and there is no reliable solution to date to overcome this missing feature.

However, it's trus that a half solution can't be done. From what I understand, adding a modifying tool / deforming tool implies core changes. And Efforts won't be put in the Modeler if it has to be done in Layout sooner or later.
That's why I was hoping that one of the great developpers of our community would do it while we get something solid. Damnit, I'm ready to spend some money to get only that feature!

G-Man
08-29-2012, 03:56 PM
biliousfrog, nice job on the spot. I was totally waiting for the wife to look at the husband with the glasses and he's turned into a hunk Fabio type but they didn't go there.

tyrot
08-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Just as an idea:
1- put the bg image in layout
2- add nulls into corners of the building
3- nulls to point plugin to send those points into modeler
4- connect points to make a polygon

does it make sense?

GregMalick
08-29-2012, 05:21 PM

I hope you mean in both directions:

Modeler < == > Layout.

khan973
08-29-2012, 07:44 PM
Just as an idea:
1- put the bg image in layout
2- add nulls into corners of the building
3- nulls to point plugin to send those points into modeler
4- connect points to make a polygon

does it make sense?

Yeah this is another way too. I completemy forgot about Null to point. Thanks

tyrot
08-30-2012, 07:17 AM
khan i guess it is working!
NullstoPoints exporting those nulls and adding them into modeler in world space..

You gotta check readme.txt in the zip file. It creates .LS and you execute this .ls in modeler and it creates nulls. .HOW brilliant..

Carl merritt you rock man.!

erikals
08-30-2012, 08:04 AM
in Layout,

you can also do this >
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=junzMov8DMc

or this >
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQdBQBVw4kI

or this > (32bit PC only)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJOSCFEVSHE

or this > (32bit PC only)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdzYCKT9An4

 

jeric_synergy
08-30-2012, 08:34 AM
Hmmm..... Once back in Layout, could Effectors be used to nudge points around?

(The hackyist of hacks, but.....)

safetyman
08-30-2012, 09:25 AM
1. Merge Layout and Modeler into one app.
2. Problem solved.!!

(ahem....) In all serious, I'm not a "set extender" kind of user, so my opinion won't count for much, but it still seems sort of counter productive to keep going back and forth, as was stated earlier. So, to re-iterate, you've either got to have more modeling tools in Layout, or some way to have Layout's camera features in Modeler. Either way, isn't that one more step towards a unified app? <ducks to avoid things thrown>