PDA

View Full Version : DVD input is just black and white

lucca65
10-28-2003, 02:23 PM
Hey all.

I have a DVD player as an input on the SX-8, row 4 using only Y/C

It will display fine on Program out, and then...boom...I will lose the color. (It only displays black and white). After tinkering on the switcher sometimes it will come back, sometimes it won't until I reboot.

Also, anybody having the preview window go black and white on them as well, no matter the source?

WinXP, VT[3] with the new fix.
Nvidia Diplay with latest drivers.

Thanks for any help

Lucca

Jim Capillo
10-28-2003, 02:47 PM
Are these DVD's copy-protected? Perhaps you're running into the macrovision thingie.....

B. Schuster
10-28-2003, 02:58 PM
If it's not copy-protected, You might try checking the Y/C cable. I've had ones that will stop working and will start again just by wiggling them, (sensitive little wires)

lucca65
10-28-2003, 06:33 PM
Actually, I tried the Class on Demand training set first. Then a commercial/copyrighted DVD and the same thing happened.

You know, I didn't exactly check the cable so I will try that. Sometimes the obvious doesn't hit you right away.

Anybody experiencing the black and white thing on the preview bus? That is weired. It comes and goes. I will check all cables again.

Scott Bates
10-28-2003, 06:57 PM
Don't know about the Class on Demand DVDs, but it sure sounds like copy protection to me. Do you have one of your own home-burned DVDs you can test it with? Does the video level (luminance) kind of surge up and down also? I've seen that happen with Macrovision protection.

Scott Bates
10-28-2003, 07:00 PM
Or try using a different input on the SX-8 or bypass it altogether and go Y/C directly into the Toaster card to eliminate a variable.

lucca65
10-29-2003, 08:13 AM
Thanks will try all of them

:D

B. Schuster
10-29-2003, 08:18 AM
Does your player have a menu? If so, bring that up and see if It's B/W.

RayLarson
10-29-2003, 09:10 AM
I would suspect it is a cable problem. This brings up an issue with the poor design of the SVHS inputs on the SX-8. I have had cables just work themselves loose over time and cause the same problem. A better grade SVHS connector should be used in the manufacture of the SX-8, similar to those of professional decks that allow for a more secure connection.

Check the cable, try another.

lucca65
11-02-2003, 08:46 PM
OK. Here's a weird update.

DVD output on program out is fine.

DVD output on preview is Black and white.

If I work the T-bar on the switcher up and down a few times, I can get both outputs in color. If I switch to two other sources, placing them on program and preview, and then switch back to the DVD. You guessed it. B and W

:confused:

Paul Lara
11-03-2003, 08:25 AM
Lucca,
It sounds as if one of the connectors is not secure.
Double-check the bridgeboard/daughtercard/ribbon cable connectors.

lucca65
11-04-2003, 04:41 PM
Not to beat a dead horse, but the problem seems to have grown. My other inputs on the switcher are also previewing in black and white. Sometimes they are fine, then jump to bw.

I have removed all inputs from the switcher and started adding them one by one again to see if it was something I was doing but no luck. I do have one additional weird thing happening. Everytime I boot VT3 the switcher insists on adding composite c1a as an input. I have a COMPONENT BetaSP deck connected on row 1, so I don't know why the switcher places a composite (c1a) on the switcher each time I boot.

I was going to pull all the wires out of the SX8 and start over, but I figured if I am getting color output on the program bus, the connections are fine.

I will also check the VT cards as suggested above and report back. Anybody else having bw previews?

:(