PDA

View Full Version : LWCad 4.2 is out..

Snosrap
08-25-2012, 06:56 PM
.... updates look real sweet! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEhYEGfNL0U

hrgiger
08-25-2012, 06:58 PM
Just finished watching it from newsletter. Viktor is amazing.

DigitalSorcery8
08-25-2012, 07:09 PM
Same here.

He is really incredible.

Just might have to upgrade now. :thumbsup:

khan973
08-25-2012, 08:34 PM
wow! the Quadmapper is incredible! especially with Road option! A big time saver!
Thanks Viktor

Philbert
08-25-2012, 09:25 PM
Really cool stuff from Viktor. Unfortunately the videos are a little dry, but they get the point across.

tyrot
08-25-2012, 09:46 PM
QUADMAPPER -!!!! oh man what is that! I never saw anything like it.. HolyPoly! - that is im gonna upgrade my license! wohooo!

Oh man it is just incredible! I cannot believe he is solving every problem in his way - expansion button - ARE YOU KIDDING ME!

This is a game changer! I spend hours for a sidewalk last week ..man! Viktor God bless you and your family man!

Philbert
08-25-2012, 09:49 PM
My question about Quadmapper is, what happens on polys it can't handle or aren't quads?

OnlineRender
08-26-2012, 12:42 AM
picks jaw up from ground!

ShadowMystic
08-26-2012, 12:55 AM
I refuse to watch it because I already have plans to get LWCad and it'll make me want it more.And NOW

Waves of light
08-26-2012, 04:33 AM
There's a more detailed video on Quadmapper:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2lTYxFjAKk&feature=share&list=UUgTs0m6h8niJm8NtNRW7syQ

Verlon
08-26-2012, 05:03 AM
Just finished watching it from newsletter. Viktor is amazing.

Quoted for emphasis

prometheus
08-26-2012, 11:00 AM
Great stuff from Viktor.

I didn´t see any enhancement to dimension tools? Frankly..apart from all other amazing stuff from victor, I have to say that I do not like the dimension tools I have tested.
Coming from working with dimension tools in sketchup or deep exploration or solidworks, I feel like lwcad´s dimension tools are very poor.

Would be great if those were enhanced, unfortunatly perhaps Lightwave itself needs underhood changes to allow for parametric changes in order for picking up a dimension tool in a model, and change value of walls or windows and the rescaling of the item is done with that.

I can see LW cad shooting sky high as an attractive tool(more than now) when/if parametric modeling comes to lightwave.

The lw curve boolean seems nice, if it can handle curved splines as well?

Michael

Sensei
08-26-2012, 11:19 AM
By dimension tools you mean such drawing texts in viewport?

Modeler doesn't share viewport data in LWSDK..
(Layout does)

There is no way to learn f.e. how big is viewport, how much text will take on screen etc. etc.
Text can be draw only from left to right (not top-bottom, not to mention any angle).

gerry_g
08-26-2012, 12:37 PM
is this a freebee for V4 owners or not, site seems unclear says all upgrades go from 3+ but no mention of four ??

Cageman
08-26-2012, 01:06 PM
It seems it is a free update for v4.x owners. :)

Waves of light
08-26-2012, 01:19 PM
Yep, if you got to product activition and downloads, select 4.2 and stick in your email and serial it's free to v4 users.

prometheus
08-26-2012, 01:35 PM
By dimension tools you mean such drawing texts in viewport?

Modeler doesn't share viewport data in LWSDK..
(Layout does)

There is no way to learn f.e. how big is viewport, how much text will take on screen etc. etc.
Text can be draw only from left to right (not top-bottom, not to mention any angle).

Probably not possible with modeler structure of today I suspect..

Solidworks smart dimensions(parametric,changes on the values changes shapes sizes)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmfFlcMn9Io
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-rYZImUkyM

I like how you add dimension markers in sketchup too, but they arent parametric.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx9Fl5jXFKw

Adding construction guidelines (tape measure tool) that snap automaticly would be nice, I love the sketchup way with this too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXbyrZnqxOM

Deep exploration adding of dimension markers are very similar.

Would like to see some enhancement in window creation too, but for that to happen, parametric modeling would mean a lot, selecting area where windows are, and simple change amount of windows, change
window type etc.

sketchup has a nifty windowizer ruby script tool to specify amount of windows, but not parametric.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrCIeQWLTco

Steal the push and pull tool from sketchup and draw line tool too, with auto snapping..those are great, then you have some of the best stuff in there:)
Michael

jwiede
08-27-2012, 12:35 PM
Is anyone else on Mac seeing issues where the viewport widget text is offset from the little viewport widget rectangles? I am with freshly-downloaded and installed 4.2 here (my specs in sig), figured I'd ask if anyone else was too before reporting it to Viktor. Also, oddly, I'm not seeing some of the new widgets expected in the viewport (esp. TAN & bool) on certain tools. I've checked, and I'm definitely running the 4.2 version, though.

gerry_g
08-27-2012, 03:13 PM
yeah couldn't decide whether it was a feature and served a purpose or a bug

GraphXs
08-27-2012, 07:59 PM
Wow...great update!

jwiede
08-29-2012, 06:23 PM
Ugh, okay, I'll ping Viktor about what's going on with Mac viewport widgets in v4.2 then, as they're not very usable in their current state. Thanks Gerry!

KillMe
08-30-2012, 11:02 AM
well i finally got lwcad and DAMN its awesome - i just love the real time booleans - and the pipe tool and the snapping and and and - going back to playing - but damn anyone who uses modeler should have this

Waves of light
08-30-2012, 11:22 AM
well i finally got lwcad and DAMN its awesome - i just love the real time booleans - and the pipe tool and the snapping and and and - going back to playing - but damn anyone who uses modeler should have this

Lol... "he's one of us now. Whooooohahahahahhhhaaaaaarrr"

Live booleans are the biggest time saver ever.

Philbert
08-30-2012, 11:22 AM
I got LWCad free with one of the LW updates and kept updating it ever since. Brilliant marketing decision on Viktor's part.

Waves of light
08-30-2012, 11:37 AM
I got LWCad free with one of the LW updates and kept updating it ever since. Brilliant Marketing decision on Viktor's part.

Yer, I think that was how I got it originally. 9.6 with LWCAD and hardcore membership. Not a bad deal that one.

Philbert
08-30-2012, 11:45 AM
Hard Core was 10. 0, no? I believe the version that had LWCad also came with UV Edit Pro. 9.2 I'm thinking.

Waves of light
08-30-2012, 12:06 PM
I remember now, I purchased 9.6 from OneVideo and it came with a crazy offer of hardcore membership and LWCAD called the 'NewTek Europe bundle'.

This was my second seat of 9.6, but I purchased it late on, just when core was being developed.

Verlon
08-30-2012, 01:00 PM
Lol... "he's one of us now. Whooooohahahahahhhhaaaaaarrr"

Live booleans are the biggest time saver ever.

Yeah, LWCad is like ST:TNG Borg if, instead of creepy cyborgs, they were all 7 of 9 from Voyager. Everyone is anxious to get assimilated :)

I got it with my pre-order of LW9, and like many others, have been updating since then.

hrgiger
08-30-2012, 01:53 PM
Yes, LWCAD 1.0 (or was it 1.5?) came with my LW9. Thanks for the free modeling crack Newtek and Viktor. I've been a junkie ever since.

KillMe
08-30-2012, 02:27 PM
funny thing is i got that lwcad 1.0 offer but kinda ignoured it - i installed it but before i really used it much i did a reformat of my computer and never got around to reinstalling it - but 4.2 is in a different league no ignouring this stuff

Nicolas Jordan
08-30-2012, 02:48 PM
Yes, LWCAD 1.0 (or was it 1.5?) came with my LW9. Thanks for the free modeling crack Newtek and Viktor. I've been a junkie ever since.

That's when I got started using it too! :thumbsup:

gordonrobb
08-31-2012, 03:07 AM
And me. I don't use it enough though. Keep forgetting about it :)

KillMe
08-31-2012, 06:52 AM
as a lwcad newbie can someone tell me if you can adjust the radius of pipe corners globally and not just indivuidually? - not really on topic i know but close enough

Waves of light
08-31-2012, 07:51 AM
Don't know of any way to do it whilst building the pipe (as in left mouse button or right mouse button combinations) but if you bring up the numeric panel, you can change it under 'width/diameter'.

hrgiger
08-31-2012, 09:01 AM
as a lwcad newbie can someone tell me if you can adjust the radius of pipe corners globally and not just indivuidually? - not really on topic i know but close enough

Unfortunately no not any way that I know of. Some of the LWCAD tools allow you to shift-click and do multiple control points at a time (like the mass round tool) but pipe does not appear to allow you to do that.

However, if you know you want all of your radiuses to be the same on a piece of pipe you can draw out a pipe with at least one corner to adjust and while the tool is still active, click back to the corner control point, adjust it to what you want, and then click back to the end of the pipe you were drawing out, and all the corners will be the same as you draw out the rest of the pipe.

colkai
09-04-2012, 10:08 AM
Been away, finally managed to download the update. The new curve functionality alone is rockin'. Kudos once again to Viktor for pumping up modeller functionality, a must buy for those who haven't got it yet and wonder if they should. :)
I continue to be amazed and impressed by LWCAD with each release. :thumbsup: