PDA

View Full Version : dp nodes vs c4d mograph?

Hail
08-24-2012, 05:58 AM
not trying to start a flame war here but just curious to know how well dp nodes can stand up against the almighty mograph in c4d.

erikals
08-24-2012, 06:55 AM
 
well, i've seen some cool stuff using the new bullet dynamics, and the even newer flocking in 11.5, +Dponts nodes can do some very cool stuff.

i think much mograph stuff is doable in LW, but few of us actually make it.

mograph is easy (afaik) while in LW it takes a bit more setup, and there are few tutorials to get "mograph-like" results...

(not sure if every mograph technique is possible to replicate in Lightwave though)

 

jeric_synergy
08-24-2012, 08:36 AM
I'm learning C4D, and IMO while it's possible to replicate some of the effects C4D has with LW, you have to be an absolute rocket scientist to figure it out.

Certainly once someone shows you the way its possible, but that's just rote following: the initial effect is ridiculously difficult to design.

C4D has, to me, the feeling of software 'wizards' to address the things that most users will want to do. It's like how AE has a whole set of tools to manipulate text, that you can combine in virtually limitless ways.

With the lack of actual dynamic text objects (just changing the actual text, ie the letters themselves, is a major chore), LW starts out from a deep deep hole for mograph.

khan973
08-25-2012, 09:01 AM
I am working on some stuff to showcase things like that.
But true, it requires some trials and errors to figure out how to get things done.

It's clear that the lack of modeling tools is a limit.
Generating text, letters is definitely one of them. Also, even in modeler, text generation with rounders that work all the time should be a must have.
It's always giving me a head ache to have simple texts with rounder that actually work

jeric_synergy
08-25-2012, 09:48 AM
I fear Adobe's 3D initiative will "lap" LW before we get good text capabilities.

raw-m
08-25-2012, 10:04 AM
I use LW for my mograph stuff. I simply don't have the time to invest in learning c4d at the mo. I'm getting a library of DP moves together and find that once you have your head round a couple then they are pretty straight forward to implement. I'm especially looking forward to the Spline Deformer DP has coming to the mac. LW isn't the first choice for mograph but this forum is such a friendly and helpful resource with an incredible wealth of knowledge I'm soon after the results I want. I'm hoping with 11.5's Genoma and GoAE in the works and updates for flocking, instancing and bullet, it'll only get better!

Also, VideoCoPilots Element 3d is the future for 3d text and shapes in AE for me so I've got no reason to jump ship just yet! I'm hearing that the next version will have animated extrudes and bevels so there probably won't be much need for c4d anyway!

monovich
08-27-2012, 09:50 AM
LW doesn't have a modifier stack so pretty much can't animate the creation of geometry so while you can approximate some of the C4D mograph tools, you can't duplicate their functionality entirely. Nor can you do any of it as easily as C4D. Oh well.