PDA

View Full Version : Printng Lightwave renders

rebohn
03-03-2003, 01:39 PM
I want to print out a show of my renderings with my new Epson Stylus Color 2200 printer. The preliminary results are fantastic, but i need more control over the color, all through the process. I am still using Lightwave 5.6 until this project of almost 2 years is completed--NewTek told me I could not port my scenes to the latest verson.
I need to know what colorspace to use to tag LW5.6 renders in Photoshop--I am now using AdobeRGB (1998). Any other advice would very helpful.
Thanks
Richard
Note: Mac is G4 dual with Titanium

mlinde
03-03-2003, 10:25 PM
If you are trying to color match to your screen, you will need to manually tweak all the images in PS. The old-school color match method is to use a single image, tweak it until it prints the way you want it, then use colorsync & the onboard color controls of the monitor to adjust your monitor to display the image as close to how it prints as you can, then adjust all your other images to look (onscreen) as you want them to in print.

What you are talking about, for the tagged colorspace, is a more complex method, and can cause good and bad results, from what I've heard. I've been doing this so long I work the old fashioned way (see above). If you want to try the colorspace thing, I'd just try setting PS up to use the default colorsync workspace, and see if that works for you. If not, you might try reading the PS manual about using the colorspaces.

paintboy
03-04-2003, 06:58 AM
colorspace tags would make very little if any difference in printing to a Inkjet printer.(we use colormatch RGB as most of the work we do here is destined for CMYK printing) HOWEVER... having a calibrated monitor(so you are judging values correctly) and a good icc profile of the printer can make a huge difference.
there are tons of both visual and instrumented monitor calibration solutions available....
these folks make terrific profiles for epson printers....they make the custom profiles for our epson 7500's
www.inkjetmall.com
if you are please with the preliminary passes, wait until you get a real profile for the epson(epson profiles suck)you cannot belive the difference!
great resource info there as well, about colorsync workflow.calibration. etc.
have fun.

mlinde
03-04-2003, 07:19 AM
Late night posts sometimes are a bit erratic, I think. Steps for calibrating your monitor to your printer:

1) Print an image with a wide color range.
2) Utilizing said print, use the color-sync software on your mac to calibrate your monitor to match the appearance of the print. (do this at least weekly, if printing is your livelyhood)
3) NOW you can adjust the color of your print (should be fairly safe) to appear as you want it to.

I checked out that inkjetmall, it seems like a great resource if printing your output is a paycheck. The cost of the ICC profiles are not outrageous, for a one-time purchase, especially if it provides as great an improvement as paintboy says.

rebohn
03-04-2003, 12:08 PM
Thanks for your replies. I guess the Colormatch or AdobeRGB will suffice to tag renders coming into Photoshop. I have a calibratable monitor, so the tagged profile method works OK for starters. I am a neophyte at printing, and haven't even explored the CMYK route yet.
As I work I expect my eyeballs to get more educated and I'll want a printer profile. Thanks for the recommendation for inkjetmall.com.
All of the people I have spoken with at Epson and Adobe seem skeptical about ColorSync. It seems like a potentially great situation to create the color in Lightwave on a calibrated monitor and proof from the same system. Maybe I'm just a fool for whatever sounds simplest, but I'll have to keep experimenting...

paintboy
03-04-2003, 01:38 PM
for your use right now...
in the epson driver window choose automatic mode.

stay clear of colorsync unless you have profiles for your device.
without GOOD profiles things can get fairly whacked
color sync is like alot of other things, if you dont understand what its doing,
and how, it can be a bit "dodgy"

choose 1 media type and stick with it regardless of what type of
media you put in the printer. Premium glossy usually provides the smoothest
ramps. Each media setting is the equivelent of a different LUT
so if you switch these around it makes it tough to get tuned the way Mlinde described.

cmyk stinks...tiny gamut, but is a necessary evil, dont go there unless
its for a "paycheck"....entirely,completely different can'o worms.

there use to be an image on the photoshop cd called
'ole no moirie which is a good test image,
happy printing

rebohn
03-06-2003, 09:21 PM
Thanks, paintboy. A custom profile for the Epson is in my future, I think. However, I finally got decent results by turning color management off in the Print dialog in Photoshop. This decommissions the printer's interference and seems to let the profiles take over. Everything now prints very close to on-screen color.
There must be some kind of screw-up in the software for this new printer; if you choose Automatic you get wild red color casts. This was driving me crazy for a while, but Epson posted a message on this problem.
Luckily, they were giving away 100 sheet packs of photo paper with the printer--I went through a [email protected]#%load of it screwing around with the settings, and tagging incoming files with everything available before I go your first reply--thanks again.
As regards CMYK, i have no experience with this; it might be an option sometime, but I'll keep it simple with RGB if I can--I am printing only my own stuff.