PDA

View Full Version : Siggraph 2012 pics

pixeltek
08-23-2012, 01:32 PM
Like I have done, for many years now, I'd like to share a few pics from Siggraph with you. This was a very small exhibit and unfortunately I spent just one day there. Next year, Siggraph 2013 will be in Anaheim, near Disneyland, so a Siggraph event organizer told me. 2013 will be their 40th anniversary, and I would expect better industry participation. I assume it all depends on the state of the economy. Having said that, Newtek's booth was placed perfectly, overshadowing almost every other booth there with activities and with general energy. So, just FYI, click on the Siggraph2012 banner and you'll see a little bit of this exhibit through my eyes. My last visit, since I skipped Vancouver - but won't in 2014, was in 2010, when Shatner and Dick van Dyke were the center of virtually all of Siggraph visitors' attention for a while. :thumbsup:

http://www.cosmic-pearl.com/shows.htm

pixeltek

Nicolas Jordan
08-23-2012, 02:32 PM
Thanks for posting your photos. Helps get a sense of what it was like at the show for those of us who didn't make it this year.

If your planning on going to Vancouver in 2014 don't count on Newtek being there. Maybe they will surprise everyone and show up in Vancouver this time but I think for some reason they figure their main market are studios in the L.A. area. To expand the user base they are going to have to do shows where there might not be as many Lightwave users present. Marketing to new users is one of the main reasons to do Siggraph shows.

pixeltek
08-23-2012, 02:48 PM
Thanks for pointing that out. I was not aware of that. That will save me some time and money. I'll just travel elsewhere. To me as a hobbyist, being there is not a business necessity, but usually just a fun activity.

Nicolas Jordan
08-23-2012, 03:28 PM
I'm probably going to plan on going to Siggraph 2014(Vancouver) anyway even if Newtek has another no show there. Newtek did technically have a booth at Siggraph 2011 Vancouver but there was just nothing in it except for a few lounge chairs. :D

pixeltek
08-23-2012, 04:03 PM
Haha! A couple of lounge chairs for exhausted 'wavers. Funny. No booth babes either? Too bad. Well, let's see how things shape up. The economy was already on the slide then and that may have been part of the problem. If they decide to go, I will, just for the general experience.

BigHache
08-23-2012, 05:43 PM
Cool. I haven't been since 2000.

I think it was the tomatoes burning. :D

pixeltek
08-23-2012, 09:43 PM
Wow! Then you'll have fun looking at least at the one from 2010, and one more, the one from 2006. That was the last time Kiki was hosting for Newtek and, I believe, Dick van Dyke was there as well.
Aside...you can see my own config here, http://www.cosmic-pearl.com/ under 'My Computer' and I, too, have one of those fine EVGA GTX 260 cards. It is one of those that had some real legs, isn't it? However, with several new generations since, I am planning to upgrade by the end of the year. Looking at maybe GTX 660 or 670. I figure one of those will serve me for the next 5-6 years at least. What do you think?

digefxgrp
08-24-2012, 12:36 AM
Hot dang...I would have been spending most my time over at the Scanline VFX booth :devil:

pixeltek
08-24-2012, 12:47 AM
A man after my heart. :D