PDA

View Full Version : Syncing cameras to Tricaster

houseofgrace
08-22-2012, 05:02 PM
Hi! I'm needing some suggestions as to which genlock equipment I should buy for my tv production studio. We will be using the Tricaster 855 multi system (pal/NTSC). What solutions are out there?:)

I've attached a very rough sketch of our studio set up. (at times we may use 8 cameras, but for the next while we will be using 4 cameras)

We will be using two digital HD displays in the studio so our host and guests can see what is on program.

In our TV control room we will be using two 42" flat screen displays for viewing our cameras and the interface along with one 24" display.

What type of genlock or sync equipment could possibly deliver our sync?

kltv
08-22-2012, 06:15 PM
With a TriCaster, technically you do not need to genlock the cameras. You can, but you don't have to. The TriCaster has internal frame syncs that will time the sources internally. What cameras are you looking at using?

Kris

houseofgrace
08-23-2012, 10:41 AM
We're considering buying 4 of these cameras:
ProHD SOLID STATE MEDIA CAMCORDER W/CANON 14X4.4MM ENG LENS GY-HM790U

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/features.jsp?model_id=MDL101921

kltv
08-23-2012, 12:44 PM
Those cameras do have the option to genlock. You may get slightly improved latency through the TriCaster system if you choose to run genlock to the cameras. It isn't necessary with the TriCaster, but if you have other devices that you want to get everything locked to, you can. You'd probably want to pick up a sync generator to provide the black reference signal for the facility.

Something like these:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/22740-REG/Horita_CSG50_CSG_50_Color_Bar.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/582219-REG/Leader_410BB_410BB_NTSC_Sync_Generator.html

Kris

houseofgrace
08-23-2012, 07:33 PM
I need something that can give us PAL and NTSC.

Brian Mirrlees
08-23-2012, 09:42 PM
I need something that can give us PAL and NTSC.

You mention that you are basing your system around the Multi-standard Tricaster 855.

Why do you need to have PAL standard capability? Do you have plans to travel your equipment/system outside of North America to Europe or Australia for production work?

You are spec'ing an HD format camera which is capable of Multi-format, and sync system Multi-standard. But it will only do one format/standard at a time.

Assuming that you are planning in working in HD, you have to decide (if you have not already) which format you plan to produce content/programming in... 720p or 1080i

I assume you are working in California, so the NTSC sync standard is what you should be looking at.

As mentioned by Kris, you can connect each of your untimed video sources/cameras directly to the Tricaster and it will time them using the internal synchros.

Or you can use a common external reference and distribute it to all of your cameras and the Tricaster. Use a signal called Color Black or Black Burst (BB). Or you could use another timed signal which has a stable burst in it, This is a VBS signal.

I prefer to use a stable colour black signal over a VBS type signal (like another PGM source, or prompter feed etc., which I find to be more prone to drift).

Connect the sync ref. to the EXT. Sync or Genlock input of each camera, or to the sync / genlock input of each camera CCU (either multicore, triax, or optical fibre). Also, connect the ext. reference to the Genlock input on the rear of the Tricaster 855 chassis.

(NTSC and PAL were two of the predominate analog television system standards or formats... PAL largely used in Europe, and NTSC being the North American standard used throughout The United States, Canada and Mexico.)