PDA

View Full Version : A Blast from the Past

jburford
08-22-2012, 03:04 AM
Article from June 2002 Issue of 3D World.

Lightwave becomes a “Two Mom” Application:Peebler

Lightwave has become a “two mom application”, Ex-NewTek Executive VP Brad Peebler and founding programmers Allen Hastings and Stuart Ferguson have created Luxology,LLC. . . . .

Luxology is indepently financed and owns the intellectual properties to all aspects of Lightwave.

Even though the application is indelibly linked with Newtek, the San Antonio based company has only ever acted as publisher and distributor, which is how the relationship will continue.

Peebler insists that this set-up offer a much stronger development path, given that it now has more people developing the codebase than ever before.

“Lightwave Users should be pleased as they now have two companies working to better their application,” he told CG Channel.

“Its kind of like having two Moms!”

Hope this is still not the case, and Newtek owns the full rights now.

50one
08-22-2012, 03:15 AM
Article from June 2002 Issue of 3D World.

Lightwave becomes a “Two Mom” Application:Peebler

Lightwave has become a “two mom application”, Ex-NewTek Executive VP Brad Peebler and founding programmers Allen Hastings and Stuart Ferguson have created Luxology,LLC. . . . .

Luxology is indepently financed and owns the intellectual properties to all aspects of Lightwave.

Even though the application is indelibly linked with Newtek, the San Antonio based company has only ever acted as publisher and distributor, which is how the relationship will continue.

Peebler insists that this set-up offer a much stronger development path, given that it now has more people developing the codebase than ever before.

“Lightwave Users should be pleased as they now have two companies working to better their application,” he told CG Channel.

“Its kind of like having two Moms!”

only people that knows know for sure what happened 10yrs ago bewteen Newtek and Luxology, as long ast the userbase is happy and both companies doing great, i don't really give rat's *** about what happened.

DogBoy
08-22-2012, 04:51 AM

I'd say this was a case of Peebler FUD. As 50one says, no-one has ever revealed what went on, but in retrospect that passage reads like a bargaining ploy by Peebler for his new company to continue developing LightWave for Newtek, but as an outside contractor.

Obviously this never happened. Luxology went on to make Modo and Newtek are still developing LightWave.

Snosrap
08-22-2012, 07:17 AM
I remember the "two mommies" comment well. While I think it's unfortunate that a small market segment (3D apps.) got splintered, it does appear that all the companies servicing the market are healthy. While I bought into modo at 101 and continued through to 601, I am so glad that the two (NT and Lux) split up, otherwise we would have been stuck with modo. Unfortunately for Luxology, I will no longer be upgrading my modo, as the recent developments of LW seem to be filling my needs nicely. :thumbsup:

jburford
08-22-2012, 08:55 AM
Ran across it, while cleaning up house, looking through old mags to see about keeping or trashing.

It was like, what.....? Did not remember that one at all.

I still gotta get around to upgrading to 11.x, and yes things are looking real nice in the LW Camp. Lots of movement and momentum.

Nicolas Jordan
08-22-2012, 09:47 AM
Looking at the way things exist now it appears that Luxology may have had some rights to the code in Lightwave that existed at that time but not the Lightwave product itself. This would have given Luxology a base of code to use for developing modo which would evolve to become very different in many ways than Lightwave. It seems Newtek was then allowed to continue to develop Lightwave as a product which has actually made it very different in many ways than what it was back then. So both programs have evolved in different directions giving us unique products to choose from. I still remember the luxology.net website that had Lightwave assets on it for a short while before the corporate split took place.