PDA

View Full Version : assigning multiple textures to objects and once?

stevenpalomino
08-21-2012, 06:02 PM
Hey all, I was just wondering if there was a way to assign multiple textures to objects at once. Here's what my scene looks like:

I have 41 videos that I need to assign to planes and was wondering if there was an easy way to assign them other than assigning a new material to each plane.

nickdigital
08-21-2012, 06:12 PM
Dodgy's ImagesToPlanes will automatically do that with an image. It makes poly cards so not sure that's what you need. Also not sure it'll work with video files.

http://www.mikegreen.name/

nickdigital
08-21-2012, 06:13 PM
Redundant listing.

stevenpalomino
08-21-2012, 06:29 PM
oh snap... is it even possible to import .mov files into lightwave? I get a "could not load clip. unsupported file type and/or file not found." error :/

nickdigital
08-21-2012, 06:32 PM
oh snap... is it even possible to import .mov files into lightwave? I get a "could not load clip. unsupported file type and/or file not found." error :/

You have to use 32 bit LW to use QTs.

stevenpalomino
08-21-2012, 06:35 PM
hmm.. would I be able to import them, assign them, then switch back to 64 bit you think?

stevenpalomino
08-21-2012, 07:15 PM
hmm... strangely I get the same error for the 32 bit version :/

**Edit** Sorry. The file I was using was an mp4 all the other ones were .mov . I guess mp4s don't work. Works on 32 bit now :)

nickdigital
08-21-2012, 07:17 PM
Codec issue?

No, 64 won't be able to import the QT even though you set up the surfaces in 32. The issue is with the .mov file itself.

stevenpalomino
08-21-2012, 07:24 PM
Well that's a bummer. Do y'all keep a copy of 32 bit LW on all machines over there at Nick for these types of problems? Or do you just stick with 32 bit most of the time?

Cryonic
08-21-2012, 07:43 PM
simpler to use image sequences. Then you don't have to worry about codec issues (unless png/jpg/tiff have issues). Yes, it will eat up more drive space, but does reduce a lot of these issues.

stevenpalomino
08-21-2012, 08:16 PM
Yeah. I've been looking for a video to image sequence converter. Any suggestions?

nickdigital
08-21-2012, 09:22 PM
Yeah. I've been looking for a video to image sequence converter. Any suggestions?

Yes I keep both versions of LW available but we rarely have to go 32 bit. I think QTPro can export images. There are probably free apps that do the same thing bit I don't know of any offhand. I'd do it in AE.

If you can use that ImageToPlane script you could build the polyz with just a still from each movie. Then just set each still to a sequence. At least this way the script did the bulk of the work.

stevenpalomino
08-21-2012, 09:26 PM
Yes. That's what I was planning on doing after doing a few tests. I ended up using a program called "Avidemux" to convert the video to images. I then used the imageToPlane script and also his scatter plugin to space out the planes on the Z axis since they were all on top of each other (is there an easier way to space them? It's more of a jitter tool than an exact spacing tool).
got the job done. Great script!

nickdigital
08-21-2012, 09:41 PM
(is there an easier way to space them? It's more of a jitter tool than an exact spacing tool).

Don't know of one offhand but I'm sure one of the forum regulars might know of something. Sorry, don't feel like doing a web search right now on my new smartphone. Just typing all this is an adventure, lol.

stevenpalomino
08-21-2012, 10:07 PM
hahaha thanks anyway :) what kind of phone is it btw ;)

nickdigital
08-21-2012, 10:38 PM
hahaha thanks anyway :) what kind of phone is it btw ;)

GalaxyS3

stevenpalomino
08-21-2012, 10:48 PM
Ah! I just got that same phone! Nifty little sucker! :D

stevenpalomino
08-21-2012, 10:57 PM
On another note: Does anyone know how I could possibly import one of each of my image sequences. I have 41 of them that add up to roughly 7000 images. I just don't want to select them once and find out I have to re-select them later

Sensei
08-21-2012, 11:19 PM
I have 41 videos that I need to assign to planes and was wondering if there was an easy way to assign them other than assigning a new material to each plane.

Did you see mine video tutorial How To Enumerate Polygons:
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=129282

You could unweld planes, run tool enumerating polygons, each of them will have different weight.
Then in Node Editor set it up like in video tutorial How To Color Clones:
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=129648

But instead of Clone Index, use previously made Weight map from enumeration.

Click Show Outputs for every entry in Gradient, so they are exposed.
And you can connect 2D Textures > Image node or whatever you like to keys.

stevenpalomino
08-21-2012, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the reply Sensei! I wish I could buy your plugin. It seems like I'd have to buy the whole modeling package ($300) just to get the plugin. Although, that is an incredible price (I've been looking at all your tools for a while now haha)! I will be adding it to my budget in the near future. All your plugins are freaking awesome and thanks so much for developing for LW! I just don't have the budget now on this current project. But that will be so useful for me in the future! Lots of great uses!

nickdigital
08-22-2012, 12:04 AM
On another note: Does anyone know how I could possibly import one of each of my image sequences. I have 41 of them that add up to roughly 7000 images. I just don't want to select them once and find out I have to re-select them later

What do you mean "by one of each"?

On the plugin topic if you can afford db&w's frameD I highly recommend it if your going to be working with sequences a lot.

stevenpalomino
08-22-2012, 12:21 AM
Well.. I solved the getting them into modeler problem.. but now when I try to send them to layout it says it can't find the file but the number of the file doesn't even exist in the first place??! For example, I have "Plane0001-Plane0385" But layout says "can't find file "plane4890" or something like that. Anyone come across that? :/

nickdigital
08-22-2012, 12:39 AM
What if you setup your file to have an underscore? Plane_####.ext? Also padding with a leading zero might help but not 100% sure on that one. Hopefully it's not a bug with long sequences.

stevenpalomino
08-22-2012, 12:49 AM
Yeah I read something from an earlier thread where someone thought there was a 999 image sequence limit.. I was going to try the underscore next.. I'll let you know... thanks again :)

stevenpalomino
08-22-2012, 08:06 AM
looks like that solved the problem :) Thanks everyone! :)

stevenpalomino
08-22-2012, 09:00 AM
phooey. I'm getting some weird clipping of my background images when I render. The near planes render just fine, but the back ones don't show up. Show up fine in VPR just not in F9 any ideas? (green renders, red doesn't)

nickdigital
08-22-2012, 09:25 AM
Are there transparent surfaces?

stevenpalomino
08-22-2012, 09:29 AM
no, everything is 100% diffuse. Nothing transparent. Like I said, renders out in VPR just fine. :/

nickdigital
08-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Can you post the scene with just the polys?...no image maps

stevenpalomino
08-22-2012, 10:37 AM
Whoa! Turned on double-sided and it worked :/ It wasn't flipped though :/