PDA

View Full Version : Pinning nulls to specific points on a morphing model?

souzou
08-21-2012, 05:31 PM
Hi guys,

Wonder if anyone can help with this, I'm animating a jellyfish and have got a bit stuck. I have my tendrils animating using MetaLink to polychains with ClothFX on them and that's all good, but I need to parent/link the top points of the tendrils to specific points on the main body of the jellyfish (which is deforming with endomorphs).

So my thinking was to parent each tendril to a null and then pin that to a specific point on the main body, but not sure how to go about doing that... or am I approaching this all wrong?

Cheers,
Matt

sudac20
08-21-2012, 06:20 PM
Run soft fx with a 0% value, calculate... under the editfx tab there is an option to export motion of a point, use that motion the null and parent object accordingly

RebelHill
08-22-2012, 03:30 AM
Nodal... Node motion on the nulls, DP point info, pick the appropriate point ID, position to position. (world co-ords may be needed, if there's no match with either, make sure the mesh and nulls are both in the same parent space/world relative to one another.

souzou
08-22-2012, 07:10 AM
Thanks guys. :bowdown: @sudac20 that worked perfectly, so that's a great fallback, but obviously the nodal approach doesn't bake anything so would be preferable to use *if* I can get it working properly.

@RebelHill I'm close but it's not working quite right. The null is following the point perfectly but there's a lag on the tendril - it is in the correct position on frame 0 but as soon as it moves it lags behind. When the body stops it catches up to the correct position. If I turn the FX off it follows the null perfectly so it looks like a setting in the ClothFX but haven't found a working combination yet... will keep playing with different settings...

Cheers,
Matt

RebelHill
08-22-2012, 07:50 AM
yeah, sorry, that's just an interactivity issue... it'll render fine, should also preview fine. if you wanna be sure to lock it down for final, use MFs motion baker to key down the results of node motion.

souzou
08-22-2012, 08:14 AM
yeah, sorry, that's just an interactivity issue... it'll render fine, should also preview fine. if you wanna be sure to lock it down for final, use MFs motion baker to key down the results of node motion.

Hmm no it previews/renders with the same lag. Will keep investigating...

souzou
08-28-2012, 09:00 AM
Hey all,

I couldn't fix the lag issue so I went soft_fx with 0% value route. I did some tests and all was working fine, so I exported all (64!) null motion paths but now I have a weird problem with scaling. So my setup is:

Null (motion path)
> Tendril polychain with ClothFX
>> Tendril sub-d with FX_MetaLink

Overall scale is 0.2. When I add MetaLink to the tendril it is scaling to 1 in the X and Z but staying at 0.2 in the Y. This is regardless of whether I set the scaling to 0.2 in the main null or in the polychain. If I turn MetaLink off the tendril shrinks back to 0.2 scale in all axis. Even if I then parent this to another parent null and scale everything down only the length (y axis) will scale on the tendril. :bangwall:

Anybody got any ideas of what the problem could be? Or am I going to have to resize the model in Modeler and keep everything at scale 1 to avoid problems?

Thanks,
Matt

RebelHill
08-28-2012, 12:10 PM
did you try the MF motion baker?

souzou
08-29-2012, 06:17 AM
did you try the MF motion baker?

For which approach, the nodal route?

souzou
08-29-2012, 06:22 AM
I ended up scaling the model down in modeler so I could leave everything unscaled (ie. scale = 1) in layout and that fixed the problem.

ClothFX-MetaLink seems to not like scaling, I wonder if I should fogbugz it?

GregMalick
08-29-2012, 09:32 AM
I ended up scaling the model down in modeler so I could leave everything unscaled (ie. scale = 1) in layout and that fixed the problem.

ClothFX-MetaLink seems to not like scaling, I wonder if I should fogbugz it?

Indeed you should.

RebelHill
08-29-2012, 09:55 AM
For which approach, the nodal route?

Yeah... nodal pin, then run MF motion bake on it (turn off nodal mot) should be no lag.

kfinla
08-30-2012, 04:30 AM
I was using the "anchor" motion filter a bit ago an noticed lag also... like described above where frame 0 might be fine, and perhaps the last.. preview did not make the issue disappear. Anyways, ya looks like LW needs some interactivity/update love.

souzou
08-30-2012, 04:49 AM
Ah I forgot to turn off nodal motion once baked, d'oh. Yep that fixes the lag issue. I think setup time is probably about the same as generating the paths from SoftFX but then you have that flexibility to change things much more quickly if the animation changes. Nice one thanks :thumbsup:

I'll fogbugz the scaling issue when I get a chance.

evolross
08-30-2012, 11:16 AM
Hmm no it previews/renders with the same lag. Will keep investigating...
If I recall, I did a similar thing once, always saw the lag in OpenGL and F9, but upon an F10, it will render correctly with no lag. I know, a little crazy, but it should work.

souzou
08-30-2012, 04:01 PM
If I recall, I did a similar thing once, always saw the lag in OpenGL and F9, but upon an F10, it will render correctly with no lag. I know, a little crazy, but it should work.

Hmm didn't try an F10. Will try and double-check that if I get a spare 10mins tomorrow...