PDA

View Full Version : LightWave User Group EUROPE & PRO

khan973
08-21-2012, 12:59 AM
Hi guys,

we have been talking about building a stronger European community so I created a Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/LightWave-User-Group-Europe/458302177525276) and a Facebook Group (http://www.facebook.com/groups/elwug.pro/) to better interact with each other, us European LightWavers.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/static/lw/gfx/siggraph_2012/hall_banner_698px.jpg

LightWave User Group EUROPE PRO
http://www.facebook.com/groups/elwug.pro/
Europe LightWave User Group PRO is a place for professional LightWave artists to share knowledge, interact with each other and eventually work with each other.
This closed group is meant to preserve a certain quality of questions and answers and share useful informations for professionals.
https://www.lightwave3d.com/static/lw/gfx/siggraph_2012/lightwave_shirt-rear_218px.jpg

We Professionals don't necessarely have a lot of time. We often need fast, high level and production oriented answers.
Forums are great but sometimes being on an other time zone can be tricky.
Also, we often need to contact LightWavers in our country or Europe to hire high profiles. It is not easy to find them.

I hope this group will help in something.

To keep the level of the answers High and to serve the purpose of this group, the admins will accept only professionals (send a link to your work / company)

ADMIN NEEDED
If you are interested in growing the community of professionals in your country or know a person that has been around for a while please suggest.

LightWave User Group EUROPE
This Page is for European LightWave users to share knowledge, tips and passion for LightWave 3D. Let's build a stonger European community!
https://www.lightwave3d.com/static/lw/gfx/banners/lightwave_11-new_features_952px.jpg

This is not by any mean to dissociate European towards america, asian, african, australian users. You are all welcome on the page too.
It is a way to identiify, connect, meet each other and build a stronger community.
Pros, hobbyists, teachers, students, please share your local infos about LightWave.
Don't hesitate to speak in your own language if you don't speak english.
N'hsitez pas parler votre langue si vous ne parlez pas anglais.
Non esitate a parlare nella vostra lingua se non parlano inglese.
No dude en hablar en su propio idioma si usted no habla Ingls.
Μην διστάσετε να μιλήσει στη δική σας γλώσσα, αν δεν μιλούν αγγλικά.
No hesite em falar em seu prprio idioma, se voc no fala Ingls.
Posi parlar en la seva llengua si vost no parla angls.
Zgern Sie nicht, in Ihrer eigenen Sprache sprechen, wenn Sie nicht Englisch sprechen.
Tv ikke med at tale p dit eget sprog, hvis du ikke taler engelsk.
l epri puhua omalla kielell, jos et puhu Englanti.
Ekki hika vi a tala nu eigin tungumli ef talar ekki ensku.
Aarzel niet om te spreken in je eigen taal als je geen Engels spreken.
N bodh leisce ort labhairt i do theanga fin m dhanann t nach labhraonn Barla.
Ikke nl med snakke p ditt eget sprk hvis du ikke snakker engelsk.
Tveka inte att tala p ditt eget sprk om du inte talar engelska.
Nie wahaj się i mwić w swoim własnym języku, jeśli nie mwią po angielsku.
Nu ezitați să vorbească n limba dvs. propriul dacă nu vorbesc limba engleză.

PS: Images are just for your entertainment :)

prometheus
08-21-2012, 01:41 AM
Dont have facebook and do not plan to get it either:D
Guess I have to stick with the forums.

Michael

john_the_blind
08-21-2012, 02:12 AM
goooood!!! i m go in now !

Loc

HenrikSkoglund
08-21-2012, 02:59 AM

Michael

Holy cow! That must take some resistance from your side? :)

kopperdrake
08-21-2012, 03:19 AM
Not at all Henrik - I'm of the same persuasion, don't have a facebook account, don't want one, either professionally or personally. The edges between those two worlds on Facebook are so blurred that it's more of a hindrance than a help imho when it comes to either :)

Not to poo-poo this great idea Khan - good luck with it, if it helps consolidate users in Europe then all the better, but for me forums are the best :)

khan973
08-21-2012, 04:28 AM
The purpose isn't the same, of course the forum is awesome and has tools to find whatever you want. Bt to share infos on a daily basis or get fast answers, it's always welcome.

I feel you about the edge between pro and personnal life, I just separated both by creating a second Facebook.

Hieron
08-21-2012, 04:47 AM
Great initiative, was hoping for a meeting already.
Don't have Facebook though..

And not quite sure about separating profesionals.. I would assume to be eligible but not sure if it is nice to all the cooperative and helpful people on this board over the years..

Do understand the point though..

Tobian
08-21-2012, 04:51 AM
Nice idea, but sadly I don't think I apply, as I am not fully a 'professional' only semi-professional.

*sigh*

Mastoy
08-21-2012, 04:55 AM
I'm in !

khan973
08-21-2012, 05:11 AM
@Hieron, I get your point.
It's absolutely not a way to drag people from the forum. I've learnt so much from it!
It's just something more to strenghten our community, meet people and work with each other. This Page @Tobian is for everybody http://www.facebook.com/pages/LightWave-User-Group-Europe/458302177525276

My point for creating a closed group for pros is that unfortunately, many of them don't hang on the forum. Why? not enough time to post, sometimes it take a while to get an answer (Time Zone problem).
I was just hoping that doing such a group would make more connection between pros in Europe and get fast feedback when needed.

The cool thing also is that if something interesting comes out, all the others who have more time can feel free to make a tut out of it.

There is no bad intention behind it.
I've seen sudents who have made a Group to help each other too.
We'll see if the members suggest that it should be opened, we'll do it. All I want is to get more people sharing. And more greatness coming out of it!

wesleycorgi
08-21-2012, 05:28 AM
I understand the need for Euro Pro "splinter" group. But Facebook seems the wrong vehicle. You have teens and Tweens mixed socializing mixed with housewives connecting with high school friends plus consumer-based promotion. Granted there are some really good groups on Facebook, but there is too much noise.

I'm part of a couple of "pro" focused LinkedIn groups (including for Lightwave) and the communications via that platform seems to suit the way I digest work info.

That said, I'm not European. And when I'm web surfing I'll waste a bit of time on Facebook to see what LW (and Adam Ant) is up to.

biliousfrog
08-21-2012, 06:07 AM
I understand the need for Euro Pro "splinter" group. But Facebook seems the wrong vehicle. You have teens and Tweens mixed socializing mixed with housewives connecting with high school friends plus consumer-based promotion.

You get that in life generally but it's quite easy to split away from the 'noise' and have private conversations. Facebook is a social utility which provides the means to have private pages, groups and messages without sharing everything with the whole world. Generally, problems only arise when people are unable to split personal and professional...such as sharing their personal profile with clients or sharing personal information on their business pages.

I personally hate LinkedIn, it seems empty and redundant. The impression I get is that it is used by people that don't 'get' social networking...which means that they don't 'get' how people interact nowadays. If you're running a business you need to understand Facebook and other social networking sites or you're going to massively lose out on business opportunities.

Good luck with it, I'll check it out when I get a chance.

prometheus
08-21-2012, 06:36 AM
This is where Dr Baltazar shows up and invents..The Lightwave Connection, it resides within Lightwave (god forbid Lightwave crashing or not starting up)
You can have a modul or panel open with online Lightwavers or your own customized contacts, and urgent help message windows:D

For the sake of a message window that requires instant contact and help mostly, it might be good, and one good thing is that you wont see any other messages from others that are non lightwave related.

In case anyone wondering whom Baltazar is?...
http://www.croatianhistory.net/gif/art/baltazar1.gif

I think You have missed some Good childhood cartoons if you havent seen it.:)

Michael

biliousfrog
08-21-2012, 06:43 AM
What you need is some sort of group chat in Skype, that would be incredibly useful...

wesleycorgi
08-21-2012, 09:40 AM
I personally hate LinkedIn, it seems empty and redundant. The impression I get is that it is used by people that don't 'get' social networking...which means that they don't 'get' how people interact nowadays. If you're running a business you need to understand Facebook and other social networking sites or you're going to massively lose out on business opportunities.

I think you pegged me! I don't get social networking, specifically Facebook (and Twitter). :) LinkedIn is more passive, but more to the point.

What I do like is some of the Google+ stuff.

Lewis
08-21-2012, 04:40 PM
What you need is some sort of group chat in Skype, that would be incredibly useful...

That's already set long ago ;).

OnlineRender
08-21-2012, 04:46 PM
That's already set long ago ;).

please no more skype groups , bloop bloop

Ztreem
08-21-2012, 04:49 PM

Michael

Same here.

OnlineRender
08-21-2012, 04:53 PM
Same here.

http://lightwiki.net/cgnetwork Lwiki can handle everything that facebook can do.. create your own group and be your own mod ...

kopperdrake
08-21-2012, 05:10 PM
That said, I'm not European. And when I'm web surfing I'll waste a bit of time on Facebook to see what LW (and Adam Ant) is up to.

Ooh - claim to fame, Adam Ant's aunt was our dinner lady at my primary school in the early 80s :)

kopperdrake
08-21-2012, 05:11 PM

Ooh - claim to fame, Adam Ant's aunt was our dinner lady at my primary school in the early 80s :)

kopperdrake
08-21-2012, 05:11 PM

OnlineRender
08-21-2012, 05:17 PM
over active submit trigger :P

khan973
08-22-2012, 05:24 AM
Cool thing about Facebook, even though there are many things I don't like about it is that most people are on it. It opens more opportunities.
Ideally, I'd like people who are not from LW world to like the page and get surprised by what they see and eventually join our community, be new users and share knowledge.

Sometimes it's just about opportunity and it seems that Facebook emphasizes them. It's just one of the many brushes we can use...

As for Skype, I was in a Skype group for Kray render and the first 15min were fun but I couldn't handle tons of people chit chatting for hours and my skype popping up every 10 sec

kopperdrake
08-22-2012, 01:06 PM
over active submit trigger :P

Oops - more like tinterweb connection playing up :/ Apologies!

biliousfrog
08-23-2012, 04:53 AM
As for Skype, I was in a Skype group for Kray render and the first 15min were fun but I couldn't handle tons of people chit chatting for hours and my skype popping up every 10 sec

Disable notifications ;)

Select the conversation, go to Conversation - Notification settings - Do not notify me or select key words such as your name.

khan973
08-23-2012, 05:02 AM
Thanks I'll check

tayotain2
08-23-2012, 11:40 AM
I Think facebook group is a good idea! And Lightwiki looks good too.... so I'm on both now! :D

Darth Mole
08-23-2012, 03:41 PM
Sorry to admit it, but I'm not a Facebook 'liker' either. And I'm not about start spunking details of my life into the 'bookosphere any time soon.

But make a website I can visit at my own leisure and I'll be there!

khan973
08-23-2012, 03:50 PM
:) Nobody forces anybody to show off their life on Facebook, it's just like real life, show and say as much as you want but there is always new persons to meet.