PDA

View Full Version : Do we have multi-surface presets?

NinoK
08-20-2012, 02:50 PM
I have not checked in a while, and the last time I did the only way to do this was using a 3rd party plugin (which i don't quite remember the name of now) and it had limitations.

Basically id like to save a preset that saves the states of all the surfaces for a given object instead of saving a preset per surface per object.

As it stands if I have an object, lets say its a car with 20 surfaces, and I want to make a version of it with a different paint scheme. If every surface changes, i will end up with 20 presets. Body_preset_1, hood_preset_1, windows_preset_1, etc etc... which ends up taking a long time to load and remember what all changed between variants. Sometimes its quicker to just save a new complete version of the LWO file. However if this file has dynamics, is animated, etc, or a structural model change happens, saving and replacing can be very time consuming or lead to errors.

It would be nice to just save a single 'group' preset instead.

This comes especially handy if say you have a big scene and want to do a fog pass, or a AO pass and need to change all the surfaces to a single color for example and then go back. A multi-surface preset would be very handy. On top of that an even more powerful way to extend this would be to then have a multi-object preset that can be used to save the state of all the surfaces of all the objects in a given scene.

Anyway, hoping something new was added to LW that i'm not aware of. :p

nickdigital
08-20-2012, 03:00 PM
If you right-click on your object in the Surface Editor there should be an option to save out a library. I think that does what you're asking for.

erikals
08-20-2012, 05:05 PM
hm, tried saving it, it did save a 3K file, but couldn't make any sense out of it...
any ideas?...

nickdigital
08-20-2012, 05:16 PM
Load up this ball object. Then on the object entry in Surface Editor go to 'Load Library By Name'. The 'red' and 'blue' surfaces should be updated. I saved out that library from a box object that had those two surface names.

I only recently discovered this from another forum so I've never used it. But I believe the idea is that objects that have the same surface names could have the surfaces from one object loaded onto the other.