PDA

View Full Version : VPR-Enhancements..Float rip off panel please!

prometheus
08-20-2012, 10:42 AM
I would really like to see an additional VPR-float rip off panel.

Why?...well I sometimes resize my viewport when working with VPR so I do not have a huge viewport which take longer time to processe iterations refinement, now imaging having a 27 monitor and you find yourself looking at a viewport at the upper left corner for example.

That isnīt very friendly to look at with only viewport modes, besides I would like to be able to work in four viewports in open gl and at the same time have a previewer open, that would be more effective and less processing consuming I suspect.

For those of you who do not want float panels, donīt worry simply donīt bother about it and continue to use direct display viewports, this is suppose to be additional.

Basicly..pretty much the same float panel as old viper, but with VPR and additional custom panel size to choose from instead of the three defaults available for viper, another thing that would rock, that would be if we could set up animation preview from there as we do with viper, the workflow of setting up custom resolution through edit display and going through all the settings there before creating a preview isnīt very user friendly.

Basicly try and adapt it to work like viper, but with VPR ..that would be great, setting up preview and replay with viper was so much faster workflow wise than VPR preview animation replay.
Mockup image also shows a vpr float direct button..which helps aid newbies to directly find VPR, and for those not knowing shortcut for VPR, it will be faster to activate than go to drop down list,scroll down activated etc.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=106379&stc=1&d=1345480764

Michael

Markc
08-20-2012, 10:46 AM
+1 :thumbsup:
I would welcome this too.

Dexter2999
08-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Viper as VPR? Not like it should require extensive work of any kind.

Lewis
08-20-2012, 11:59 AM
Yep. it's been asked many times by now since Lw 10 when it first appeared in current state (VPR in layout). I think they need to redesign GUI to allow "tear off" stuff (or docking or many more which LW GUI lacks). But for now it could be just floating window like Fprime is/was until they redesign complete GUI.

MAUROCOR
08-20-2012, 12:07 PM
:agree:

Yeah, that would be really nice! +1

Waves of light
08-20-2012, 12:12 PM
Good idea - 4 viewports on one screen and VPR float on the second monitor.

Lord Beowulf
08-20-2012, 12:35 PM
+1

Hieron
08-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Yep. it's been asked many times by now since Lw 10 when it first appeared in current state (VPR in layout). I think they need to redesign GUI to allow "tear off" stuff (or docking or many more which LW GUI lacks). But for now it could be just floating window like Fprime is/was until they redesign complete GUI.

+1 on general dockability and complete revamp of UI.

Was it necessary to show this by using a 2560 pixel wide image btw? Not everyone is reading these forums with a maxed out window on a 27" + screen..

probiner
08-21-2012, 02:24 PM
So... you guys want a WPR :D Good!

Well they could call it a new ViPeR and get away with it.

There are times you want a window for maximum size and the "get out of the way" ability, and there's other times you want it in viewport integrated with the rest of the UI, since you're just getting a graps of animations or some transformations. Don't know how these 2 will go without dockability, something really needed for the other things in LW that didn't really had to be a floating window. (Sometimes you have to dig your work :p )

:goodluck:

Ztreem
08-21-2012, 04:41 PM
+1

stevenpalomino
08-21-2012, 05:45 PM
yes yes yes!!

moussepipi2000
08-21-2012, 05:56 PM
the most important for me is a wheel mouse zoom feature, you can work precisely on your shader with the cam you want.

stevenpalomino
08-21-2012, 06:03 PM
I'd also love the progressive render in vpr like FPrime as long as we're asking ;)

OFF
08-21-2012, 08:35 PM
+1 (and can be a way to make VPR for Modeler?))

ccclarke
08-21-2012, 08:58 PM
fPrime led the way with its interactive viewport. I hope Newtek considers its merits when making future upgrades.

CCC :agree:

prometheus
08-21-2012, 11:23 PM
+1 on general dockability and complete revamp of UI.

Was it necessary to show this by using a 2560 pixel wide image btw? Not everyone is reading these forums with a maxed out window on a 27" + screen..

Nope not necessary, but fastest way to simply save and upload the image without too much editing:D

I do not have that much of a problem viewing it on my laptop 17 monitor with a little help of scolling, Iīll take that as a notice thou, along with long sentances without line breaks from people which forces me to scroll each time reading it.:D

a lot of more requests I see, nothing wrong with that for vpr enhancements, but a simple float panel similar to viper would do very well as a starting point.

Michael

HenrikSkoglund
08-21-2012, 11:56 PM
+1

3dworks
08-22-2012, 01:29 AM
+1, requesting this since ever... in 11.5, maybe?

Lightwolf
08-22-2012, 02:51 AM
Why VPR only? I'd rather have the ability to have as many separate viewport windows as possible. ;)

Which may ... or may not ... be used to display VPR.

Cheers,
Mike

prometheus
08-22-2012, 05:19 AM
Why VPR only? I'd rather have the ability to have as many separate viewport windows as possible. ;)

Which may ... or may not ... be used to display VPR.

Cheers,
Mike

You mean that you want to rip of viewport in to a module panel? regardless of VPR display or just standard shaded open,wireframe etc?

Sure...that might be handy, Even though it is outside of VPR enhancement topic yet related.

However just a rip off viewport to module panel wont be effective in conjuction with VPR, it needs to have a VPR button acess directly in the viewport window or module for fast acess, avoiding going through slower drop down list selection, and it should have the preview make and replay animation UI from viper included.

Michael

Lightwolf
08-22-2012, 05:39 AM
You mean that you want to rip of viewport in to a module panel? regardless of VPR display or just standard shaded open,wireframe etc?
Yup, except that I wouldn't need it to rip off. Just let me open a new window.

Sure...that might be handy, Even though it is outside of VPR enhancement topic yet related.
Since VPR works within the context of a viewport only at the moment (including leveraging viewport functionality such as navigation) I don't see it as being outside... more like a fundamental requirement. ;)

However just a rip off viewport to module panel wont be effective in conjuction with VPR, it needs to have a VPR button acess directly in the viewport window or module for fast acess...
ctrl-F9 - works in LW 11 for the active viewport already.

Cheers,
Mike

prometheus
08-22-2012, 05:47 AM
ctrl-F9 - works in LW 11 for the active viewport already.

Cheers,
Mike

Yeah ..I know that, but will occasionally forget it, and newbies will not have a clue, and with rip off panels, that might conflict later, thereīs room for a little button as I shown in my mockup, thereīs even room for more easier workflow buttons, like grid on off directly in the viewport your working on
instead of going through display and finding the right one.:)

Michael

Lightwolf
08-22-2012, 05:54 AM
Yeah ..I know that, but will occasionally forget it, and newbies will not have a clue, and with rip off panels, that might conflict later, thereīs room for a little button as I shown in my mockup, thereīs even room for more easier workflow buttons, like grid on off directly in the viewport your working on instead of going through display and finding the right one.:)

Then display the shortcut next to the menu item (as it should be anyhow ;) ).

As for the others... unless you make it configurable it won't help (essentially a new entry in the menu editing system). I.e. grid on/off is something I never use for example.
You'd also need a relatively smart system that deals with tiny windows but still allows for all the options to be displayed.

Cheers,
Mike

prometheus
08-22-2012, 06:15 AM
Then display the shortcut next to the menu item (as it should be anyhow ;) ).

As for the others... unless you make it configurable it won't help (essentially a new entry in the menu editing system). I.e. grid on/off is something I never use for example.
You'd also need a relatively smart system that deals with tiny windows but still allows for all the options to be displayed.

Cheers,
Mike

Display of shortcut next to menu? that is unnecessary(in this case..not for others perhaps). You could rather print a sheet if it were available and have it next to your screen rather the UI space, in fact a direct print to file/pdf document would be nice from the shortcut menu.
Vpr doesnīt have a visible menu until you look for it in the drop down list, where newbies has no idea to find it.

I use grid on off in modeler, not so important in layout perhaps, but in modeler it is annoying not being able to switch it on and off in a fast way, sometimes grid snapping is needed and sometime you want it turned of to look at the created model.

I see quite a lot of workflow related issues that can be made a lot faster without taking up much unnecessary space in the UI.

Michael

Andy Webb
08-22-2012, 06:19 AM
VPR floating window sounds just thing... :agree: :D

Lewis
08-22-2012, 06:22 AM
Vpr doesnīt have a visible menu until you look for it in the drop down list, where newbies has no idea to find it.

Isn't that covered in Manuals ?

Lightwolf
08-22-2012, 06:24 AM
Display of shortcut next to menu? that is unnecessary(in this case..not for others perhaps).
It's only consistent as LW displays them for other items as well.
I bet if they weren't there then you wouldn't be using half of them - even if there was a PDF.

Like they do now. However, they would also only need to learn how to operate a viewport... regardless of where it is (consitency being the key principle here for the user - code sharing for the dev team).
As opposed to viewports and an external VPR viewer (which they'd need to find first).
Heck, there's enough people that never found VIPER either... ;)

I see quite a lot of workflow related issues that can be made a lot faster without taking up much unnecessary space in the UI.
No doubt about that.

Cheers,
Mike

Philbert
08-22-2012, 07:05 PM
VPR is Viper minus the vowels! My mind has been blown.

Doctor49152
08-23-2012, 05:17 PM
yes! A simple VPR for modeller would be awesome +1

and a window VPR +1

Also I'd like a better view-port for surface editing. The sphere is SUPER TINY on my 27inch monitor. Also a simple sphere is soooo dating back to the 90's abilities.

prometheus
08-23-2012, 11:22 PM
yes! A simple VPR for modeller would be awesome +1

and a window VPR +1

Also I'd like a better view-port for surface editing. The sphere is SUPER TINY on my 27inch monitor. Also a simple sphere is soooo dating back to the 90's abilities.

you can change to cube too:D
Yes itīs tiny, but if activating viper or VPR, then it doesnīt matter that much.

tburbage
08-26-2012, 01:45 PM

I think the nut of the request is to be able to have a Camera View in its own window, and with its own custom control set. This view could perhaps just be be regular camera view, which could be in VPR mode or not...

The "tear-off" part might not literally be a generalized UI configurability thing, though I would love the UI updated to give us that kind of flexibility.

Back to the original request, I think people would use the feature, which enables the possibility to put the camera view on a separate monitor, and the idea that the window could have its own set of custom controls is nice.

zatara
08-27-2012, 10:40 AM
This is would be very good! Like fprime!!!

Cageman
08-27-2012, 03:14 PM
+1