PDA

View Full Version : INSTANCES & Pixel Art

khan973
08-19-2012, 11:46 PM
Hi, I was wondering if we can do Pixel Art with INSTANCES.
To me the "fill" function is missing.

I would love to see that implemented.
Fill a volume with instanced objects. and select spacing.
That way you can create animated pixel / lego or anything else with instances.

If the object is water tight closed I think it shouldn't be too hard to implement.
I already have the code for it: <add function> instances*add:volume; New Menu Item > Volume </add function> hahahahahaha

It opens exen more possibilities as it would be like voxelization sort of.
This function can increase the possibilities for motion graphics.

prometheus
08-20-2012, 01:24 AM
That would be nice, donīt know if thereīs a node way of doing this?

You can fill geometry with points with the Hidden Fill solid tool in modeler, delete the geometry shape and send the points to layout, add an instance generator and use point mode, that will give you a sort of filled instances based on the geometry, but fill solid tool doesnīt have any controls for even spacing and sorts, so the geometric boundary shape will be rough.

Michael

dpont
08-20-2012, 01:37 AM
The Distribution node of DP Instancer has a few 3D modes,
grid or poisson, there's also 2 mask inputs for removing
unwanted instances, may also with Boolean node
but not sure about its stability in this context.
There's a nother tip trick from Brian, using particles.

Denis.

dwburman
08-20-2012, 11:56 AM
I made a video about this :)

http://youtu.be/igGxjoiZ7Lo

Lewis
08-20-2012, 12:23 PM
Isn't Deuce showed something similar (but fully animatable = way more cool) at Siggraph with LW 11.5 and flocks attracted to letters and other mesh geometry ?

erikals
08-20-2012, 12:30 PM
cool... :]

also check out Legoizer / Coinagizer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYp98XHAqaw

 

raw-m
08-20-2012, 01:02 PM
How would you animate that? I might be dreaming but I'm sure I saw a walk cycle like this not so long ago. Can't find it...

adk
08-20-2012, 01:31 PM
How would you animate that? I might be dreaming but I'm sure I saw a walk cycle like this not so long ago. Can't find it...

Sorry for plugging my own stuff here but maybe you mean this ...

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=126025

... and this is the how to

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=129290

You can animate, displace, scale & effectively UV it all as well ... with a few limitations.

raw-m
08-20-2012, 01:41 PM
Genius! :thumbsup:

khan973
08-20-2012, 02:39 PM
Thanks ADK, how did I miss that?!

However, it would be nice and faster to have a volume option in instances.
You could fill up some stuff, freeze instances then make dynamics.
Or like this example, make animated pixel art.
The toughest part is the color / texture of each instance.

Also with the Id and particles we could turn an object into an other one, into another one and so on.

Hieron
08-20-2012, 03:03 PM
Isn't Deuce showed something similar (but fully animatable = way more cool) at Siggraph with LW 11.5 and flocks attracted to letters and other mesh geometry ?

got link?

(not even sure who Deuce is... :/)

Lewis
08-20-2012, 03:09 PM
got link?

(not even sure who Deuce is... :/)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrUjTEHOiiE

Starts abotu 9min 30sec - Flocking attracted by Mesh

Hieron
08-20-2012, 04:55 PM
ah thanks, didn't have the time yet to go through all those from Sig.. Thanks for pointing it out.

adk
08-20-2012, 05:15 PM
Thanks ADK, how did I miss that?!

However, it would be nice and faster to have a volume option in instances.
You could fill up some stuff, freeze instances then make dynamics.
Or like this example, make animated pixel art.
The toughest part is the color / texture of each instance.

Also with the Id and particles we could turn an object into an other one, into another one and so on.

No problem, glad to help :thumbsup:

I agree that it would be awesome if all this could be wrapped up into a stand alone volume feature / freeze / texture node, but I don't see that happening till at least somewhere past 11.5 (as awesome as 11.5 looks I didn't see anything in it that seems to do any of what is needed for this effect).

Apart from turning one object into other, I'm yet to try that, all the rest is pretty much doable now.

You can definitely fill a volume with whatever instances you want / or make a shell / or subtract even. You can freeze your instances (there's a couple of python script options now) & make them dynamic. Obviously you would need to plan your animation pretty well but that's half the fun part of figuring this all out.

..."the toughest part is the color / texture of each instance" - there's two ways you can approach that, front projection & colour re-projection from a surrounding mesh. They are both included in the scenes I posted.
That was actually the hardest part of this whole thing.

I still consider myself a nodal newb btw so please refer to my disclaimer :)

prometheus
08-21-2012, 01:06 AM
Thanks Dana for the Movie clip showcasing even spacing with quantize and filling, now I donīt have to record how to use the fill solid tool:thumbsup:

I think it should work to add a particle emitter to that point clusterīs vertices and use particles as instancer? not sure if fx instancer will recognize the particles when they are active over the point vertices though? I have to check.

Thanks.

Michael

prometheus
08-21-2012, 01:27 AM
Most give a note here about quantizing point clusters, and using the fill solid tool.

creating cloud shapes with geometry and then filling them with point with the fill solid tool is something Ive been doing from time to time, and using quantize afterwards is great, this is because particles seems to blend nicer, thanks to even spacing, at least our eyes are fooled by that, so it will give much nicer cloud looks if you are using sprites for example on the clusters, if set up right you also get a decent direct open gl view on the cloud shape with voxels.

Iīll get back on that with some samples later.

Michael