PDA

View Full Version : Autoscan: what exactly is it doing?

jeric_synergy
08-19-2012, 01:26 AM
I kind of thought the Autoscan (plugins) feature just looked at the plugin folders to match up any plugin filenames with the menu configs.

But, I ran into a situation:
http://forums.newtek.com/showpost.php?p=1265883&postcount=26

where it looks like at least some processing of lscripts, at least, occurs during the Autoscan process. Otherwise a poison lscript couldn't crash the application, right?

So, just what IS Autoscan doing besides looking at filenames???

nickdigital
08-19-2012, 11:52 PM
I believe Autoscan automatically scans the plugins folder and adds the entries to the cfg file.

Most "pro" users don't use autoscan though. I think there can be improvements to how autoscan works, especially in regards to lwsn.

What lscript were you playing with?

jeric_synergy
08-20-2012, 05:51 PM
I believe Autoscan automatically scans the plugins folder and adds the entries to the cfg file.
It must be doing more than that, since including the lscript crashes both LW and LWM.

Most "pro" users don't use autoscan though. I think there can be improvements to how autoscan works, especially in regards to lwsn.
Since, up to now, it never had the horrendous overhead.... Photoshop?... once had, i just left it on. TTYTT, I never noticed any lag.

What lscript were you playing with?

iain-r's "Arbitrary Primitive Generator" in the "instant teapot" thread. It definitely works on smaller objects (SO COOL :thumbsup:), but I suspect that the defined arrays are perhaps too small for some point/poly limit. It's an LS, so I could maybe poke around its innerds, but it's been a long loooooooooong time since I did anything with lscript.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=129816&highlight=instant+teapot

"CreateLScript.ls" isn't the problem, it's the lscripts it generates. Some work great, some crash the application and prevent it from launching if Autoscan is enabled.

nickdigital
08-20-2012, 06:22 PM
Maybe someone has time to see why the lscript is making LW throw up.

Or the coder, iaian_r, can figure out what's going on. The idea of the lscript is certainly interesting.

jeric_synergy
08-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Maybe someone has time to see why the lscript is making LW throw up.

Or the coder, iaian_r, can figure out what's going on. The idea of the lscript is certainly interesting.
For convenience, here's the poison script.

I'm no programmer, but taking a glance at it, I noticed this bit near the end of the vertice list: that doesn't look right.....

verts[2362] = <1.24458,1.1982,0.3>;
verts[2363] = <1.24135,1.24068,0.3>;
verts[2364] = <1.24111,1.257,0.3>;
verts[2365] = <-1.#IND,-1.#IND,-1.#IND>;
verts[2366] = <-1.#IND,-1.#IND,-1.#IND>;
verts[2367] = <-1.#IND,-1.#IND,-1.#IND>;
verts[2368] = <-1.#IND,-1.#IND,-1.#IND>;