PDA

View Full Version : Clarice ifx Who saw it at Siggraph?

silviotoledo
08-18-2012, 06:32 PM
Clarisse iFX licence costs $2995

This includes a Clarisse iFX license and 2 render node licenses.

Additional render nodes are available for $995.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMu9JRX7Pps

The video looks so cool, but...

Who saw it at siggraph? Is it really 10 X faster than others while rendering?

Titus
08-18-2012, 07:25 PM
I'm not impressed by Clarisse. I think many of their tools and paradigms are spread in many tools already available. Their demo artist at SIGGRAPH wasn't really that good as their viral video. Render seems very fprimesque. Instances? well, we have them now in LW11, right?

Maybe is just me, and the tool is really groundbreaking.

silviotoledo
08-18-2012, 07:32 PM
So, is the videos acelerated?

The render is not that fast? same as VPR or Fprime?

hrgiger
08-18-2012, 07:37 PM
The preview looks very fast, especially with the amount of assets/geometry in the scene. I'm both intrigued and concerned with such a low price. Could be a good thing or bad.

hrgiger
08-19-2012, 04:02 PM
The preview looks very fast, especially with the amount of assets/geometry in the scene. I'm both intrigued and concerned with such a low price. Could be a good thing or bad.

Oh nevermind. I read that and thought it said $295 not 2995. Ok that seems more reasonable. I mean, not really but seems to fit more then $295.

Verlon
08-19-2012, 04:55 PM
video does look accelerated from the way the mouse is moving, but there are some interesting ideas in it. The compositing/3d tools look nice to me.

I am not spending $3000 on it (but I don't do this for a living, either).

Lewis
08-20-2012, 02:22 AM
I've seen it on their booth but it was playing same video on monitors and i didn't see them doing live demoing, Granted I didn't spent lot of time on their booth so they maybe did it some time but I'm not interested in package that has no modeling tools esp. for 3k $ but for some tasks it might be very good. Still i don't see it as some massive success at that price tag, esp with only 2 render nodes included at package which means that studios who would maybe use it would need lot of render licenses at 995$ each which might not be a big deal for some studio but if LW gives you 999 with one license I'm not sure how much of studios would like to spend that more if is not absolutely must.

Titus
08-20-2012, 11:54 AM
I've seen it on their booth but it was playing same video on monitors and i didn't see them doing live demoing, Granted I didn't spent lot of time on their booth so they maybe did it some time but I'm not interested in package that has no modeling tools esp. for 3k $ but for some tasks it might be very good. Still i don't see it as some massive success at that price tag, esp with only 2 render nodes included at package which means that studios who would maybe use it would need lot of render licenses at 995$ each which might not be a big deal for some studio but if LW gives you 999 with one license I'm not sure how much of studios would like to spend that more if is not absolutely must.

The ship race scene they were demoing live had 3 billion polygons or something like that, the preview render was relatively fast for this size of project. The problem is you need to build the scene again (after modeling), something similar to LW.

Philbert
08-21-2012, 01:04 AM
I've seen it on my own computer and was not impressed. That was a while ago but it looks like not much changed since then.

3dworks
08-21-2012, 05:01 AM
same here, but it seems that it was under heavy development since then...

what is very interesting is that it supports LWO, LWS and LW motion files out of the box. i wonder if LW instances are converted as well.

tyrot
08-21-2012, 06:35 AM
i think as far as i see from tech videos it is VERY efficient tools and its connection with LW is amazing..

I gotta see it first but i am very turned on with this software. (they could add GPU support though)

Titus
08-21-2012, 09:04 AM
i think as far as i see from tech videos it is VERY efficient tools and its connection with LW is amazing..

I gotta see it first but i am very turned on with this software. (they could add GPU support though)

I understand with GPU you're limited to the memory of the card, so maybe this is not a good option all the time.

silviotoledo
08-21-2012, 11:58 AM
City Render 2528x1024
3.3 billion polygons Antialiasing 16 samples per pixel
Full Monte Carlo Global Illumination: 512 samples per pixel
Area Light: 512 samples per pixel
Glossy Reflection
Rendered in 4 minutes and 11 seconds

I guess this is faster than Lightwave render if we add instances and radiosity.

Any ideas?

silviotoledo
08-21-2012, 12:34 PM
I'm doing a test render now using one object with 1,6 millions polys and instanced it 20 copies on X and 100 copies on Z

2000 x 1.600.000 = 3.800.000.000 3,8 billions?

Using i7 1st generation processor 2.8 GHZ ...

With no radiosity rendering time was less than 2 minutes. Now I'm rendering with Monte carlo Radiosity... let's wait...

silviotoledo
08-21-2012, 01:17 PM
Lightwave render was 27 minutes and 44 seconds for a Montecarlo radiosity 3,8 billions polys on my i7 processor wich has around half of the power used by isotropix to render that city.

It seems rendering time is similar, but Clarice is a little more fast. Not sure. There's too much involved. It would be interesting to have the same rendering done in both for comparison.

erikals
08-21-2012, 01:53 PM
yes, looks very good, but what about GI flicker, is it cached?
lots of questions.
also, just 2 render nodes...