PDA

View Full Version : lwcad or not?

KillMe
08-18-2012, 01:07 PM
i just happened to come across a vid for lwcad 4.1 - and the modeling tools look outstanding going far beyond what i expected from a plugin - and simply put i want them!!

but they aint cheap and we just had the barest hint that newtek might be starting to put some love towards modeler now

so what are the chances you think of modeler getting say the interactive boolean/slice things in the nearish future?

CaptainMarlowe
08-18-2012, 01:15 PM
I don't know. But now, I am pretty sure that LWCAD will save you a huge amount of time, whatever LW3D group come up with in the near future with modeler.
Until we get a completely new modeler, LWCAD has simply replaced 95% of my tools in modeler. The only ones I still use that are not lwcad-based must be multishift, and vertex map creation...

Markc
08-18-2012, 01:18 PM
Even if Modeler gets something like this in the future, LWCad is worth every penny. Even though it's advertised for Arch Viz stuff, there are so many useful tools for any kind of modeling.
I would be lost without it now.

hrgiger
08-18-2012, 01:54 PM
When you realize how good the snapping tools are in LWCAD, you'll wonder how you ever did without them. Or wanted to bevel a shape along a curve. Or bevel a profile from a polygon or strip of polygons. Or wanted to create an arch from one point to another. Or Shingle a roof, or draw out a fence, or interactivly clone objects, or have live booleans.... do you get the idea, there's a lot of great tools in LWCAD and even if you dont' do archviz, you will find uses for them.

Modelers tools are nowhere close to these, old or new. Here's a whole page of videos showing LWCADs tools: http://www.wtools3d.com/manual/manual3/

rcallicotte
08-18-2012, 02:27 PM
Great investment. I would get it. Victor (the developer) is a jewel. He's helpful and has provided one great feature after another...constantly bettering this already solid and useful tool.

Simply, to answer your question, yes.

tyrot
08-18-2012, 02:59 PM
Lwcad = modeler

JonW
08-18-2012, 04:14 PM
I don't know why Newtek has not just replaced Modeler with LWCad!

It's very good even if you have an older version the basic underlying tools are brilliant!

KillMe
08-18-2012, 05:17 PM
well its not for arch vis i want this - though i have done that in the past - i really just use lightwave for fun these days making spaceships - but the potential for detailing hulls with this is huge - takes an age to do it now but this look like would give me much more acurate results much faster with greater flexibility too

question for people with this - are teh boolean cuts clean? lw often does a horrible job on them - hate it when i am trying to cut into domes etc if the answer to this is yes then think i'll pony up the cash

Philbert
08-18-2012, 06:10 PM
I use LWCad on just about every project, even characters sometimes. And yes the booleans (realtime!) are very clean. The only tool I occasionally have trouble with is Mass Round, there are still a few times when I find that Rounder works better.

erikals
08-18-2012, 06:25 PM
question for people with this - are the boolean cuts clean?

you could try non-planar boolean plugin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPOv5c71FGk

hrgiger
08-18-2012, 07:29 PM
question for people with this - are teh boolean cuts clean? lw often does a horrible job on them - hate it when i am trying to cut into domes etc if the answer to this is yes then think i'll pony up the cash

Yes, just keep in mind that you just can't use two arbitrary objects. You have to either LWCAD 3D primitives or use shapes from 2D library (which you can add any shape you want to it). Below is a pic of a clover shape cutting a box. Its interactive so I can move the cutter around and it all happens in real time. Even if its only half intersecting the box you won't get errors. You can also Boolean with curves to create a shape to extrude (for example the profile of a building)

erikals
08-18-2012, 07:33 PM
hm, didn't know about that limitation, i guess an alternative is DPont Boolean in Layout, though that's not really cutting the geometry, so not quite the same...

hrgiger
08-18-2012, 07:43 PM
I don't know that I would call it a limitation. As I said you can add any shape you want to the library. If you just need the hole to project a 2D profile through a sphere, no problem. In Killme's case, I think that's all he would need for detailing spaceships, he would just have to add his profile shapes to library and can be reused when necessary. But if you need to cut a 3D object out of another, then yes, that wouldn't work. I could have sworn I had the 3D libraries working as cutters before but that might be a question to direct to Viktor. Wasn't working when I just tried it now.

KillMe
08-18-2012, 08:25 PM
just to be clear i can add shapes and use them to cut any 3d shape? - for what i do 2d cut is usually enough but i will want to cut into some odd shapes at times

Verlon
08-18-2012, 11:35 PM
LWCad or not? LWCad

Simple as that. They are good tools, and even if NT adds a bunch to Modeler, LWCad is also being updated.

hrgiger
08-19-2012, 02:21 AM
just to be clear i can add shapes and use them to cut any 3d shape? - for what i do 2d cut is usually enough but i will want to cut into some odd shapes at times

Yes, you can cut into any 3D shape as odd as you want but the cutter that you add from a library will be a 2D shape. But you also can use one of LWCAD 3D primitives as a cutter which include box, pyramid, cylinder, cone, tube (hollow cylinder), sphere, square pipe, circle pipe, and arc section, all of which are adjustable in size as you cut.

By the way, I should clarify that even though the cutting shape from a library is a 2D shape, you can drill into a 3D object with any depth you want and is adjustable. You can see from the pic I posted earlier, the clover like shape is a simple 2D shape but I've drilled into the box at a certain depth. So it gives you more control then just the shape of the cut on the surface, you can also pull into the surface to any depth you want.

raw-m
08-19-2012, 03:37 AM
Slightly off topic but for detailing, might be worth taking a quick look at Quadpanels. Nothing to do with LWCAD but very handy!

COBRASoft
08-19-2012, 05:08 AM
As HRGiger and the others said. LWCad, no question mark.

Nicolas Jordan
08-19-2012, 07:03 AM
LWCAD is the only reason I still use Lightwave for modeling.

Lewis
08-19-2012, 07:28 AM
Whatever NT does with modeling in LW some serious update won't happen before LW12 and considering that 11.5 is next you have still some year(s) for LW12 so i guess you should decide how much you can wait more without those tools :).

LWCAD is great plugin no doubt there, only thing to understand is that it still works in slow/limited LWM GUI/code so with hi-poly counts you'll still have damn slow feedback/modeling regardless of LWCAD 'coz it's LW code that's slow and LWCAD can't solve that without LW update (as some would say "The Ball is in NT's court now" :))..

Waves of light
08-19-2012, 09:40 AM
When you realize how good the snapping tools are in LWCAD, you'll wonder how you ever did without them. Or wanted to bevel a shape along a curve. Or bevel a profile from a polygon or strip of polygons. Or wanted to create an arch from one point to another. Or Shingle a roof, or draw out a fence, or interactivly clone objects, or have live booleans.... do you get the idea, there's a lot of great tools in LWCAD and even if you dont' do archviz, you will find uses for them.

Modelers tools are nowhere close to these, old or new. Here's a whole page of videos showing LWCADs tools: http://www.wtools3d.com/manual/manual3/

What he said.

Simple - buy it, it will change your modeling workflow overnight.

Cageman
08-19-2012, 10:22 AM
I don't know why Newtek has not just replaced Modeler with LWCad!

Can you create weightmaps through LWCad? Textured point? :)

Lets be serious though... Viktor is a third party dev supporting NewTeks LightWave 3D with his own creation. You can't simply do this or that, because without Modeler, where would LWCad work?

It's like saying that one should replace Layout with DPonts stuff... it just doesn't work like that.

:)

Oh and LWCad is brilliant! We should all be very happy and proud that Viktor has been doing this for all these years!!! :thumbsup:

tburbage
08-19-2012, 12:33 PM
I would probably not still do my general hard surface modeling in LW anymore if it were not for LWCad, and I'm not even an Arch/Viz modeler. It adds 2 foundational things that for me are "must haves" for a general purpose modeler:

- A powerful snapping system
- The ability to define construction planes which the (LWCad) tools use

It implements a higher order of (NURBS) curve primitive, and includes good functionality for creating and editing those curves.

He has implemented a really nice in-viewport set of controls for most (all?) of the modeling tools so you don't necessarily need to go to the tool panel to adjust common tool settings. The widgets provided with the tools are good for interactive adjustments.

Where his tools overlap or duplicate native tools, the LWCad versions are IMHO better and can be seen as improved replacements.

His shapes library concept is really nice, and in my mind anticipated 3D-Coat and now ZBrush's "kitbashing" functionality.

KillMe
08-19-2012, 07:51 PM
ok tried to purchase it but transaction not working - anyone else in uk had trouble with store? i'm guess its the address validation since it only gives state/county thing option for outside us/canada so shows up in address as xx

Philbert
08-19-2012, 08:33 PM
I'm sure Viktor would be happy to help. He's helped me out with a transaction once and it was all fine. He's actually helping me with another odd problem right now.

[email protected]

Oedo 808
08-19-2012, 09:48 PM
ok tried to purchase it but transaction not working - anyone else in uk had trouble with store? i'm guess its the address validation since it only gives state/county thing option for outside us/canada so shows up in address as xx

I did have some issue, I think it was actually my bank though wanting to make sure I was still in possession of my card. In the end I went with Safe Harbor.

KillMe
08-19-2012, 11:19 PM
I did have some issue, I think it was actually my bank though wanting to make sure I was still in possession of my card. In the end I went with Safe Harbor.

tried with safe harbour and went through fine - thanks for suggesting it

Oedo 808
08-19-2012, 11:50 PM
tried with safe harbour and went through fine - thanks for suggesting it

Cool, you won't regret it. :)

BokadCastle
08-20-2012, 01:30 AM
Yep...I've just bought LWCAD also.
- based on the positive comments in this thread and this attached press release.

gordonrobb
08-20-2012, 02:01 AM
welcome to the club guys.

kopperdrake
08-20-2012, 06:58 AM
Yep - I have *never* regretted using LWCAD - it's priceless, doubled the speed of my modelling (and more with certain model types), and Viktor has always been extremely helpful. I simply can not imagine using Modeler without it.

CaptainMarlowe
08-20-2012, 10:06 AM
I upgraded from 3.6 to 4.1 yesterday. I should have done that months ago, but needed the cash. Inone word : waow !
New shingle tool is amazing.

Nicolas Jordan
08-20-2012, 10:10 AM
I have been using 4.1 at work for awhile but I too just recently upgraded my personal license from LWCAD 3.x to 4.x. I really like the new shingle tool! :thumbsup:

COBRASoft
08-20-2012, 10:16 AM
One of the most nicest things about Viktor (developer of LWCad) is that he really listens to suggestions and actually tries to implement them asap.

For example, for the next version I asked for a numeric angle editor for UCS. This way, you can easily rotate the UCS plane based on a user entry and not alone with the mouse. 2 days later I got a mail back from him that is was implemented.

phillydee
08-20-2012, 10:58 AM
I love the 2D/3D library feature, and the ability to snapshot your own templates/geometry.

BTW last week I updated LW from 11.0.2 to 03. When importing my 3rd party plugins, LWCAD(4.1) refused to authorize. I emailed Viktor and he promptly replied, suggesting I try the new LWCAD beta, which authorized no problem. Just another reason to support a developer who goes out of his way to help his customers.

KillMe
08-20-2012, 11:01 AM
should i get a serial number in the mail from safe harbor or do i have to wait for viktor to email me one? wanna start playing now =)

Nicolas Jordan
08-20-2012, 11:59 AM
I love the 2D/3D library feature, and the ability to snapshot your own templates/geometry.

BTW last week I updated LW from 11.0.2 to 03. When importing my 3rd party plugins, LWCAD(4.1) refused to authorize. I emailed Viktor and he promptly replied, suggesting I try the new LWCAD beta, which authorized no problem. Just another reason to support a developer who goes out of his way to help his customers.

I had the same issue. I just went back to using 11.0.2 since the only difference was the dongle and that's what I suspected was causing issues with LWCAD 4.1 not wanting to work. Good to know that the beta will work with 11.0.3 if needed.

Waves of light
08-20-2012, 12:19 PM
I had the same issue. I just went back to using 11.0.2 since the only difference was the dongle and that's what I suspected was causing issues with LWCAD 4.1 not wanting to work. Good to know that the beta will work with 11.0.3 if needed.

Nicolas, yer Viktor sent out an update of the 4.13 beta as part of an email after 11.0.3 was released. I think Philbert was on about being able to subscribe to the beta email list via the main website.

Oedo 808
08-20-2012, 12:49 PM
should i get a serial number in the mail from safe harbor or do i have to wait for viktor to email me one? wanna start playing now =)

I believe the number will come from Safe Harbor, when I upgraded through them I got an email saying my card had been declined (it had previously been frozen by my bank's fraud department, and not because of them) and that they would try again in a couple of days, and a couple of days later I got the serial number so I can't imagine you should have to wait very long.

So near but yet so far :D

Nicolas Jordan
08-20-2012, 01:34 PM
Nicolas, yer Viktor sent out an update of the 4.13 beta as part of an email after 11.0.3 was released. I think Philbert was on about being able to subscribe to the beta email list via the main website.

Thanks, I will register for the beta then.

Verlon
08-20-2012, 03:52 PM
Viktor is great. When I needed to change my registered email, he was very quick to help. Fortunately, I haven't needed much more support from him because LWCad is outstanding (see the Max guys asking him when they can have a version :) ).

Allow me to plug the 3D Nocturne preset pack as well. There are a lot of nice toys there. Do you NEED them to make LWCad amazing? Absolutely not. They are just plenty of cool things to have around and save you the trouble of reinventing the wheel. Isn't that what presets are for?

hrgiger
08-20-2012, 05:34 PM
Allow me to plug the 3D Nocturne preset pack as well. There are a lot of nice toys there. Do you NEED them to make LWCad amazing? Absolutely not. They are just plenty of cool things to have around and save you the trouble of reinventing the wheel. Isn't that what presets are for?

Oh, thanks Verlon. I should just point out that they are more geared towards archtectural uses so for KillMe detailing spaceships, they would probably not be all that useful.

KillMe
08-20-2012, 06:07 PM
argh - this is frustrating - still no license from safe harbor - nothing worse than buying something and not getting to use it

as for presets - yeah dont think i need them - this is not a commercial purchase for me - gave up on earning money through lw years back now its all about the space ships!!!

Verlon
08-20-2012, 06:18 PM
Your space ships don't have crown molding? Sheesh, how-- ordinary :)

hrgiger
08-20-2012, 06:43 PM
I know that's frustrating waiting for your new software. Remember the wait for Fprime several years back? I think I waited 2 weeks for their backlog of sales...

Anyway KillMe, if you have any questions about the software after you start playing, please post them here or you can PM me if you want.

KillMe
08-20-2012, 07:00 PM
I know that's frustrating waiting for your new software. Remember the wait for Fprime several years back? I think I waited 2 weeks for their backlog of sales...

Anyway KillMe, if you have any questions about the software after you start playing, please post them here or you can PM me if you want.

interestingly i had a arch vis job on that i desperately needed fprime for - time constraints were rediculas - back then lightwaves gi was not an option cause it took so long - so i emailed worley and they expedited my order through and saved my bacon - so that time i didn't have much of a wait for fprime =)

Snosrap
08-20-2012, 09:08 PM
One of the most nicest things about Viktor (developer of LWCad) is that he really listens to suggestions and actually tries to implement them asap.

For example, for the next version I asked for a numeric angle editor for UCS. This way, you can easily rotate the UCS plane based on a user entry and not alone with the mouse. 2 days later I got a mail back from him that is was implemented. Yep exactly! I always thought that it would be cool if the Profiler would leave the curve behind instead of always destroying it. After a short Skype conversation with Viktor he added an option to the Profiler tool to leave the curve intact! He rocks! LWCad rocks!

CaptainMarlowe
08-21-2012, 12:18 AM
Killme, if I'm not mistaken, you make spaceships ? On thing that you'll love in LWCAD is the possibility to create shapes (e.g. greebles and nurnies), store them in the 3D lib, and then snap them on your geometries on the go, with interactive scaling. A real time-saver !
As for your licence, you should have the serial already, it is usually quite straightforward. Have you checked your spam ? Pehraps it's in here.

colkai
08-21-2012, 03:09 AM
Couldn't live without LWCAD, I pretty much always use LWCAD tools over native ones simply because they are normally vastly superior in terms of snapping.

Modeller without LWCAD is like a guitar with only 3 strings, yo're left knowing what it could be "if only".
LWCAD may not be cheap, but as pretty much everyone lese has said, it is worth every penny and I have never once regretted buying it.
I recently lost my job and though LW upgrades are now a thing of the past, one way or another, I *will* find a way to keep updating LWCAD as long as it works in 9.6, it really is THAT good. :)

Oh, also as others have said, Viktor rocks, he is uber-helpful and always approachable. :D

raw-m
08-21-2012, 04:38 AM
This has turned out to be a profitable thread. Just purchased as well!!

KillMe
08-21-2012, 06:38 AM
maybe i should get commission for starting a successful advertising session!!

raw-m
08-21-2012, 06:42 AM
Not until I get my serial number :D. Thought everything was automated these day!!

KillMe
08-21-2012, 07:31 AM
tell me about it - still waiting on mine - emailed them said when they tried my bank was closed =/ didn't think was such a thing as a clsoed bank these days

rcallicotte
08-21-2012, 07:54 AM
You'll get everything (this happened to me, too) and then have fun!

raw-m
08-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Got mine.... building houses....!

KillMe
08-21-2012, 11:54 AM
what thats not fair - they still not done mine - did you do your through safe harbor or the other system?

i couldn't get the international one to go

raw-m
08-21-2012, 11:57 AM
Oh no!! Safe Harbor. Got an email from them to say they need to get in contact with the developer first, then got an email from Viktor a couple of hours later with download details.

Oedo 808
08-21-2012, 12:03 PM
what thats not fair - they still not done mine - did you do your through safe harbor or the other system?

i couldn't get the international one to go

I wonder if it's an issue like mine, thinking back I remember my card wasn't entirely frozen and I could still use it for transactions that were not suspicious, but they had stopped the transactions for my 3D-Coat upgrade and I think I tried the international one first and they stopped that. Although if this is the issue and your bank hadn't already contacted you, I wouldn't be pleased.

That one about the bank being closed is odd assuming you are using a credit/debit card, I'd be asking for more info.

CaptainMarlowe
08-21-2012, 12:21 PM
The other way (2CO) seems much faster : I got my mail within the minute after paying the upgrade.

Lito
08-21-2012, 03:18 PM
IIRC I had an issue buying the upgrade to 4 when it was released. It seemed my bank locked the transaction, then I had to clear it on the phone with them. When I went to place the order it still wouldn't go. So I had to contact 2CO and they told me to clear my browser cache or use a different browser. I used a different browser to place the order and it went through fine. They said sometimes a rare condition happens that the cache would keep the old failing transaction record around so it would never complete the order.

v1u1ant
09-04-2012, 03:25 PM
Looks like i may buy it as well (should have bought it yonks ago), as i have a product job on that is proving just too much in standard Modeler.

kopperdrake
09-04-2012, 04:46 PM
You won't regret it - Modeler would feel naked to me now without it.

colkai
09-05-2012, 02:54 AM
You won't regret it - Modeler would feel naked to me now without it.

Couldn't agree more, as for the new functionality and Quad UVMapper, well, let's just say, I got all excited. :heart: :D

lardbros
09-05-2012, 05:49 AM
My favourite tool... and can't wait for the 3dsmax version! It'll make our lives sooo much easier! :)

Buy it!!!!

khan973
09-05-2012, 10:46 AM
LW Cad is cheap considering the time you'll gain.
If you're a hobbyist, then you can afford spending time on many little tasks.
If you work with LightWave, just buy it... With the hours gained in a few days the plugin is paid!!!

v1u1ant
09-05-2012, 10:49 AM
purchased....waiting....

kopperdrake
09-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Now sit back and waste a couple of days doing what you really want to be doing - because you'll gain those two days back in four days of modelling once you have LWCAD in your sticky paws :)

rcallicotte
09-05-2012, 01:45 PM
:agree:

Now sit back and waste a couple of days doing what you really want to be doing - because you'll gain those two days back in four days of modelling once you have LWCAD in your sticky paws :)

v1u1ant
09-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Cheesus on a stick!!!!! Ive only been using it for 10 minutes.......why i held off purchasing for so long i have no idea....