PDA

View Full Version : Help needed, following a curve

tonygardner
08-18-2012, 05:20 AM
Hi guys, I need a little help with an animation I'm setting up.

As you can see I'm trying to move an object along a curve but I need only one corner of the object to actually follow the curve, the other end of the object merely moves to the right. Most importantly I want the object to maintain a constant length, it cannot deform at all.

I also want to control the speed of the object so that it starts slowly, accelerates, decelerates and stops gently.

I've been looking all over the place for help with this and whilst I managed to make the object follow the curve I couldn't get the other end to behave how I wanted.

I'm sure it's probably something straightforward but I just can't figure it out myself so I'm hoping you guys can point me in the right direction.

SplineGod
08-18-2012, 06:52 AM
I would try the curve constraint plugin in Layout. You could move the pivot point to A on the object or parent it to a null at that point.You could also try dponts spline deformer that comes wtih dpkit. It will also allow an object to just follow a spline.

RebelHill
08-18-2012, 07:17 AM
Similar to Larry...

Model so as point A is pivot/origin, make sure the object extrudes out (so point B is) off in the +Z. In layout, Lay a null at point A pos, stick object to curve, set motion options target back to null.

If the object cant deform, then obv point Bs "reach" for point As start pos is gonna be dependant on point As path here... so fine tune animation may be needed or tricky.

The alternative si to model object the other way round (pivot at B), set a null along curve, set object to target that null, slide object along X to desired point.

Ryan Roye
08-18-2012, 12:29 PM
This tutorial may be relevant to your issue... or at the very least may come in handy for later: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg0xa2Ovvxw

tonygardner
08-18-2012, 01:37 PM
Thanks guys, I got over it in the end. Or at least got close enough to what I wanted...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZiDlDBUEH4&feature=youtu.be