PDA

View Full Version : Prolonged sitting is a killer...

meshpig
08-17-2012, 01:02 AM
There are probably hundreds of sites devoted to this recent finding (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2009-08-03/sitting-not-so-pretty-for-health-study/1377190) but the important bits are that every 20 minutes you have to get off yer a*se and move; doesn't mean you have to run around the block ( that's for morons:D) , just the mere engaging of muscles keeps your blood sugar level under control amongst other things.

JonW
08-17-2012, 01:37 AM
I saw this, it was a good report. The Commonwealth Bank had a nice new office and got people using the stairs rather than the lift, plus they had more standing desks around the place.

Now I understand why TV ads are louder. I have to throw away the remote & get up to turn down the volume every ad break!

meshpig
08-17-2012, 03:24 AM
I saw this, it was a good report. The Commonwealth Bank had a nice new office and got people using the stairs rather than the lift, plus they had more standing desks around the place.

Now I understand why TV ads are louder. I have to throw away the remote & get up to turn down the volume every ad break!

Jeez that'd drive me nuts, bloody Foxtel with ads every 3.5 minutes... :cursin: don't get me started. Just finding the damn thing in time is enough whilst you reach for the TV off side 'cos the FUXTEL remote is so cheap and cheesy it hardly ever responds in time... :cursin::cursin::cursin:.

But yeah the idea has been around for a while but in relation to blood sugar levels anything which offsets a spike is less wear and tear internally never mind damaging your knees and spline by being an health fanatic running.

jdomingo
08-17-2012, 03:56 AM
so can we the boss for attempted murder?

jdomingo
08-17-2012, 03:56 AM
i mean sue the boss for attempted murder.

stiff paper
08-17-2012, 05:03 AM
I have to get up every twenty minutes or so anyway because the beer and pies are on the other side of the room.

cresshead
08-17-2012, 05:30 AM
yeh...sitting down at a puter all day is similar as being in a wheelchair and people in wheelchairs have a shorter lifespan due to having all their internal organs lumped up against on another...it's not natural.

things to do

1.get a ball to sit on... this way you have to use your core muscles to retain balance
2. get up regularly and walk around
3. have a desk you can stand and work at rather than sit

for my music synths i stand and play them
for 3d at home i sit..not good!
for work i sit but also take regular breaks and walk around abit

T-X
08-18-2012, 06:24 AM
Other things you should consider are your eyes, five years ago i didn't need glasses... i do now!!

meshpig
08-18-2012, 06:47 AM
Other things you should consider are your eyes, five years ago i didn't need glasses... i do now!!

Nah that's probably just the natural progression of astigmatism which changes as you age. Most people have some form of it anyway (short sight). It being the variable shape of your eye which disturbs the focal length so green and red wavelengths don't hit the mark.

There isn't much to fear eyesight wise from using them apart from arc welding or staring at the naked sun, though I reckon most short sightedness comes from focusing on "blackboards" as it were at school whilst learning to read and write rather than the middle and far distances of the landscape as they were evolved to do at least optically.

T-X
08-18-2012, 07:00 AM
I guess you're right.. laser eye surgery it is then ;)