PDA

View Full Version : can someone check a possible bug for me?

eblu
10-28-2003, 08:54 AM
hi.
os 10.2.8
LW 7.5c
build 584

I am attempting to use Sticky front projection mapping and it appears to Not work. Can someone waste some time to see if this is a bug?

general steps to duplicate:

1. make a .lwo
2. import it in a scene.
3. apply an image map as "front" with fixed projection on and the time set to 0

4. go to frame 1 and move the object.
5. test render frame 0 and frame 1

what I get is not what is indicated in the help file. frame 0 looks as expected, the image is not warped and blankets the object as expected, on frame 1 the image is not "sticking" to the object, it does not warp, nor does it move with the object... in short my "sticky" front projection mapping does not work?

can anybody duplicate this?
thanx
-eblu

bloontz
10-28-2003, 09:31 AM
I get the same results however I'm not sure that They are incorrect. I think that the objects are supposed to be stationary and you move the camera to get the effects described in the manual. It says it locks the projection from the camera's perspective at the specified time.

eblu
10-28-2003, 09:52 AM
ok try moving the camera. I get the Same results.

bloontz
10-28-2003, 10:07 AM
Yep, me too. That does seem incorrect, though I admit I've never used that feature. I tried setting the reference camera to none and that made the image stick while moving the camera but not the object. Maybe that's the trick?

eblu
10-28-2003, 10:28 AM
I Have used this feature, and unless they changed it since they wrote the help files, its not working properly for me.

I think its been screwed up.

policarpo
10-29-2003, 07:53 AM
Are you selecting the correct Reference Camera in the Texture Editor window where you've specified it to be a fixed projection image map?

Seems to be working over here under 7.5c and OSX v10.2.8.

Also, with the camera projection technique, I am fairly certaint that you're only supposed to move the camera, since it's a way yo simulate 3D from 2D.

Cheers.

eblu
10-29-2003, 10:33 AM
polycarpo,
thanks for your input.

ummm... no no problems with selecting the "right" ref camera... only the one camera.
and even if I was only supposed to move the camera and not the object... ummm... it still does not behave properly.

I have an update however, my co-worker on a dual Xeon Compaq, has duplicated the bug, and he agrees with me. the behavior is Not as intended based on past experience with sticky front projection map. Our consensus is that a recent Update to LW has broken sticky front projection map.

policarpo
10-30-2003, 09:15 AM
hrmm...well that isn't good.

be sure to file it and raise the flag cause that isn't good. ;)

jin choung
02-03-2005, 06:47 PM
A BIT LATE joining this discussion but i'm working on a project at work and it would have been GREAT if fixed projection mapping allowed the OBJECT to be moved too!

i wouldn't necessarily call it a BUG but it is indeed missing a highly desirable feature.

BAKING a surface will work but considering that you have to UV MAP every piece of geometry that will take the image as well as split up surfaces and prevent overlap in uvspace and such, unless uvs were needed in the first place, this could be a HUGE PAIN of an unnecessary step.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IF a simple FIXED button on front projection will not do it, i have an idea for a potential SOLUTION:

CONVERT THE FRONT PROJECTION MAPPING into lw's standard, legacy PROJECTION MAPPING TYPES (most probably, a simple PLANAR will work because that is all that front projection is!)

jin