PDA

View Full Version : Need some LiveText help related to a WNBA game

m4a2000
08-16-2012, 10:48 PM
So, thanks to everyone's best friend Kris and some skill someone has found in me, I've been called back to run graphics for the LA broadcast end of the WBNA game "Storm vs Sparks" this Saturday. I first did graphics for them back in May on the good word of Kris and oh boy... And I thought what I do for football at the high school I work for was hard! That was one of the most stressed out 8 hours of my life, yet fun at the same time.

Before that game I had never used LiveText. At work we use VT-CG with the plugin from Kris for our sporting events. Luckly that knowledge was all I needed and with some luck and no spelling errors I can safely say I had no "opps" moments.

But now going back to work for these LA guys Saturday I remembered about DataLink. I'm sure I forgot about back in May with everything that was going on, but now that I have a moment to think I would really like to use that in combaintion with the plugin from Kris. That should be easy, right? One page will have DataLink settings while another will have Kris' plugin settings. But, how do I get the data from the arena? We did have a internet connect through the arena so I should just ask what scoreboard system their using right?

*sigh* I hope I'm not just working myself into confusion....

kltv
08-17-2012, 10:15 AM
To directly integrate with their scoreboard, you'll need a serial connection. That means if you are using a laptop or a PC without a serial port, you may also need to get a USB Serial Adapter. The serial port connects to the appropriate port (assuming it exists) on the scoreboard controller in the arena.

You then need to go into the DataLink configuration tool and setup the connection to your external device. Once that is setup you need to go into your LiveText project and change the placeholder text in each layer that will be controlled externally. For example, with a Daktronics scoreboard you'd put %DakClock% in for the clock. All those values are at the back of the LiveText manual and should also show up when you right-click on a text layer. If you are using a template that is also used with my scoreboard, you should also go to the Layers tab and rename the layer something other than my layer names. That will keep my scoreboard from overwriting the Daktronics values.

I hope that helps!
Kris

m4a2000
08-17-2012, 12:14 PM
So, I need to go from Cat5e to a USB Serial Adapter... Can that work? Easily? ... I think for tomorrow I'll just use your plugin Kris... Better not reinvent the wheel if I can live with what I have. Though this does get me thinking about what I need here at work in the near future.

We'll be getting LiveText in the next two weeks for our TV5.3 system in hope of getting more life out of the system (we've had it since August 06). The VT system in stuck in our studio, and both the gym and football field scoreboard controlors are at least 300 feet away. So beside the wire runs (oh crud that will cost a lot) I'll need to go from Serial to Cat5e and back again... Ow... My brain... Ow... Before I fry (curse you hot weather and no AC) it I just need to be ask that on paper this can all be done easily, right?

kltv
08-17-2012, 12:53 PM
If you are at your facility and you've got an existing ethernet infrastructure, you might be able to use these types of devices: http://www.moxa.com/serial_USB_fieldbus/about_serial_to_ethernet.htm

I haven't used them with a scoreboard, but I've used them to control serial-based video switchers and remote cameras from miles away over fiber ethernet networks.

Kris

m4a2000
08-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Any lag?

kltv
08-17-2012, 05:00 PM
Nope. Very responsive. Could switch cameras and pan/tilt/zoom quickly. The only lag we had was in the MPEG encoders sending back the video. They have a built in encode/buffer/decoder bit of lag, but that didn't have any impact on the serial connections.

Kris