PDA

View Full Version : Mists of Pandaria cinematic trailer was released.

Ernest
08-16-2012, 10:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvYXoyxLv64

This is the official cinematic trailer for World of Warcraft's fourth expansion set, Mists of Pandaria, originally debuted at gamescom 2012 on August 16 in Cologne, Germany.

Careful, lots of bickering in the comments, don't get caught int he crossfire.

50one
08-17-2012, 02:23 AM
Never played WoW, so to me Pandas and Orcs don't mix well, But from the Technical point of view the trailer is awesome - what else you could expect from Blizzard? [Looks like Kung-fu Panda on steroids] :D

Ernest
08-17-2012, 03:44 AM
Pandas and Orks have never mixed in WoW before this, as far as I can tell. The pandas come from way back in Warcraft III.

wibly wobly
08-17-2012, 06:08 AM
I find it a strange trailer. Lots of the technical elements are extremely well done, typical Blizzard cinematic stuff but, it's so devoid of story, character, conflict that I leave me pretty cold. I guess it's fine for the people that already know about what the expansion is offering but, if you're looking at it without know anything, it tells me nothing. Like most action movies these days, all glitz and no substance. It doesn't even make me want to learn what's going on. Yet, I watch something like this, despite some of it's problems makes me want to look into the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFxAJ3eaaC8

biliousfrog
08-20-2012, 10:01 AM
Man has sword
Man uses sword to sharpen stick
Man leaves sword and carries stick into the mist
Orc sees man and jumps down towards him
Man sees Orc falling towards him, arms and legs outstretched
Man forgets about pointy end of stick and holds it in front of him with both hands to break the Orcs fall.
Man and Orc fight
Kung Fu Panda joins in with a fight scene that resembles a breakfast cereal commercial.

Terrible trailer, I expected better from Blizzard. The only part that I really liked was when the man and orc were stood together in front of the panda and the man gave the orc the pointy stick...that made me chuckle.

kopperdrake
08-20-2012, 10:36 AM
I used to love WoW, but the same old same old eventually gets to you. Having said that, I always looked forward to seeing the next incarnation, just in case something really new turned up. But this trailer does nothing for me - when the panda turned up I even thought it was a mick-take, a really good wind-up of a real Blizzard game. Ah well, back to Cliffs of Dover for me :)

wibly wobly
08-20-2012, 12:17 PM
I know what you mean. I never played WoW (couldn't get past the art design) but, I really find the potential of what a MMO can bring gameplay wise fascinating and appealing. So far every one that I've played have fallen short for a variety of reason. The first one that I've seen that might finally shake some things up is Guild Wars 2. It's still mmo'ish but, it's tossed out a lot of the typical conventions that people have been using since the days of Everquest and UO.

Cryonic
08-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Man has sword
Man uses sword to sharpen stick
Man leaves sword and carries stick into the mist
Orc sees man and jumps down towards him
Man sees Orc falling towards him, arms and legs outstretched
Man forgets about pointy end of stick and holds it in front of him with both hands to break the Orcs fall.
Man and Orc fight
Kung Fu Panda joins in with a fight scene that resembles a breakfast cereal commercial.

Man doesn't leave sword. He puts it in his belt because it is broken in half and not as useful as it had been.

Real story, human and orcs fight on sea, ships sink. Human and orc find land and each other and fight. Panda interferes with both. Both turn on new, common enemy, panda... fight ensues... Panda's land is revealed and human and orc realize it isn't just them vs one Pandaran.

And to answer another comment... this trailer isn't for those not familiar with Warcraft or World of Warcraft. This is for those looking for new stuff in a game that has been around for 5+ years now.

The trailer for StarCraft 2 with the Marine getting suited up means nothing to people who didn't play StarCraft already, yet it was a very good trailer from a visual and technical point of view and served the desired purpose, go the already existing Fanbase excited about the game coming out.

Ryan Roye
08-22-2012, 12:22 AM
I think I'll stick with Asheron's Call and its 11+ years of gameplay updates/features... a true Lightwave game too :)

kopperdrake
08-22-2012, 01:11 PM
And to answer another comment... this trailer isn't for those not familiar with Warcraft or World of Warcraft. This is for those looking for new stuff in a game that has been around for 5+ years now.

But it's a panda! Comedy value alone would prevent me from buying the next installment of WoW. Perhaps I'm being too harsh, perhaps I've grown up finally (my parents will be proud).

Cryonic
08-22-2012, 01:34 PM
But it's a panda! Comedy value alone would prevent me from buying the next installment of WoW. Perhaps I'm being too harsh, perhaps I've grown up finally (my parents will be proud).

The Pandarens have been in the Warcraft universe for over a decade now and people were wanting them to be the playable race added to the World of Warcraft game for the last several expansions. So, now they are being put in.

jeric_synergy
08-22-2012, 02:18 PM
The stick thing would make more sense if it were LONGER. As it is, it's not much longer than the broken sword, and you can't slash with a stick.

FWIW, I found this pretty funny. Reminded me of PotC in humor style. And I have no idea how WoW is played.

kopperdrake
08-23-2012, 04:25 AM
The Pandarens have been in the Warcraft universe for over a decade now and people were wanting them to be the playable race added to the World of Warcraft game for the last several expansions. So, now they are being put in.

Fully aware the Pandarens, and the natter from Blizzard suggesting they might turn up for a while now. It's probably me - I never really liked the gnomes either, too cutesy.

Perhaps I need to buy the expansion pack, turn on a new set of eyes, and play it again - in fact I'm open to trying it out, just to see if it really does change the gameplay :beerchug:

Afalk
08-23-2012, 04:32 AM
Nah, download hte 7 day trial for TERA online instead -- I am enjoying that far more than I ever did WoW :) http://tera.enmasse.com

DogBoy
08-23-2012, 06:21 AM
Man doesn't leave sword. He puts it in his belt because it is broken in half and not as useful as it had been.

Real story, human and orcs fight on sea, ships sink. Human and orc find land and each other and fight. Panda interferes with both. Both turn on new, common enemy, panda... fight ensues... Panda's land is revealed and human and orc realize it isn't just them vs one Pandaran.

I like Bilious' version better. Admittedly it took me a while to realise the sword was broken, but a broken sword is much more useful then a pointy stick.

Cryonic
08-23-2012, 09:35 AM
I like Bilious' version better. Admittedly it took me a while to realise the sword was broken, but a broken sword is much more useful then a pointy stick.

And yet, spears were still used alongside swords... :)

kopperdrake
08-23-2012, 10:24 AM
Nah, download hte 7 day trial for TERA online instead -- I am enjoying that far more than I ever did WoW :) http://tera.enmasse.com

Looks interesting - I might have to do that. Now all I need are 48 hours in a day and I'm sorted ;)

DogBoy
08-24-2012, 04:06 AM
And yet, spears were still used alongside swords... :)

yeah, they give you a range advantage, but only if you use them as a spear ;). He doesn't even try to use it as a spear until he pulls his sword against the panda.

Hey, it's a fun vid, and if it makes folks play the new expansion, that's great. It just doesn't float my boat.

wibly wobly
08-24-2012, 05:22 AM
That Tera demo that you can play in your browser is pretty cool. I tried it a while back when it was announced but, after playing GW2 betas, I can't play other mmos anymore. They all feel so static and lifeless in comparison. I got used to having everything being a public quest. You don't compete with anyone over quests or resources because, you're all in it together. No need to form groups to help out each other either. I've never played a mmo where you want to see other people near you. In GW2 it means the game gets more fun. The world just goes on it's merry way with us or not. You just wander around and discover things happening and choose to jump in or carry on. It felt like playing Skyrim with a truckload of other people. It's not going to be for everyone but, man I've had a ton of fun playing it.

This fellow gives a pretty thorough explanation about what it's like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CyqGJHTjes