PDA

View Full Version : Best AVI codec for CD delivery

Lew
10-28-2003, 08:53 AM
Anyone had success with a codec for AVI's to include in a CD program? I've tried several settings, but so far it all has the Bad Chineese Movie Syndrome.
The movies would not be so bad if they didn't need to be Big Talking Heads.
Any way around this?
Lew

Jim_C
10-28-2003, 09:00 AM
Yes.
Use Windows Media Encoder 9 to encode the avi to a wmv.
Stick the wmv on the cd.
Use the walk thru on the program, choose cd as your delivery platform and High Def for the quality setting.
It will set the parameters to flow smoothly from cd and looks really really great. Probably won't notice the loss.
Tried and true method here.

trick
10-28-2003, 09:18 AM
If you have cash ($449): Sorenson Squeeze Compression Suite 3.5 (http://www.sorenson.com)

Absolutely the best, most compatible (mac/win), small filesizes, fast, exports to Quicktime, WMV, Flash, Mpeg4, etc and there is a $100 rebate if you order before Oct.31st, so $349

ScorpioProd
10-28-2003, 03:26 PM
I still recommend MPEG-1 352X240 CBR 1800kb/s and audio MPEG-1 Layer 2 at 192kb/s for maximum compatibility and decent quality on CD-ROM.

trick
10-29-2003, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by ScorpioProd
I still recommend MPEG-1...

oh yes...I forgot...MPEG1 and MPEG2 (Mainconcept codec) can be exported: reduces filesize by half and perfect quality !!!

Jim_C
10-29-2003, 07:39 AM
>>oh yes...I forgot...MPEG1 and MPEG2 (Mainconcept codec) can be exported: reduces filesize by half and perfect quality !!!

Mpeg1 is hardly perfect quality. Looks good yes. Perfect no.
mpeg2 and high def wmv's using windows media 9 much closer to perfection.

Eugene pointed out a key words for mpeg tho."maximum compatibility "
Wmv 9's wont play on Mac winow media players (yet..but soon)
and windows users must have WMP9 installed to play, but man is it pretty.

Pete Draves
10-29-2003, 07:53 AM
the problems with wmd files is not every computer can play them
quicktime - not every one can play them
mpeg4 - not every one can play them

mpeg1 - every one can play , even without a download
and self play programs are available that do not install on the comp.

mpeg 1 is the best distribution.
maybe not the best full screen, but the best distribution.

Pete

SBowie
10-29-2003, 08:02 AM
Agreed - a lot of people "click-off" when faced with a requester stating they need to download and install something to view a movie.

trick
10-29-2003, 08:15 AM
Again...Download the Professional Sorenson Suite Trial and see what difference it makes when using the MPEG1 format.

I thought this thread was about quality (codec) NOT about format (MPEG1,2,MOV,AVI,etc)

Pete Draves
10-29-2003, 08:37 AM
When we send quality to a client, we make a superbit dvd
Oh yes. When these are played in a computer they are notoriously small windows; but when played on a 50 inch tv (HD)
they look WOW.

Superbit does take a long time to download.
so my website uses mpeg 1 ( see below)
The attention span... if it takes too lont to play they move on
if they have to download a player>>> they move on

This is the real world of production
Send the DVD! but make it good

Pete
www.cvpro.tv (http://www.cvpro.tv)

Lew
10-29-2003, 09:39 AM
Thanks for all the imput guys, many things for me to look at and try. I'm having to embed these short clips in a program named Toolbook II, it's a CBT authoring program, and it'll only take AVI's. I would rather do the MPEGI, but can't get the video stage in the program to pick up the file. I've downloaded the Windows Media 9 codec, but it won't even accept a WMV file. Guess I'm stuck with really bad quality or bad play back errors. Thanks for the comments though, in the future I'll try some of the suggestions.
Lew

SBowie
10-29-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by trick
Again...Download the Professional Sorenson Suite Trial and see what difference it makes when using the MPEG1 format.

I thought this thread was about quality (codec) NOT about format (MPEG1,2,MOV,AVI,etc) Actually, if you read the original post, it started out life discussing AVI's.

trick
10-29-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by SBowie
Actually, if you read the original post, it started out life discussing AVI's.

So..quality...not format !!!

SBowie
10-29-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by trick
So..quality...not format !!! I am clearly missing your point, since you wrote "Download the Professional Sorenson Suite Trial and see what difference it makes when using the MPEG1 format" yet the thread is actually about AVI's, not MPEGs ... but that's ok, it's wandered about enough and is now starting to go in circles ;)

Jim_C
10-29-2003, 12:49 PM
Yea, I originally missed the point the 'avi' was part of a bigger program on the CD.
I just thought he wanted a format that would play straight from a cd standing by itself.
I wouldn't have suggested wmv's if I would have realized the first part.

Yadda yadda

jim

trick
10-29-2003, 12:54 PM
I'll make another try to explain what Sorenson is:

Sorenson makes a CODEC for a lot of FORMATS.
This means that if you want compatibility you can choose whatever format you want. This codec just offers another compression algorhythm. One remark has to be placed: they use the MAINCONCEPT codec for MPEG1&2 formats !!!

Do you want MPEG1 ? Use Sorenson to compress it, and make files that are two times smaller and far better in quality than using a non-professional codec. IMHO TMpegEnc can't touch it !!

The same if you want AVI, WMV, MOV, MP4, etc.

This is gonna sound like I'm affiliated with them, but believe me I'm not. I just wanna share my enthousiasm...

The biggest advantage is that whatever format your client wants (and this is something that happened to me a lot), your quality level is 100% consistent !! You can always get something like Discreet Cleaner XL, but then we're talking more $$$$....

trick
10-29-2003, 01:00 PM
Then there is the thing about complete CD-applications:

There are 5 options I know of:

1.Director: expensive, hard to master and mostly overkill
2.MultimediaBuilder: cheap, lot's of possibilities, but always in some sort of beta-phase and not MAC-compat.
3.Movieworks: look for yourself
4.EzediaMX: look for yourself
5. Flash

I would always opt for Flash combined with Sorenson. Instant compatibility for Internet and CD on one side, and MAC and PC on the other side...