PDA

View Full Version : Next Generation PRESETS

khan973
08-16-2012, 01:00 PM
Hello Everyone, I'm bringing this back to the table.

We will have an awesome LightWave 11.5, we have a great new website so I guess many new people will get onboard.
That said, as many new users expect, they will want to be able to achieve the best results in the shorter amount of time.

That is what Presets can do! With only presets, Lw's learning curve or work quality can improve tremendously!

SURFACES
We NEED to have better surface presets. To me the ones we have right now damage LW's image and quality. Most of them cannot be used for pro work as they don't look good.
PresetCentral is awesome but we need to get nice surfaces out of the box.
I'm talking about real nice surfaces that you can use for Product visualization, Archviz and tweak with little efforts.
Node presets (which we don't have right now) & Layer surfaces.
This will push new comers to the next (or present) level.
I see many people modeling nice stuff but using presets and it just doesn't look good.

Shading the right way can take time so a little help might be good.
I'm down to contribute, maybe LigtWave 3D Group could launch a contest and the top surfaces get picked to be in the package.

RENDERING
We could also have rendering presets (+ being able to save ours without the plug in)
Like Interior, exterior, 3point lighting, fast GI, Animated GI...
Just to ease the process.

What would be top notch is to select whether you are in GI or not and then just have a quality vs speed slider that makes everything right for you (antialiasing, GI parameters, sampling...).
That would suit perfectly LW's philosophy, more creativity, less hassle! That tool for artists

POSING & ANIMATION
GENOMA's demo was awesome! Now it makes me want to be able to save presets on those rigs too!!!
It couls be the same Tree Lino designed (Hands, spine, legs, Human...), then have poses or animation presets(maybe an icon shows if it's animated or not).
That way, for any Biped, Quadruped, hand, leg, spine, spider, you can have or store motions and test your characters really quickly.

I can think of people creating libraries like "Spiderman presets" where you can have poses, and animations or "Heroe presets" with stereotypical heroe poses. Lino has made the biggest work, now storing positions for the bones desn't seem harder.

I think with better, new presets, LigtWave will be killer! (I mean even more Bad A** than it is already)
I see too many people who aren't good but use Vray presets or surfaces and make great work.

This could apply to dynamics & Flocking too...
I think this has been put aside because there were priority and I'm happy they stayed focused but it needs to be addressed as we've been having those surfaces forever...with the community, it wouldn't take so mu efforts to make something awesome.

What are your insights?

COBRASoft
08-16-2012, 01:32 PM
^^ Agreed!

I already started a thread about this here (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=129688).

khan973
08-16-2012, 02:05 PM
Great, it will catch some attention then, but my pot is more generally Presets, not only surfaces.

prometheus
08-17-2012, 12:57 AM
You can add, object presets with thumb nail, scenes, displacement presets, motion presets, and complete particle fx with winds and hvīs applied.

Just add your scene, drag and drop a rock displacement terrain, drag and drop you aeroplane, drag and drop your motion path on to the vehicle, and finally drag and drop your particle fx preset at the time the aeroplane crashes
and hope for a lucky outcome.

Michael

khan973
08-17-2012, 01:39 AM
Funny but I'm being serious.
Presets are not a threat to artists but just a way to concentrate more on what's artistic.
Otherwise we would still be throwing command lines to display a simple sphere. Thanks god we humans can design tools to help us achieve tasks.

Personnally, I'd rather spend time thinking and designing great concepts than doing the same task over and over again. So presets are welcome!
I also expect the global quality of hobbyists and beginners to be higher, this will serve us all in the LightWave community.

JonW
08-17-2012, 01:56 AM
^^ Agreed!

I already started a thread about this here (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=129688).

Also agree.

The standard ones you can barely even call basic! The whole area puts a lot of people off & they just avoid this area if they can (I'm on this side of the fence as well). If there was a good breadth of surfaces, you can pick them to pieces and learn if you have the time, but as it is, it's just not helpful when you are in a hurrry!

prometheus
08-17-2012, 02:05 AM
Funny but I'm being serious.
Presets are not a threat to artists but just a way to concentrate more on what's artistic.
Otherwise we would still be throwing command lines to display a simple sphere. Thanks god we humans can design tools to help us achieve tasks.

Personnally, I'd rather spend time thinking and designing great concepts than doing the same task over and over again. So presets are welcome!
I also expect the global quality of hobbyists and beginners to be higher, this will serve us all in the LightWave community.

Funny? do you mean my post?
Im completly serious with that post, if it got a less serious meaning that was not my intent except for the final punch.

Im thinking of whipping up a mock up interface to show how fast and easy acess could be by implementing presets for a lot of stuff as I mentioned above.

The lux team has got that preset stuff somewhat right, except they still hang on to that awful shader tree way of UI.

Michael

khan973
08-17-2012, 02:41 AM
Language gap I guess I didn't get it right, I thought you were making fun of that "all preset" thing.

When you do the same thing or type of project over and over again, there are certain types of things you want to be a part of your working environment as presets like render settings, lights.
For now my presets are folders with scenes and objects.

prometheus
08-17-2012, 03:00 AM
Language gap I guess I didn't get it right, I thought you were making fun of that "all preset" thing.

When you do the same thing or type of project over and over again, there are certain types of things you want to be a part of your working environment as presets like render settings, lights.
For now my presets are folders with scenes and objects.

Not to worry, I wasnīt making fun of the "all preset thing" at all, I totally agree with you on it.

There is a buckload of enhancement that could be made in this area that Newtek for some reason havenīt had the time to look in too, of course they have worked hard in other areas.

One of the first things I would fix If I was in charge:D
Remove the annoying "would you really like to replace" requester, I want fast drag and drop surface, and that is without having to find correct polysurface first, if implemented well you should just have to drag and drop on the the object surfaces in one go, how much faster wouldnīt that be.

Having assets ready in your own customized shelf is extremly useful,
why browsing through different folders to add several different objects, when you can have the object preset shelfe displaying them with thumbnails in the same row even though they are collected from different folders.

Implementing graphic thumnail icons of the objects will remove the uncertain process of picking wrong objects and will give a better overview of what you would like to add to the scene.

Displacement presets would rock too, why go through the process of adding a plane, subdivide it, subpatch it, go to properties panel, deform, go to procedual layer, add layer, find the right procedural, tweak the procedural, set the falloff...puh...all this can be implemented for a fast workflow by simply..

1. From object preset panel-add subpatch terrain grid, which is set customized from start.

2. From displacement preset panel-add displacemt bomb..which is set with your favourite displacement procedural included with falloff.
This will allow for very fast workflow o terrain building, and having different presets for displacements you will get some nice variations.

Next would be to have object presets for trees, but that is still a long way to go since we do not have any tree system generator, you would have to collect a lot of trees first.

Michael

khan973
08-17-2012, 08:12 AM
I think all of this will be easier once Modeling tools will be implemented in Layout.
Because for now using presets means copying datas to Lw's directory while it could just create on the fly (with history stack).

Then it will be easier to create Cyclos, terrains, reflection panels or photo sets.
Modo's plug-in for creatingphoto sets is awesome +it uses hdri from photo diffusers and lights which givs pretty accurate results.

I think it is planned because in CORE there was a general preset panel that was allowing pretty much everything in presets, even parameters for tools.

It would also be easier to solve this with nodes.
If everything was accessible with nodes and that we could define what inputs and outputs we want to allow, we could juste create an "empty" node in which we have the whole set up like create a plane, displace it, create physical sky, use those renderparameters and so on. Then your preset is just a node tree in which you allow let's say just to control the size of the plane and number of subdivision as an input to make it simple to tweak. But this concept was CORE :)

Our node panel doesn't communicate with its own kind, dispacement nodes and surface nodes don't communicate.
Well, it does in one case, when you use Get Extra from DP Filter that gets a surface input to send it to image or pixel filter.