PDA

View Full Version : OT: Casio EXILIM EX-Z4 vs Pentax Optio S4

Matt
10-28-2003, 08:39 AM
Hi everyone, I know this is off-topic but I figured some of you may have either of these cameras for taking photos of textures etc. and I value peoples judgement on this site!

Basically I'm torn between these two cameras, they are almost identical, the only feature missing off the Casio I'd miss is the video out which would be useful for showing photos/movies on a TV, but apart from that I can't choose!

I'd love to hear opinions from anyone who has either of these cameras!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers
Matt

Beamtracer
10-28-2003, 02:40 PM
These digital cameras are great because of their small size, but you won't find many manual features for the photographic enthusiast.

The two cameras you mention, from Casio and Pentax are very similar, as those two companies have a technology sharing agreement. Casio is an expert in small electronics. Pentax is an expert in lenses. The most obvious thing is that both cameras sport the identical vertically folding lens.

I recently bought a 'Ricoh G4 Wide', which is much larger (so probably won't interest you) but it is the only one with a decent wide angle lens (equivalent to 28mm focal length when converted to conventional lens measurements) and able to focus down to 1 centimeter (less than half an inch). Very handy for grabbing extreme close up textures for Lightwave. It's also cheaper than the other two cameras you mention.

If you're looking for a micro camera, don't forget that Sony is now getting into the act:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/33554.html