PDA

View Full Version : PFL monitoring of audio

frank.leggett
08-16-2012, 12:24 AM
I have just done a job where I needed to record from an Aux source to play into the live mix. Unfortunately there is no way to monitor the incoming audio level and quality before or during recording. There is a meter of course but you don't know what the sound quality is like. I can of course put a speaker in front of the input but it would be easier if I could have a PFL on all inputs to output to the Headphone socket.

Frank

SBowie
08-16-2012, 04:50 AM
I don't disagree that it would be nice to have more flexible headphone options, and have often made the case for that myself - but I wonder if you could expand on your requirement a bit, Frank.

First, what model? Second, I'm not 100% clear what you mean by "I needed to record from an Aux source to play into the live mix". Recording Aux I get - but are you then running that recording 'into the live mix', re-routing Aux into the the live mix, or simply mixing the same source that you are also sending to Aux for recording? Other? And how is Solo falling short of your requirement in this case?

vanderwielen
08-16-2012, 10:16 AM
Frank PFL is Solo on newer tricasters. This is how we would do it.

SBowie
08-16-2012, 11:06 AM
Actually, unless my brain has glazed over with feature overload, XD model's Solo is AFL (but pre-Mute).

frank.leggett
08-20-2012, 04:35 PM
Sorry been away for a while.

I use the tricaster for producing a in house channel for a racetrack. Sometimes during the race we play back some recorded camera pieces and there is no way of telling what the sound is like without playing out live the footage.
The other day I recorded a piece of footage and when I played it back it was dreadful and it would have been nice to know that before I played it out onto the system.

My Tricaster is a 450

Frank

Lee-AVP
08-20-2012, 05:22 PM
Click "mute" and "Solo." Right?

SBowie
08-20-2012, 06:06 PM
Correct.

twalker17
08-24-2012, 11:48 AM
BTW... It's a PFL not AFL.....
I would guess this since you can mute the rail and still 'solo' it....
and it's not really a true 'SOLO' it's a PFL...
The audio verbage is misleading....

just sayin' that's all.....

Lee-AVP
08-24-2012, 12:05 PM
It's an after fade listen. I don't have a single console where the AFL is affected by the mute button.

SBowie
08-24-2012, 12:12 PM
BTW... It's a PFL not AFL.....No, it's not, Terry. It's AFL (you can verify this by simply adjusting the fader and noting it does have an impact).