PDA

View Full Version : Compositing a Compass

m4a2000
08-15-2012, 10:55 AM
I've been asked to make a compass for my school district, aka work, that can be put in someone's hand. So far I have the follow which is attatched.

Is there anyway to match the interlacing with the background picture and stay in LightWave?

Tech-
Background: 720 by 480 DV quality video (interlaced frames)
Filter: Box Sharp
Antialiasing settings: Low enhance #5 passes)
Motion blur type: Diether at 50%
Rendered still shown was from frame 0 of 30. Compass it animated to stay above it's stand in object.

Dexter2999
08-15-2012, 11:01 AM
Can't help with the interlacing, but you might find that using an HDR map for lighting will make the compass blend in with the video footage more.

Just trying to help.

m4a2000
08-15-2012, 11:34 AM
Can't help with the interlacing, but you might find that using an HDR map for lighting will make the compass blend in with the video footage more.

Just trying to help.

Thanks for the help. I've been using LightWave on and off over the last seven years and I'm really just a novice. It doesn't help that they (my work) won't get me the latest version of LightWave. I'm stuck with 8.6.

mdharman
08-15-2012, 11:32 PM
Could use take it into PhotoShop and use the television scan lines trick?
http://www.photoshopcafe.com/tutorials/scan%20lines/scan.html

Dexter2999
08-16-2012, 12:11 AM
I wasn't sure but this tutorial says that LW 8.0 supports HDRI.
http://www.cgarena.com/freestuff/tutorials/misc/hdri_lightwave/index.html

Might be worth your time looking it over.

Good Luck.

Brötje
08-16-2012, 02:47 AM
About the interlacing... You can render in field straight out of Lightwave. Just make sure you have the right Field Order, OR you can deinterlace your footage first in a package like After Effects and use that as a background. :)

m4a2000
08-16-2012, 03:05 PM
Thanks again for all the help. This project has really been a learning experience. After some test renders yesterday I just went ahead remodeled the object to be the same size as my stand-in. To me it just made it easier to handle. Using the HDR was a little hard at first due to LW crashing a few time, but after I reloaded the plug-ins everything was fine. Did some adjustments to the lights and spent a good two hours on the camera settings. After all that I took my footage into AE3 and exported it back out deinterlaced.

Thanks again for all the help and tips!

Silkrooster
08-16-2012, 11:59 PM
Very nice, if anything, I would say the hand is a bit too light compared to the compass. But over all it quite nice.