PDA

View Full Version : can you turn the hub off?

fabmedia
03-03-2003, 01:18 PM
Does anyone know how to turn the Hub off on the Mac. I'm on OS 10.2 with LW 7.5. I'm getting pissed. I believe that it is the cause of crashing with a couple of plug-ins that I have including Saskwatch.

Thanks.
Arlen

riki
03-03-2003, 07:35 PM
I don't use OSX but check this page they have lost fo mac OSX LW tips
http://www.exch.demon.co.uk/

wapangy
03-03-2003, 09:58 PM
Yes, open the lightwave and modeler cmd files in the program folder, and just type " -0 " in each one and save them. It makes everything much more stable.

mlinde
03-03-2003, 10:06 PM
To be specific, make sure the first line of your Modeler cmdLine and Lightwave cmdLine file is
there may be other things in the file, like a preferences directory path, that must come AFTER the -0

Jimzip
03-04-2003, 04:49 AM
I've never had any trouble with the HUB, but then again I hate using SasLite so..
What's all this about added stability?

mlinde
03-04-2003, 07:12 AM
Many people have reported instability in the get/put functions via the hub, leading to an application crash. All the other hub "functions" like autosave don't work anyway, so why allow the application processor cycles it doesn't utilize and can't really take advantage of?

If you have never had any issues with the hub running, and you utilize the get/put functions often enough to keep it running, then by all means, keep it running. Otherwise, there really is no advantage to using the hub.

Ade
03-04-2003, 07:18 AM
Fabmedia did disabling the hub work for u?
I have the same prob with sas full, it keeps telling me missing dongle error..

Ade
03-04-2003, 08:28 AM
Just tried it and sasquatch full still wont load, gives me some kinda message about error didnt recognise dongle please contact worley..
I guess this is what i get for buying packages from ebay? Could afford much so i had no choise, can anyone help, its asking for some sort of serial? i have the dongle pluged in.

wapangy
03-04-2003, 08:51 AM
I don't have sasquatch but I think it needs a code connected to your dongle just like lightwave. Contact worley about it.

fabmedia
03-04-2003, 11:44 AM
Wow look what I started...

Yes Sasquatch's serial number is connected to the dongle. But I haven't figured out where to put the "-0". I do crash a lot, and my best guess is because of the hub. Something is really weird. I'll go a while without crashing, then crash all the time. I think it has something to do with memory issues like how many applications you have running. I have noticed that if I have Photoshop running at the same time, LW has a tendancy to crash more often. But most of the time it's just Modeler and LW. It would be nice to disable and enable the hub via a checkbox but I really don't think that that will ever happen. I like the fact that Modeler and LW "communicate" everyonce in a while. It saves a lot of hassle, but with the amount of crashing that I've been having lately, I'd like to see if it makes a difference.

Now the LW and Modeler CMDLine file, I've not been able to find that on my Mac (OS X by the way). where is it located and what line do I change?

Arlen

wapangy
03-04-2003, 02:05 PM
They should be in the same program folder that the modeler and lightwave applications are in, if they are not there, just create text files with those names

LightWave cmdLine

Modeler cmdLine

make sure they are text, but with no .txt extension on the end

ingo
03-04-2003, 03:04 PM
There is a simple solution, just move the Hub out of the program folder. Thats how it works for me on X10.2, why should i use a functionless software.

fabmedia
03-04-2003, 03:08 PM
I've done it and no Hub. I actually see a bit of a performance difference on start up. So I have two other questions...

1. where did you get your model of the iMac and is there a G4 model out there...
and
2. does anyone know about any future release of LW and when it may be coming out?

Arlen

wapangy
03-04-2003, 03:13 PM
I made the model myself :) (took forever)

See my thread here... http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54

I had heard there was supposed to be an update before last Christmas, I'm hoping for something any time now.

Julian Johnson
03-05-2003, 04:13 AM
Most of the time I have the Hub off because when it does lose sync between Layout and Modeler it starts to screw up the Prefs files. Yesterday it added some bogus information into my Hub Prefs for no good reason. (I usually lose sync with large morphmixed objects, interestingly..)

However, it is absolutely indispensible when I'm making geometry for Front Projections - just being able to click from Modeler on one screen to Layout on another to see the impact a little bit of point pulling is having is vital. I hate going back to change, object replace for this sort of stuff.

Now, if someone would just write a simple AppleScript with AppleScript Studio to quickly insert/remove a -0 at the beginning of the Modeler and Layout cmdlines everything would be so much easier. Heck, I wonder if it's LScriptable..

Julian

mlinde
03-05-2003, 09:18 AM
Julian, the cmdline would be lscriptable, but it might be easier with Applescript, since you could run it from outside.

If I have some time today, I'll play with both solutions...

mbaldwin
03-05-2003, 09:39 AM
go, mlinde, go!

If that doesn't work, I can ask a few applescript people at work here.

Julian Johnson
03-05-2003, 09:51 AM
mlinde - excellent news :-).

Julian

fabmedia
03-05-2003, 11:47 AM
Julian,

I noticed that your site talks about screamernet. Does SC and network rendering allow multiple systems to render different frames at the same time, or multiple areas of a single frame like a dual processor? My other question to you is how do you get the darn thing working?

Arlen

Julian Johnson
03-05-2003, 01:27 PM
Hi Arlen,

Yes, Screamernet distributes frames from a scene across multiple CPUs. It doesn't however, let you split up a single frame for rendering across more than one CPU. You'd need to invest in something like Butterfly Net Render to achieve that.

http://www.liquiddreamsolutions.com/

The controller element of BNR is PC only at the moment.

The best way to get started with Screamernet on OSX is to head over to Jon Baker's site. Jon's authored an excellent utility for controlling Screamernet renders and the application lets you control one node for free. The download includes full instructions on how to set up Screamernet.

http://www.catalystproductions.cc/screamernet/download.html

The definitive way of using Screamernet with the Network Rendering component of Layout acting as your render controller is laid out here by Dirk Van Sloten:

http://homepage.mac.com/nonplanar

I think you've probably seen many of the threads in either this or the old board about how tricky Screamernet is to setup and debug. It is :-). However, if you follow either of the instructions above *to the letter* it'll work. If not, you're welcome to email me but it all usually ends in a feast of mutual incomprehension and incredulity ;-)

Julian

mlinde
03-05-2003, 03:32 PM
So I put together a straightforward LScript that will enable or disable the Hub, from Layout. There are no instructions included or documented other than right here:

1) go to http://home.earthlink.net/~mlinde/downloads/index.html and download the Enable/Disable Hub LScript, put it somewhere in your lscripts directory (I have a sub-directory called Custom for the scripts I write and collect).
2) Launch Layout.
3) Edit Plugins (Option-F11) and scan the LScript directory.
4) Edit the Menu layout (Option-F10) and add the Enable/Disable Hub to the menu somewhere (the plug is in the plug-ins listings, and I added it under LScript tab, Utilities listing).
5) Quit Layout (to save those changes)

Now, you can enable or disable the Hub from the button in Layout. Note that you must still quit the Hub manually if it was running. I'm looking into that as an automatic function, but this is a start at least, and you don't have to manually edit the cmdLine files anymore. Oh, it kills the hub for both Modeler and Layout, but must run in Layout.

Later...

fabmedia
03-05-2003, 05:09 PM
My god, you LScripting people are complete mavels. If something needs to get done, you guys can do it. Amazing!

Thanks oh so kindly, I'm forever in your debt.

Arlen

fabmedia
03-05-2003, 05:10 PM
Sorry, but your link is not working. Can't wait to try it though...

A

mlinde
03-05-2003, 06:04 PM
Sorry, I killed the link as I tried to solve some late arising bugs, I will repost when I'm sure I won't make your life worse :)

PHilly[Dee]
03-05-2003, 08:47 PM
you can also just create a "temp_" folder in the programs dir, and move HUB.EXE there. Since it's no where to be found, LW just starts without it... (I'm using PC, though, and I don't know what it'll do on MACs...)

mlinde
03-06-2003, 07:22 AM
I've reactivated the link to download the Enable/Disable LScript. There are still some issues with custom setups, that I am looking into, but if you use the standard "User:Library:Preferences" structure for your preference files, this should work for you. Review the notes on using it in my earlier post, please.

Also, make BACKUPS of your cmdline files before you run this the first time, in case you have issues with how the script executes. There are two cmdline files to worry about: "LightWave cmdline" and "Modeler cmdline"

This script works fine for me, but again, as a disclaimer, it is a "use at own risk" issue.

http://home.earthlink.net/~mlinde/downloads/index.html

fester
03-27-2003, 07:43 AM
I had problems rendering a scene that's using unreal shader and toon tracer. It quit everytime. It would render fine right up to the last step where it draws the "toon" outline. Then it would quit. I just got the hub to turn off, so I psyched about that, but LW still quits just the same.

I had to start up my G4 with the OS9 system (not running as classic, but actually booting up with OS9) and render the scene out that way. The drag is that I haven't been able to get screamernet to work in OS9 for a long time. It just stopped working for some reason. I had been using it without a single problem for months, and then for no reason it just didn't work. Weird. But screamernet for OSX works fine. I just couldn't use it for this cel-shaded project using unreal.