PDA

View Full Version : C4D: ideas to swipe

jeric_synergy
08-14-2012, 10:40 PM
I've been learning C4D, and it has some very nice UI features that would be grand to see in LW.

Its equivalent to the GE has two things I'd like to swipe:

as you move the cursor within the graph area, tiny hash marks follow its location on the X and Y (value and frame) axes, so it's easy to see what you're doing, and;

the extremes, the highs and lows,of the keyframe range is displayed across the width of the graph as a light, dotted line (I mistakenly thought you got a full width key crosshair at first, another thing I'd like in the LW's GE).

Beyond that, the UI also makes good use of color.

There's some good ideas in C4D that should be cherry picked for LW12. (OTOH, the font for their help systems is ludicrously small.) :hey:

ShadowMystic
08-14-2012, 10:48 PM
I have to say C4D would be my second choice to use professionally. It was odd at first but came to like it and could navigate easily. For some reason I can't get a handle on AD stuff as easy as LW or C4D.

jeric_synergy
08-14-2012, 11:10 PM
I'm warming up to it. Certainly faster than Blender, and you can get a job w/C4D.

Photogram
08-14-2012, 11:38 PM
I've just had to quickly learn C4D in the past 4 months and one thing i can tell about the software is fun to use but very limited compared to LW but a bit ahead of LW for modern features such as soft bullet and After Effect interchange.

But generally i found many weird things in the way to work one of it's most powerfull feature is baking and the thing i hate is the software not very stable... crash often, hang and freeze, problem with the gui redraw when resizing windows and i get a total crash of the software that stop working even after reinstalling the software... ( corrupted configuration ) and problem when Nvidia threaded optimization is ON.

And no dome light...

I prefer by far modeling in Lightwave (freeform modeler) because no annoying locator and axis hierarchies that force you to model in the axis of the parents!!! That is one of the main reason i never want to model in any other app exept Lightwave and Modo. Apart the shading tree in modo i think modo have the potential to be a better software than CineToy4D
:jam:

ShadowMystic
08-15-2012, 12:48 AM
I've just had to quickly learn C4D in the past 4 months and one thing i can tell about the software is fun to use but very limited compared to LW but a bit ahead of LW for modern features such as soft bullet and After Effect interchange.

But generally i found many weird things in the way to work one of it's most powerfull feature is baking and the thing i hate is the software not very stable... crash often, hang and freeze, problem with the gui redraw when resizing windows and i get a total crash of the software that stop working even after reinstalling the software... ( corrupted configuration ) and problem when Nvidia threaded optimization is ON.

And no dome light...

I prefer by far modeling in Lightwave (freeform modeler) because no annoying locator and axis hierarchies that force you to model in the axis of the parents!!! That is one of the main reason i never want to model in any other app exept Lightwave and Modo. Apart the shading tree in modo i think modo have the potential to be a better software than CineToy4D

And I thought it was just the crummy Macs we had to use in class. I haven't had a crash but I have R13 at hoem and has been used so little the demo hasn't even been activated yet.

jeric_synergy
08-15-2012, 01:47 AM
I prefer by far modeling in Lightwave (freeform modeler) because no annoying locator and axis hierarchies that force you to model in the axis of the parents!!!
??? Isn't that the thing that some LWers are always whinging about Modeler lacking?

I haven't challenged the s/w yet, but there's many aspects I like: for one thing, it just seems modern: no dialog boxes where I could have just entered the value in the same places its displayed. (sheesh!)

To me C4D so far is like LightWave but with a bunch of really well-integrated 'wizards' that do stuff that might take fifty+ keystrokes and mouse interactions to set up. Plus, while I'm not at all able yet to predict what a given shader is going to do, the rote stuff I've been simply following has resulted in some cool surfaces, and there's literally scores of parameters I haven't touched yet.

We'll see how I feel about it once I know it better. Meanwhile, here's hoping NewTek steals some of the simpler good ideas that fit the LW paradigm.

prometheus
08-15-2012, 11:09 AM
Rip off cinema4dīs new sculpting tools in scene context.
Rip off the new guide workplane snapping.
Rip off parametric history modeling.
Rip off switch object type polygon to nurbs.
Rip off add terrain tool.

Im sure thereīs plenty more.
some things would just be compare feature like cinema hair vs fiber fx
or mograph vs DPontīs nodes..but thatīs another story.

I just noticed that Maxxon has a cinema4d r14 demo version to download, and it doesnīt seem to have any time limit.
got to test that soon.

Michael

jeric_synergy
08-15-2012, 11:16 AM
I just noticed that Maxxon has a cinema4d r14 demo version to download, and it doesnīt seem to have any time limit.
Watermarked?? Save limitations?

I'd really like a watermarked demo: save limitations are just too much.

Beyond specific features, I just really like the look of C4D: like I said, it looks modern. In comparison, LW is like a powerful Burning Man art-car: does more, but in a lot less comfort.

cresshead
08-15-2012, 12:28 PM
The CINEMA 4D R14 demo version can be activated with complete functionality* for 42 days, including the save function.

Download your CINEMA 4D R14 demo version today!*Limitations of the demo version:
All save functionality is disabled (except when activated)
Maximum rendering resolution of 640 x 400 pixels
No network rendering
Limited number of assets in demo libraries (libraries contain hundreds of objects in the full commercial version)
The demo version is not upgradeable to a full commercial version
The demo version is intended for evaluation purposes only. Any commercial use of the demo version, e.g. for training purposes, is not allowed.

http://www.maxon.net/en/news/singleview-default/article/cinema-4d-r14-demo-version-available-immediately.html

jeric_synergy
08-15-2012, 12:35 PM
Pretty generous. (42?)

Still, I'd rather have a fully functional version (after the timeout) with an extremely intrusive watermark, because I'm a Very Slow Learner. It's horrendous how long it's taking to get through this book of tutorials....

cresshead
08-15-2012, 12:39 PM
well you can still learn on it after day 42 of activation..you'll just have to go with the no save thing...better than autodesk...after 30 days by bye app...and modo demo is 15 days i believe...then bye bye...so quite good really

jeric_synergy
08-15-2012, 12:54 PM
...so quite good really
Yes, it's really quite nice, I shouldn't complain. :angel:

Been putting off activation, as all the tutes so far are quite short, and frankly re-doing them is probably a good practice anyway. Also, for the tutes that build on previous tutes, C4D allows multiple open projects simultaneously, ala PShop, so c&p'ing between them is easy.

Maybe when I get to tough stuff, or need to do my reel, I'll activate.

AFAICT, in demo mode, sequential renders are also disabled. no biggy.

prometheus
08-15-2012, 01:05 PM
well you can still learn on it after day 42 of activation..you'll just have to go with the no save thing...better than autodesk...after 30 days by bye app...and modo demo is 15 days i believe...then bye bye...so quite good really

Absolutly, I prefer a no save limit ..but being able to evaluate the software at any time without time limit.

Modo 15 days ..sucks.

Learn from this Newtek..provide people with a non ending demo, with some function limitīs instead along with a not to obstructive watermark, render size limit is acceptable.

Michael