PDA

View Full Version : object substitutions in sequence

Archigram
10-28-2003, 07:51 AM
For a brute force kind of animation I want to substitute slightly altered versions of an object (cow.1, cow.2, cow.3...) in sequence (frame1, frame3, frame5...). As far as I can see LightWave does not allow this sort of frame-specific substitution--you'd have to load all the objects for the full duration and then do something cumbersome like scale each one up from 0 at the right time and then down again. Am I wrong? Can anyone suggest a better way to do this? Thanks for your help.

gjjackson
10-28-2003, 08:45 AM
I would think the Object Replacement - Object List would work. The Options loads the text file you'd create.

From the manual..

ObjList

ObjList replaces the current object with those listed in a text file. The file is defined using a file requester that appears when you click the Options button. ObjList works much like ObjectSequence, discussed later, but the object replacement list lets you use objects in different directories or even across a network. The file must be formatted as follows:

#LW Object Replacement List
<replacement frame number>
<replacement object file>

Archigram
10-28-2003, 07:13 PM
Thanks a lot gj --I knew there must be a way. I should have mentioned I'm a new user. Sometimes you just need to be pointed in the right direction.

db

gjjackson
10-29-2003, 06:04 AM
Yep, we all just started at sometime.

mlinde
10-29-2003, 08:32 AM
Actually, the easier solution is to use the ObjectSequence without the list. You name your object with the frame it replaces in, so your cow would be
cow001.lwo
cow015.lwo
cow125.lwo
this replaces the cow in frame one with the object cow015 in frame 15, and cow125 in frame 125.

Simpler solution than the list.

Archigram
10-30-2003, 02:08 AM
That looks elegant. I'll try it. Thanks mlinde.

db