PDA

View Full Version : Skinning problems

esallett
08-14-2012, 05:14 AM
Hiya, Dont know if anyone can help.
Basically, I am trying to skin a rotating pipe with an arrowed png/jpg. I have tried all options I can think of and it is still not working properly. When I skin the object, I am putting it on a cylindrical projection, and putting it on the Y axis. What is happening however, is the skin is mirroring itself half way round, so I am ending up with the arrows coming back on themselves on the other half, or small section of the pipe, which is not the desired effect. I have re-made the pipe about 10 times already this morning to see if it is anything I have done wrong, but it doesn't affect the end result. If you have any idea what I can do, please can you let me know! It is driving me insane!!
I have also attached a JPG of Modeler showing what the skin does. This also does the same in layout.

As this is my first project using lightwave, Im not clued-up on all the short names for everything on here! So in lamens terms would be great! :)

The client is wanting this done asap so if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated!!

Many thanks

RebelHill
08-14-2012, 05:43 AM
wait... ur doing 3d for a client and u dont know the names for things in 3d?

sorry...

Anyhow. What ur doing is texturing, not skinning, thats something else (just so u know for next time). Also, everything looks fine, so I suspect its just an openGL glitch, have u tried rendering the object viewed from the offending area, does it show in render?

Push comes to shove, just make a cylindrical UV map for ur object and project ur texture using that.

esallett
08-14-2012, 05:51 AM
Everyone has to start somewhere, and I started by getting thrown in the deep end with a live brief!

I will give that a go and let you know the outcome!

Thanks

esallett
08-14-2012, 05:59 AM
Oh, and yes, it shows in the render.. which I hoped it wouldn't and it just be a glitch.

SplineGod
08-14-2012, 08:16 AM
Try playing with the width wrap amount, scale and maybe the tiling.

NinoK
08-16-2012, 12:18 PM
I've found that any of the standard primitive wrap methods (cylindrical, spherical, etc) work best when your geometry is centered in modeler. Your model seems to be a bit off center at the moment but as suggested, wrapping anything this way is not ideal because the second you move your model in modeler, your textures will be offset and you will have to realign everything. The UV method is probably the best in this case.