PDA

View Full Version : LIGHTWAVE GROUP removing that STIGMA

Julez4001
08-13-2012, 07:33 PM
45,000+ viewed Thread
LIGHTWAVE CONTEST and "THAT" STIGMA (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=87506&highlight=contest)

---------------------------------------------------

Indeed Siggraph 2012 showing, Lightwave Group, New website, magazine and Lightwave 11.5 has removed that STIGMA we all know and loom and gloom about. With new effort and interest that has been generated in the last 9 days, i think the community should also respond in kind by helping put Lightwave back into industry speak. Rather than a long drawn out paragraph I'll follow my trend in that age old thread and present do-able ideas (simple and quick) that the Lightwave Group and LW community can folster and really inspire those when they need that extra to carry on.

(1) Official LW / Siggraph 2013 CONTEST - great prize - start it soon!
(2) User based tutorials on Light-wiki or new Lightwave3D site
(3) Suppress Cinema 4d encroachment on Motion Graphic/Broadcast arena
(4) User based tutorials in 3D world and 3D Artist (there is new movement already)
(5) Online LW 11.5 Manual (make it just slick\Fresh as the website)
(6) Make Light-Wiki slick and attractive as new Lightwave 3D site (merge SpinQuad and other LW sites?)
(7) More commerical tutorials that focus on new features (fur, dynamics, etc)
(8) Take a page from VideoCopilot and do a new section on workflow on how easy and effective Lightwave new AE integration is (no 1 paragraph hushup)
(9) Do polling on feature request
(10) Do a TOP TEN "did you know" on Lightwaves commerical/free plugins (Erikals)

Philbert
08-13-2012, 08:11 PM
As for 3D World tutorials, you're not only helping LW users and spreading the word, but you're also getting paid for it.

GandB
08-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Game Development (Unity)....Game Development (Unity)....Game Development (Unity)......

You get the point. ;)

Verlon
08-13-2012, 08:36 PM
RE: fight encroachment in motion graphics - Take 3D Aresenal plugins / content and just integrate it into Lightwave 11.5/12. Build Easytext functionality into Text.

MagicHatApps
08-13-2012, 08:41 PM
:heart:We love LW/Unity!

adk
08-13-2012, 09:09 PM
Game Development (Unity)....Game Development (Unity)....Game Development (Unity)......

You get the point. ;)

I agree 100% with what you're saying but that is already a limited view of what other things Unity can bring to the table. I've done a few successful tests in-house & anticipate to use it heavily on a lot (if not all) of our development projects - around 20 in all & some are whole suburbs in terms of size. Toss in the fact that it's all able to be deployed & interacted with via the web & as stand alone apps for PC & MAC and you essentially have the base for great collaborative communication tool. All coming form an Arch Viz perspective ... and we all know how large that industry is as well. Make the translation from from LW-Unity as seamless as possible (instanced trees would be great as a quick example) and you have a tool that potentially a lot of folks would jump at.

Let's not forget AE as well ... judging by the amount of interest Element 3D has generated one would ignore either one of those at their own risk.

erikals
08-13-2012, 10:48 PM
As for 3D World tutorials, you're not only helping LW users and spreading the word, but you're also getting paid for it.

hm, how much...?

jeric_synergy
08-13-2012, 11:56 PM
Somehow, "STIGMA" looks like an acronym in this context.

Philbert
08-13-2012, 11:59 PM
hm, how much...?

I guess it depends on the size of the article, mine paid about $600 or $650 I think. One of those two, for 5 pages plus video. Hope it's OK for me to say that.

WCameron
08-14-2012, 05:24 PM
Simple Transfer Into Game Module Architecture

- Will.
apropo of nothing, and lack of sleep.

jeric_synergy
08-14-2012, 05:54 PM
I guess it depends on the size of the article, mine paid about $600 or $650 I think. One of those two, for 5 pages plus video. Hope it's OK for me to say that.
Specific topic?

Philbert
08-14-2012, 06:15 PM
Specific topic?

The topic of mine? It was on sculpting, UVing, and texturing an uzi in 3D-Coat. You can find it in issue 143, June of last year.

Julez4001
08-14-2012, 08:57 PM
The point of the thread is hopefully someone in Newtek is looking it for ideas and pull from our hive mentality of some of the common sense and generalized techiques that they can use. Now only as a good idea but folster this mood we all seem to be in.

- Unity
- After Effect Integration (we know its coming in 11.5) so we can't rate it good or bad. However AE CS6 raytrace has not taken off well in the market as a usable tool while VC's Element for AE has purely overshadowed any CS6 3d featureset. LW needs to get stuff into Ae and Element.

I really thinks it time for a non-destructive Text Tool in Layout.
Its a little embarassing to have to redo Text from scratch while apps like Cinema 4d and AE's Element makes it easy peasy in real-time.

Camera in Modeler specifically for matching live plates

shrox
08-14-2012, 08:59 PM
Simple Transfer Into Game Module Architecture

- Will.
apropo of nothing, and lack of sleep.

I got it.

mikala
08-14-2012, 09:23 PM
Get the "Team" up here to Vancouver, to where a lot of work is being done with other packages and actually "shake some hands and kiss some babies" as it were, to get some studios on board again.
Strike when the iron is hot and where some anvils are located. Hint Hint.

Philbert
08-14-2012, 09:31 PM
I really thinks it time for a non-destructive Text Tool in Layout.
Its a little embarassing to have to redo Text from scratch while apps like Cinema 4d and AE's Element makes it easy peasy in real-time.

I believe this would require a history stack. Quite an undertaking.

monovich
08-14-2012, 09:46 PM
A history stack is my biggest Lightwave fantasy, and the thing that will drive me to eventually learn C4D to round out my toolset.

Julez4001
08-14-2012, 10:12 PM
Well I would like the Text Tool to have its own history stack that it saves somewhee to the harddrive that way Newtek isn't stuck on making a slew of changes to how it works and the something tool doesn't work with history stack, just focus on the text tool in Layout having it.