PDA

View Full Version : Chrome text

davo.lwo
08-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Hello

Does anyone have any tips for creating a nice chrome text > Heres what I have all ready but want to improve on it, I have a HDRI as an image world. Any tips on how to improve it would be great.

Thanks
Davo

BeeVee
08-13-2012, 06:14 PM
Anything reflective is dependant on the environment it's in and reflecting. It looks more like you are going for a brushed metal look than chrome?

B

davo.lwo
08-13-2012, 08:33 PM
Thanks, I have a chrome reflective map. This is the look I want to they get.

erikals
08-13-2012, 11:57 PM
like BeeVee says, you have to use another reflection map.
(search for free HDRI maps online)

adk
08-14-2012, 12:41 AM
Thanks, I have a chrome reflective map. This is the look I want to they get.

Funny ... cause I was going for a similar look myself :D
(I expect to be shot down by a few fellow Aussies shortly)

Seriously tho, BeeVee & erikals both make good points. You need to have a closer look at that premiership cup & see what sort of environment it's reflecting + how reflective / blurry / brushed / smooth it is. The fact that it's a curved surface where as your text is flat will make the reflections appear quite different.

JonW
08-14-2012, 01:51 AM
As already said reflections depend on what is reflected. Well over a decade ago I had to shoot a chrome statue for a small business award, they are actually still using the photo today! I had to set up lights around the object, left, right, behind, 3/4 behind, above etc. To get a pleasant set of high lights and in the right order brightness and key features. It was a miserable little thing to do, as soon as you fixed one highlight you got two new unpleasant highlights!

Anyway you may not have the right background to suit the subjects reflective requirements. Maybe just a handful of black and white polygons of a few different sizes is all you need.

prometheus
08-14-2012, 02:25 AM
The text your showcasing is extruded bevel text which are flat.

the trofe is a round shape suitable for chrome, but it is inset engraved text.

These are quite different.

It is very hard to get a good chrome clean look for the first named when it doesnīt have curved surface, your text is pure flat on exept for the bevel edges, would look better with brushed chrome (bumpīs stretched or use photoshop to create the image with noise and use direction blur)

if You do a trofe with inset text..that is a lot easier.

as mentioned ..find hdr reflection images, and perhaps control it within the surface with seam angle rotations.

I have found it hard to get Lightwave metal look to equal metal look I have tested in octane and keyshot, they are much faster to set up good metal look and also has more physical correct lighting and physical materials true to real world.

conductor is sweet but still hard to get that extra realism I think.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=106232&stc=1&d=1344932651

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=106233&stc=1&d=1344932651

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=106234&stc=1&d=1344932651

Michael

erikals
08-14-2012, 04:54 AM
for a still image though, it's sometimes best to just fake it with a flat texture...

davo.lwo
08-14-2012, 05:04 PM
Thanks guys, I'll play around with different BG HDrs, might try modelling the text as sup patches too.

adk I have Collingwood as as placehold team on all my graphics !!

Otterman
08-15-2012, 07:06 AM
Nice clean bevels, subpatched geometry light with various gradient backgrounds yields a nice metallic feel.