PDA

View Full Version : Exporting camera data to After Effects, help!

MJ23
10-28-2003, 07:03 AM
Does anyone know the best way to export a cameras motion from lightwave to Adobe After Effects so that you can add text etc. using the same camera motion as used rendering a scene in LW?
I've tried a plug-in called Transmotion but can't get this to work in OSX...
Any ideas?

drclare
10-30-2003, 09:56 PM
doesn't AE 5.5 have built in support for lightwave camera data? Or is that just the production bundle?

jcool
10-30-2003, 10:18 PM
Just Maya, I believe.. Transmotion seems to work very well on PC, but I can't remember if I had any luck on the Mac..

Beamtracer
10-31-2003, 07:22 PM
Have a go with Transmotion. I had difficulties with it, but that might just be my user error. I must give it another go myself, but it's not that easy.

It is the biggest failing in Lightwave that the camera data can't be used by After Effects. C4D can do it. Maya can do it. Lightwave can't.

If you do a search in the "Feature Requests" forum, you'll find some old posts from me requesting this as a feature for Lightwave.

After Effects 6 came out and still didn't accept LW motion data. That means the only way we'll ever get it is if Newtek makes a plug-in to achieve it.

If you want to do serious 3D work you need to composit your 3D renderings. There are some fx and looks that just can't be achieved inside a 3D application.

It is a huge frustration that the powers that be don't consider integration with After Effects a priority addition to Lightwave.

Despite the DXF+ deal, After Effects is still the most popular compositing application used by Lightwave animators.

Julian Johnson
11-01-2003, 12:49 AM
I just did a quick check with the demo version of Transmotion 1.51 and it looks like the LW to AE camera exporter is broken with 7.5c (probably because of the changes to LScript with 7.5c). However, it does seem to work with 7.5 under OSX - the camera data from LW is converted into a text file which can be pasted directly onto a 3D camera layer in AE. I'd email Al Street to check whether there is an issue with 7.5c Transmotion under OSX but if you can fall back to 7.5 then it might be the solution.

Julian

Beamtracer
11-02-2003, 09:56 PM
Eki, the person from Helsinki, Finland, who is famous for the "Eki's Plug-in Pak" collection of Lightwave plug-ins, is currently working on a motion data exporter to work between Lightwave and After Effects.

http://eki.3dfightclub.com/BETA/Screenshots/AEX.gif

More details from Eki on this thread in the Feature Requests section:
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10739

If you think this is a good idea, and you'd like to be able to export camera motion from Lightwave to After Effects, then please leave a comment on that thread.