PDA

View Full Version : stereo films and health

silviotoledo
08-13-2012, 08:27 AM
What are the problems or bad feelings that the stereo film may cause?

If you have some info about it, please post it here.

I saw yesterday two films ( 5 hours ). I experienced a malaise especially in motion blur scenes and today I woke up with dizziness and headache.

If this is the current way the show is going to be presented from now, we need to take care of health.

This is what I got from wikipedia:

Health effects

Some viewers have complained of headaches and eyestrain after watching 3D films. Motion sickness, in addition to other health concerns,are more easily induced by 3D presentations.
There are primarily two effects of 3D film that are unnatural for the human vision: crosstalk between the eyes, caused by imperfect image separation, and the mismatch between convergence and accommodation, caused by the difference between an object's perceived position in front of or behind the screen and the real origin of that light on the screen.
It is believed that approximately 12% of people are unable to properly see 3D images, due to a variety of medical conditions. According to another experiment up to 30% of people have very weak stereoscopic vision preventing them from depth perception based on stereo disparity. This nullifies or greatly decreases immersion effects of digital stereo to them.

and also see this article:

More About the Possible Health Risks Associated With Stereo 3D

http://3dvision-blog.com/3285-more-about-the-possible-health-risks-associated-with-stereo-3d/

rcallicotte
08-13-2012, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the heads up. This is interesting. I wonder if it's more how it's done, in terms of the amount of blue / red separation or other issues/

Titus
08-13-2012, 10:04 AM
It was advised by our pediatrician to not expose our kids to stereo movies.

geo_n
08-13-2012, 12:22 PM
Stereo movies and pscyedelic colors on videogames can cause epileptic seizures.

fgreen
08-13-2012, 02:01 PM
I remember seeing an article late last year on how Breaking Dawn 3D was causing seizures in viewers. At the time I thought it was pretty disturbing, as it was affecting people who had no previous history of any seizure activity. Here is a link.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainment/2011/11/twilight-breaking-dawn-scene-allegedly-causing-seizures/

JamesCurtis
08-15-2012, 12:06 PM
As far as I can recall, about 2% or so of the population have problems properly "seeing" Stereographic 3D. Also, it has been recommended by many TV manufactures that those watching 3D should take a small break every hour or so.

Red/blue glasses would especially be problematic, though these days shutter or passive glasses are the norm. I never really thought they were very good anyway.

I've had no such problems seeing 3D myself, but It could ideally produce some eyestrain if the 3D image isn't set up properly causing eyes to strain too much to resolve a proper image. Too much separation can cause this to happen.

Cryonic
08-15-2012, 01:02 PM
Red/Blue glasses don't work for me. Shutter glasses also don't work. The only method I've found that works is Polarized lenses at the Imax screens. All the others just fail to produce any real sense of depth. Instead I continue to see the two images which leads to a blurry view of the scene.

JamesCurtis
08-15-2012, 03:24 PM
My home 3D HDTV is the Passive polarized Type [LG 42"]. I can also see Shutter type okay, but I hate the flicker which I do notice fairly well.

erikals
08-15-2012, 03:39 PM
you get glasses-free 3D now, i think it should be better for all.

i've seen it, and it's Great as it is clear bright, instead of dark like the 3D "sun" glasses.

might prove problematic for cinemas though...

JamesCurtis
08-17-2012, 11:40 AM
Have they effectively fixed/overcome the narrow viewing angle problems with no glasses 3d?

Is cost low enough for every man to afford?

Hieron
08-17-2012, 04:21 PM
you get glasses-free 3D now, i think it should be better for all.

i've seen it, and it's Great as it is clear bright, instead of dark like the 3D "sun" glasses.

might prove problematic for cinemas though...

None that I ever saw was as ideal as you make it out to be. Which did you see? usually there are a whole plethora of issues that come in when you try to get away from glasses....

Also, bad side effects from watching S3D content often come from bad S3D content. Simple. In normal 2D movies alot of things can be used to good effect like simple DoF. But in S3D this can give major problems..

Consider DoF for a second.. do you ever in real life encounter it so pronounced? Yet in movies it is very abundant. Not quite a problem if it is 2D but when 3D comes in, your eyes are not quite sure if they should be able to focus on it or not. Same for reflections, motion blur, parallax, alignment, ghosting etc. Your eyes will try and do their best, but they are made to make sense from great input material.

Also, in real life no one ever stops to consider a lamppost in detail and wonders "wow, that thing sticks out at me it is amazing, check that depth" while in S3D movies it is quite common. This will give issues as a viewer will try and focus on things that they would discard in real life. Find some real life curved reflective shape and do your best to see the reflected image in stereo. You often can't. In S3D movies this may be something your eyes will try to focus though..

erikals
08-18-2012, 07:26 AM
None that I ever saw was as ideal as you make it out to be. Which did you see?...

the glasses-free 3D display i saw was a prototype i believe...
the only issue was the resolution, but with 4K coming that should be somewhat fixed...