PDA

View Full Version : I need a Fix

spardacus
10-28-2003, 05:49 AM
O.K., I have several application related things going on that I don't understand ...

First, I just realized that I am apparently missing "Reduce Polygons" command.

I recently emailed someone because I couldn't complete part of his tutorial and realized I can;t find Reduce Polys anywhere in my top level menu items nor in the options.

A recent conversation included the following ...

"I'm running LW3D 7.5 on a PC, but I'm not sure that it matters. The LW user manual (25.11) actually lists it under the "Construct" -
"Reduce_Polygons" Command, but the dialog box calls it out as "Co-Planar
Polygon Reduction".

My setup:

G4 - Dual Gig
OS X (10.1.5)
Built in Memory = 1 Gig
L2 Cache = 256k
L3 Cache = 2 Mb
NVDA, GeForce4MX
Dual Monitor
Wacom Tablet

Seems like this command could be quite useful ... know where I might find it?

Also, LW is going back to unexpectedly quitting and freezing with color wheel more frequently. I have re-installed LW three times in the last 5 weeks.

There is a better way - right?

And, lastly, my numerics panel in Modeler has just become gigantic! I can;t see the bottom right corner to resize the window, and my green resize button in the top left does not work. With the numerics panel open it spans both monitors and obstructs everything in view when I attempt to see the numeric input area. Reverting to startup preferences doesn't work ....

Install again?????????!!!!!!!!!

What's up?

thanks

i am spardacus

spardacus
10-28-2003, 07:19 AM
Add to that last post that now when I test render a spotlight setup with volumetrics, my abort button starts the render over, and over, and over again.

?????

spardacus
10-28-2003, 07:46 AM
More frustration ... yesterday, after watching the Color Wheel spin for 20 minutes while "Clearing Scene" - I finally had to sever power to shut down my computer and reboot ... Command / Option / Escape didn't work.

Just now, the same thing when clearing a simple spotlight test scene and trying to reload another scene - "Spinning Wheels"

ARRRGGHHHHH!

bloontz
10-28-2003, 08:07 AM
Sorry can't help with most of your problems but qemLoss3 from Mavin Landis is pretty good for poly reduction if you haven't tried it.

eblu
10-28-2003, 09:22 AM
spardacus see the accompanying image.
I have the rem polygon tool, which i believe is what you are looking for.

perhaps you are having a preference problem, its time to delete your pref files, bc it sounds like they are corrupt.

there are way too many threads on how to do that, just do a search. this "should" clear up many of the issues you are seeing, and its something a re-install would Not be able to help. the bad news is you will have to setup lightwave again, ie: adding plugins, and fixing your settings and menus to the way you used to have them.

good luck
-eblu

bloontz
10-28-2003, 09:40 AM
Rem Polygons and Reduce Polygons are two different things. On the PC I have them both, on the Mac Reduce Polygons is missing. I believe I read something about that and some other plugins missing from the mac version a long time ago.

mlinde
10-28-2003, 10:28 AM
There are actually two issues here. First is if Reduce Polygons/Reduce Points is available in the vanilla 7.5, or if they returned in 7.5c. I can't answer that, but I have both of these plugins. Second is where they are set (on the Mac) in default layout.
1) Open Menu Editor (Option F10)
2) On the left side, click on the arrow next to "Additional" and scroll down to see if Reduce Points/Reduce Polygons are listed.
if listed
3) On the right side, click on the arrow next to Construct, then the arrow next to Reduce, then drag the Reduce Points and Reduce Polygons from the left side to the bottom of the reduction command list.
4) Close the Menu Editor
5) Quit Modeler and the Hub (if running).
Reduce Polygons and Reduce Points will now appear under Construct -> Reduce commands.
if not listed
Find one of the threads that discusses workarounds for the 7.5c bugs, and do the 7.5 hack to get these commands back, or install and run 7.5c.

mlinde
10-28-2003, 10:31 AM
This is what you will end up with:

tumblemonster
10-28-2003, 01:02 PM
Reduce Poly was absent untill 7.5c, when it was (finally) put back in. It is not in the menu by default, however. Mlinde posted the procedure to add it.

-tm

seikos1
11-15-2003, 12:40 PM
Hey Spardacus,

I have the same large (Huge) numeric panel problem on my G4 Powerbook 17", have you determined a fix yet?

Thanks

toby
11-16-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by seikos1
Hey Spardacus,

I have the same large (Huge) numeric panel problem on my G4 Powerbook 17", have you determined a fix yet?

Thanks

I think the answer to this (I've never had this happen) is to use the 'Zoom' command in the OSX 'Window' menu.

A brave soul might find the window size text inside the Preference file too -

Spardacus, did you check out your ram yet?

tumblemonster
11-17-2003, 12:38 AM
This has occured to me before. Deleting the prefs file takes care of it.

-tm