PDA

View Full Version : Volumedic to 3dprint your own intestine & bones?

prometheus
08-13-2012, 02:51 AM
How would volumedic work to print out 3d parts? from your own interiors? :)
or crt scans from relatives.

Might sound bizarre, we do have a scan of our mothers head,(passed away last year) and my brother got a full body scan which He might try and get hold of.

Im curious about wether volumedic has tools to make parts watertight and if it could work to send the data to a home 3d printer like makerbot replicator.

Since makerbot replicator accepts only stl as I know of, I suppose one needs to convert to poly mesh first and then export to stl, if it is possible to get watertight mesh that is, depends on partīs to be printed too I guess.

Michael

biliousfrog
08-13-2012, 07:06 AM
AFAIK Volumedic can convert polygonal meshes into volumes but I'm not entirely sure that it works the other way round.

prometheus
08-13-2012, 07:40 AM
AFAIK Volumedic can convert polygonal meshes into volumes but I'm not entirely sure that it works the other way round.

It should work to create poly meshes from volume.

"Mesh/Surface Object Creation:
VoluMedic offers tools for the creation of polygonobjects from volumetric objects. These can later be manipulated in LigtWave`s Modeler and/or exported to other applications such as e.g. CAD Applications or WRML or Shockwave 3D files."

http://www.volumedic.com/html/vm_features.htm