PDA

View Full Version : Top Secret Tessellated Frog Tech (Cryengine 3)

Danner
08-11-2012, 03:28 AM
I have been saying this for some time now: Game engines are the future of 3d animation, the future is closer than I thought.

http://youtu.be/JWvgETOo5ek

cresshead
08-11-2012, 04:15 AM
shame the game is so 90's!...run around shoot people...

the environments look really nice though, i'm sure someone will put that engine to good use, also i'm looking forward to the last of us..okay it's still shooting and running around but looks to have some sort of plot and storyline worth looking at.

50one
08-11-2012, 04:19 AM
Well, if you've got any other idea how to use this tech and sell it with luck to the target consumers then don't be shy, we're waiting for your ideas;)

geo_n
08-11-2012, 04:21 AM
Looks impressive. The artists that create the assets for the game probably need the fastest, best 3d modelling, texturing, baking tools out there.
Really time for NT to pump up development on modelling, sculpting, painting, tools.

lardbros
08-12-2012, 12:01 PM
We use CryEngine 3 at work... and use 3ds max as our content creation tool. Unfortunately LW just isn't quite up to the job at the mo... the export tools (which were very kindly made by Johan here http://www.walen.se/plugins.html ) are 3rd party and, apologies, but don't work with the current build.

3dsmax isn't perfect, but the exporter, and texture baking tools are far more advanced than LightWave's, and having the exporter updated with each build, as 3ds max's is, is brilliant. Not sure how much work it would be for Newtek to make an exporter that worked perfectly, but it would be AWESOME!!

The CryEngine is pretty amazing though... all lights, lighting, decals, and many other things are deferred at render time, so unlimited lights, and decals is a god-send. As long as your lights don't overlapped, you could add thousands, with no drop in processing.

The Crysis games aren't anything massively special though... they are okay, but have always found the AI a bit lacklustre, even compared to old-school shooty games like Goldeneye on the N64. Still, worth playing for the graphical beauty.

Ernest
08-12-2012, 06:56 PM
But it must be very well integrated with LW. Look at 2:04. They also use ParticleFX! ;)

shame the game is so 90's!...run around shoot people... No! You can also sit still and stab people with arrows... and run around and shoot aliens.

Wow, that tesselated leaf borders on insane quality for a shooter.

AbstractTech3D
08-12-2012, 11:26 PM
I have been saying this for some time now: Game engines are the future of 3d animation, the future is closer than I thought.

http://youtu.be/JWvgETOo5ek

It's hard to disagree.

It's easy to imagine 3D design software UI built upon some kind of mix of real time games engine like this, & a VPR. Both for real time graphics, plus event driven animations.

I speculate that this possible general direction of things is part of the reason for ex Nvidia guy coming on-board NT.

NinoK
08-13-2012, 04:22 PM
I really like the CE engine, however its utterly useless if you use LW. I've started learning maya just to move assets into it. 3Ds max works well too but I've always looked for a reason to learn how to rig in Maya. Granted, while the realtime everything is beyond awesome, the engine itself still needs a lot of work ( in terms of tools ) to make it really great for a tiny team of devs. They should just add FBX support like UDK and Unity IMO.

lardbros
08-13-2012, 04:28 PM
Yep... absolutely agree.

For this reason we still keep a lookout on UDK and Unity development. After all... every one of our assets will be easily converted to work in either now that they are done for CryEngine.

Titus
08-13-2012, 05:59 PM
They were developing a program to produce movies, but it seems they stalled the project.

Ernest
08-17-2012, 12:21 AM
They were developing a program to produce movies, but it seems they stalled the project.

Cryengine Cinebox (http://mycryengine.com/index.php?conid=59)?
Their page still says mid-2012.