PDA

View Full Version : Specific Fracture

Philbert
08-10-2012, 05:23 PM
I was wondering if anyone has seen a way to be very precise with Fracture. I know you can set a background object and it fractures more in that area, but I'd like to see it fracture only in that area. I also experimented with some thing very specific, like having a logo appear as fractured cracks, ithout much luck. Mainly because it fractured everywhere else too, going back to the first point.

djwaterman
08-11-2012, 03:53 AM
I had the same problem, if you just want a hole punched through a wall, how?

prometheus
08-11-2012, 05:11 AM
I had the same problem, if you just want a hole punched through a wall, how?

use ordinary tools for simple cuts in simple geometry, draw curves with sketch or splines on a background layer, but it has to be a flat geometry.
use drill and slice, then unweld then extrude to your wall thickness.

For simple things that is.

SplineGod
08-11-2012, 08:14 AM
What I usually do is similar to what Prometheus said...
I start with a flat polygon then draw splines in the background layer in the pattern I want.
I will weld the splines to each other especially if the crack starts in a central spot.
Ill put the splines in the background layer and use the slice tool. Next I hit Ctrl u to unweld everthing from each other. Create an endomorph called explode. Select the move tool and hit n and set the falloff mode to polygon. Now you can quickly pull the pieces apart as an endomorph. Now go back to the base morph and extrude. Now when you activate the explode morph the whole pieces still come apart.

dee
08-11-2012, 11:02 AM
Also, you can use an b/w image in the Density channel. This can be animated, as seen in the vid.

EDIT: possibly you need to lower the Glue Strength

prometheus
08-11-2012, 12:48 PM
another way with more solid objects, but still simple section cut type fracture.

For test purpose, create a box in layer one,create a shape in layer two with the pen tool where the fracture cut out will be, extrude that shape with normals out, and make sure it is extruded above and beneath the main shape to cut out from.

copy the main shape to layer three, then use layer one as active and use layer two with the cutting shape as background, go to construct/boolean and use boolean subtract, then go to layer three with the main shape (which is a copy of the first) and use the layer two as background layer, now you use boolean with intersect.

This will create two different cut out pieces, one with inside of the cutting shape and one with the outside, then you can simply copy and paste layer one and three together or merge them.

sounds tedious, but Itīs merely my explanation, if you do this a couple of times it will be pretty easy when you need this.

Edit ..You should merge points on geometry before flatten selected layers or before copy and paste them together.

Michael