PDA

View Full Version : Giving something back...

Waves of light
08-10-2012, 11:57 AM
Giving something backÖ

For years I have been amazed by the huge amount of unselfish generosity that comes from LW users on this forum, F3D and others. The likes of Kuzey, Matt, Lewis, Bill S, Bob McKane, SplineGod, Rebel Hill, Wolf, Cageman, Erikals, DPont, Lino Grandi, Gerardo, William Vaughan, Rigel, Treybor, Meurig, XswampyX, Mr Rid, Pavlov, Iain, Prometheus,Tobian, Kevman, Bee Vee, Geo_n, NickDigital, Svenart and so on and so on (sorry if I missed anyone off).

I would not be able to do some of the things I do today, or have achieved in the past, if it wasnít for these people.

With the changes being brought in e.g. LW Group, Rob Powers, LW11 and the buzz I got from watching Siggraph streams, it really is a good time to be a LW users, and I feel itís only fair to pass this on to someone else.

So hereís what I have in mindÖ

I have a spare LW9.6 seat that I donít use anymore and as long as I can confirm details with NT tech support, I would like to offer this out to the community for free. It has to go to someone you may know who does not have the money to purchase LW, but has a passion and a potential talent for 3D. Please, I really donít want this to be used by someone wanting to make a fast buck.

So what do you think, do you know someone who fits this criteria. Also, and I will get this confirmed by NT, but the new owner should be able to upgrade to LW11 (and get 11.5) for $695. Now I know that sort of negates the previous comment regarding the seat going to someone who canít afford to purchase LW, but they may be able to later on, so itís better than them having to find $1495.

Obviously I will only have to mail out the dongle, as the software (both Mac and PC versions) are available in the download area Ė once the licence transfer has been completed. And, if the user does upgrade to LW11, it's dongle free too!

Kindest regards,

Ricky.

OnlineRender
08-10-2012, 12:06 PM
as my granny used to say " the only thing you refuse is a slap in the face "

Waves of light
08-10-2012, 12:12 PM
as my granny used to say " the only thing you refuse is a slap in the face "

See, I missed you off the list. You're taking over and running the wiki deserves a mention too.

Seriously though, I just want it to be used to give someone a head-start in 3D.

Fsoto
08-10-2012, 12:14 PM
I gave a 13 year old boy, Joseph Jaggy, my old mac laptop and am teaching him Blender. I would rather teach him Lightwave. He leaves for Bali in January with his missionary family. He would be a very good candidate.

thank you

wyattharris
08-10-2012, 12:45 PM
My son is getting more and more into the creative side and away from games ever since he helped me with that Lego video. I really like this. I would love to give him an early advantage I never had but dear old Dad is always hogging Lightwave.

It would certainly make an 8 yr old happy. :D

Edit:
But whoever you choose, this is so very generous Ricky. Kudos to you.

Waves of light
08-10-2012, 01:01 PM
@fsoto @wyattharris: that's even better, giving it to young wannabe artists.

I'm sure there's no age restriction on a LW transfer/purchase, but I will check.

Kuzey
08-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Wow...I'm first on the list...that just can't be..haha

I love the idea, NewtTek should throw in an upgrade as well..hint..hint :hey:

While we're at it, there's still a free copy of LW from the Preset Central competition to give away. I called dibs, but I think Matt/NewTek are ignoring me :hey: :D

Kuzey

Waves of light
08-10-2012, 01:15 PM
Wow...I'm first on the list...that just can't be..haha

I'm sure they'll be people I've missed, but come on, some of your wire-frames showed me just how I should be doing it, how to do wireframe renders. And your metal packs are mental.

I love the idea, NewtTek should throw in an upgrade as well..hint..hint :hey:

While we're at it, there's still a free copy of LW from the Preset Central competition to give away. I called dibs, but I think Matt/NewTek are ignoring me :hey: :D

Kuzey

Lol.

Ok, let's bug Matt... we'll see what happens. Then again, give the lad a little time to recover from Siggraph... he didn't stop moving the whole time.

Ricky.

Kuzey
08-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Haha...I can just imagine Matt lying on a couch...refusing to move & Rob refusing to talk...while Lino sings in the background...refusing to stop :D

Kuzey

Waves of light
08-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Haha...I can just imagine Matt lying on a couch...refusing to move & Rob refusing to talk...while Lino sings in the background...refusing to stop :D

Kuzey

I think Kiki would put a stop to that with her 'stock hammer' :hey:

Oh I need more sleep.

Waves of light
08-11-2012, 04:00 AM
Ok, sent off the support question email to NT. I will wait to hear back from them and get back to you soon.

Cheers,

Ricky

rcallicotte
08-11-2012, 05:07 AM
LOL Good imagination.

Kuzey

R.Feeney
08-11-2012, 06:33 AM
Very cool and generous of you:thumbsup:

Andrewstopheles
08-11-2012, 07:28 AM
My 17 year old nephew Jerrick plans to be an animator after he finishes school. He would really benefit form a copy of Lightwave for sure, and since he's family I could probably help him out along the way with tips etc.

wyattharris
08-11-2012, 11:29 AM
Just thinking this through. The main problem is I take my dongle with me to work so my son can't use it. With the new dongleless version he can now run it anytime as long as I'm not also running it at home, right? (Haven't upgraded yet) My kids are homeschooled so he has lots of time during the day when he could be tinkering in Lightwave.

Nevermind, I withdraw my request.
You are going to make someones day Ricky!

lardbros
08-11-2012, 11:34 AM
I don't need a LW license, but just chiming in to say how kind and generous it is! The 'random acts of kindness' is brilliant! Hope something just as nice happens to you :D

Waves of light
08-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Very cool and generous of you:thumbsup:

See, you're another one that should be up there on the list. You gave loads of models away in the free models thread... which are great to download and pull apart. Cheers.

My 17 year old nephew Jerrick plans to be an animator after he finishes school. He would really benefit form a copy of Lightwave for sure, and since he's family I could probably help him out along the way with tips etc.

Noted... see final part of this post.

Just thinking this through. The main problem is I take my dongle with me to work so my son can't use it. With the new dongleless version he can now run it anytime as long as I'm not also running it at home, right? (Haven't upgraded yet) My kids are homeschooled so he has lots of time during the day when he could be tinkering in Lightwave.

Nevermind, I withdraw my request.
You are going to make someones day Ricky!

Ok mate, that's good of you and I can see your reason.

I don't need a LW license, but just chiming in to say how kind and generous it is! The 'random acts of kindness' is brilliant! Hope something just as nice happens to you :D

Cheers mate. Can you imagine... fast forward to Siggraph 2022 and some guy/girl is up on stage taking about how they started out in 3D because someone gave them a head start :thumbsup:

Ok, I now have 3 possible candidates (2 posted on here and one in a PM) so in the interests of fairness, and once I have the confirmation email from NT, I will place all three names into a bowl and pick one randomly.

I won't accept any further candidates. Thank you all for your suggestions.

I will notify the lucky person via this thread.

Regards,

Ricky.

P.S. Kuzey, any word from Matt, lol?

Wade
08-11-2012, 02:40 PM
Hey all looks like the student version ( full version but can't use it for commerical work ) is 195.00. That is super way cheep I would guess that a lot of young folk will be able to afford it at under 200.00.

NT would let student versions upgrade to full commercial for the price of the next upgrade. So if you know someone in school that wanted in then 195.00 would get them a copy of 11.5 and then when 12 is released they could upgrade for 695.00 and be ready to make some bank. Great priceing and deal for students if I am not mistaken.

W.

Kuzey
08-11-2012, 03:04 PM
P.S. Kuzey, any word from Matt, lol?

No word yet...but he's still refusing to move from the couch..haha

:D

Kuzey

lardbros
08-11-2012, 03:47 PM
Cheers mate. Can you imagine... fast forward to Siggraph 2022 and some guy/girl is up on stage taking about how they started out in 3D because someone gave them a head start :thumbsup:

That would be wicked! :) Another example of how cool everyone is around here! :)

zardoz
08-11-2012, 04:28 PM
that's really nice of you, Ricky. I wish I knew someone worthy of your gift.

cheers

Roodie
08-13-2012, 03:27 AM
I was about to ask for it, but saw the others - the license should definitely go to the young talents, and not to some old (well, 36 years seems a lot to ME :-D) programmer with a new hobby :-D

erikals
08-13-2012, 03:51 AM
 
this is cool stuff,
can't wait to see who the lucky winner is... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/king.gif

 

Waves of light
08-13-2012, 07:53 AM
Thanks zardoz, erikals.

Yer, it looks like it's going to a young potential artist. Check out the buy and sell section on the forum... I think there a few copies going cheap.

Still waiting on NewTek to get back to me re. Transfer details. But it's only Monday, plus they're just getting over Siggraph.

Waves of light
08-14-2012, 12:15 PM
Ok guys and girls.

I still haven't heard from Newtek, but I don't think it's fair to let people wait, so I stuck the three names on pieces of paper, folded them up, moved them around and picked one with my eyes closed.

So the LW 9.6 seat goes to a Maori boy in New Zealand, thanks to Splinegod.

Larry, if you want to PM his details I will arrange for the dongle to be shipped over, once I hear back from NT.

Ricky.

erikals
08-14-2012, 01:05 PM
Hurray for the Maori! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/boogiedown.gif http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

lardbros
08-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Hoorah!!!! :) Congratulations to the lucky winner!

Kuzey
08-14-2012, 02:58 PM
Excellent :beerchug:

Kuzey

nickdigital
08-14-2012, 03:00 PM
Cheers to Waves for being so generous.

R.Feeney
08-14-2012, 04:00 PM
Good on ya:thumbsup:

zardoz
08-14-2012, 04:40 PM
well done. Congratulations to the lucky kid!

Waves of light
09-14-2012, 11:40 AM
Larry,

Did you get my PM... I just wanted to know as with the forums being on and off. I've got confirmation that the package has been delivered to the New Zealand address, as stated.

Also, if anyone from NT is following this thread, please could you let me know that the transfer has gone through successfully. Neither I nor the new recipient have received confirmation or what the new recipient needs to do to register my old licence. I know you're all busy with the new site and the forum changes, but it'd be good to know.

Cheers,

Ricky.

Waves of light
09-14-2012, 11:41 AM
Larry,

Did you get my PM... I just wanted to know as with the forums being on and off. I've got confirmation that the package has been delivered to the New Zealand address, as stated.

Also, if anyone from NT is following this thread, please could you let me know that the transfer has gone through successfully. Neither I nor the new recipient have received confirmation or what the new recipient needs to do to register my old licence. I know you're all busy with the new site and the forum changes, but it'd be good to know.

Cheers,

Ricky.

Waves of light
09-14-2012, 11:42 AM
Larry,

Cheers,

Ricky.

Waves of light
09-15-2012, 03:19 AM
Opps... triple post. It was yesterday whilst forum maintenance was up and down.

cagey5
09-16-2012, 03:20 AM
There's something "big bang theory" about it.
Knock knock "Larry"
Knock knock "Larry"
Knock knock "Larry"...

Waves of light
10-17-2012, 11:34 AM
Larry,

As I haven't heard anything from you, Peter or Newtek, I was just checking again to make sure Peter got the Lightwave 9.6 package up and running?

Ricky.

Waves of light
11-24-2012, 07:50 AM
If a moderator would be kind enough to close this thread, as I've just learnt today of the passing of Larry Shultz aka SplineGod.

Respectfully,

Ricky.