PDA

View Full Version : Rezizing all surfaces in one fell swoop?

ianay
08-10-2012, 08:57 AM
I have a building object that I now have to reduce in size by around a half, the problem is that I have a ton of surfaces attributed to this object and Im not too happy with going around resizing every Surface..
Is there a magic button that resizes the surfaces in 'step' with the object being resized?
Thanks for all help!

Using LW10

Kuzey
08-10-2012, 09:09 AM
Center Scale...unless I'm missing something?

Edit: just checked to see if it works with objects in multiple layers, scales them all...like it's one object.

Kuzey

jeric_synergy
08-10-2012, 09:37 AM
Kuzey, it's specifically about the Surfaces. If you're talking Center Scale in Modeler, it doesn't affect Surfaces at all.

If you shrink all the geometry simultaneously in Layout via a parented null, the Surfaces will scale properly (done! maybe), but the whole setup becomes brittle in that you have to use Load From Scene. If you Save Transform the LWOs, the Surfaces (IIRC) are not scaled and next time you load the LWOs they'll be wrong unless you keep track of the scale %, apply it to a Null, and reference that Null in all your Surfaces. Again, this gets brittle and easy to lose.

Snosrap
08-10-2012, 09:58 AM
If you UV mapped everything it shouldn't be a problem, just scale the object. Otherwise just size the object in Layout and have the "size" saved with the scene. Why make it hard.:D

ianay
08-10-2012, 09:59 AM
Damn..
Seems like there is no 'magic button'..
The Null version worked ok but i'm pretty screwed if and when it comes to editing the resized object..
(good thing is the object was pretty much completed anyway, just needed to resize in order to fit it into another scene)
And vast majority of the surfaces are not UV mapped..

daforum
08-10-2012, 10:02 AM
If it's surfaced using non-nodal surfacing, have a look at this:
http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=369685fc

JeffrySG
08-10-2012, 10:07 AM
If they are node textures it might help to watch a video tutorial I did on the subject.

http://pixelandpoly.com/video013.html

Hope it helps.

daforum
08-10-2012, 10:10 AM
Ha! You beat me to it JeffrySG.
I was just about to add a link to your video tutorial too!

jeric_synergy
08-10-2012, 10:16 AM
Isn't there a node that emulates the entire Layer system? Could one use that to Scale?

I think I'm thinking of the 'Standard' node. -hmmph, no Scale input....

(Unless there's ANOTHER magical "turn my existing Layer Surface into a Standard Materials node" button, it's still a tonne of work.)

ianay
08-10-2012, 10:52 AM
Though the magic button had appeared there in the aforementioned plugin..
But..
Just could not get it to work.. Removed all the nodal surfaces and it still wouldn't work..
Maybe this magic button will appear in LW12?

Kuzey
08-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Ah..sorry about that.

Kuzey

Sensei
08-10-2012, 01:27 PM
You wouldn't have problems if you would use UV mapping since beginning - hint for the next projects.

ericsmith
08-10-2012, 03:38 PM
You wouldn't have problems if you would use UV mapping since beginning - hint for the next projects.

So you're saying don't ever use procedurals.

Eric

Sensei
08-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Move geometry (in Modeler) - procedural (traditional layered..) screwed. Rescale geometry - procedural screwed. Rotate geometry - procedural screwed...

There are ways (nodal ways..) to use procedural textures with uv mapping. So any modification of vertex positions won't screw up renders.