08-09-2012, 09:56 AM
Official Opening Day Post from Rob is here:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=129777

Day 2 post from Rob is here:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=129849

Day 3 Post is here:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=129872

Stream and schedule is here: https://www.lightwave3d.com/siggraph_2012/

You can also go to ustream.tv and search "LightWave" to get the live feed.

We have more great LightWave 11.5 demos including Virtual Studio Camera and puppeteering, New Modeling Tools, and Genoma modular rigging. We also have some fantastic guest speakers including Bill Arance of Stargate Studios (http://www.stargatestudios.net/) with the inside scoop on the brilliant effects work on The Walking Dead (http://www.amctv.com/shows/the-walking-dead), Chris Evans and Kenny Janeski of Nickelodeon (http://www.nick.com) on the many ways LightWave is used at Nick Digital, plus an interview with PJ Foley of Dilated Pixels (http://dilatedpixels.net/), VFX Artist, VFX Supervisor, and VFX Producer on such film and television projects as STAR TREK VOYAGER, ROUGHNECKS: THE STARSHIP TROOPER CHRONICLES, STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE – Director’s Edition, HELLBOY, STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, commercial work, creature features, and a variety of independent films.

Waves of light
08-09-2012, 10:04 AM
Subscribed and rushing home to watch the 3rd.

erikals
08-09-2012, 10:24 AM
agh, was supposed to see batman today,...
guess i'll just have to deal with this Marathon again... but first, a beer...

http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/beerchug.gif

rcallicotte
08-09-2012, 10:43 AM
Thanks Chuck. Couldn't stay away from the Siggraph online footage if I tried.

erikals
08-09-2012, 10:47 AM
any Interchange presentation ?

mikala
08-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Might the Mark Zicree interview be getting upped at some point?

Waves of light
08-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Well Chris Evans... you have done your job properly because there are a lot of shows my boys watch, and I am ashamed to say I didn't spot they were done in 3D.

wesleycorgi
08-09-2012, 11:24 AM
Was watching day 1 recordings all night (early morning) yesterday. Didn't have Genoma, though!

What is great about Rob is that he is a "fanboy" (in a good sense) and a total sci-fi geek. When he talks about sleeping with his Star Wars doll from Comic-Con, I busted up! Or when he gushes about Deborah Gibson :D

Waves of light
08-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Was watching day 1 recordings all night (early morning) yesterday. Didn't have Genoma, though!

What is great about Rob is that he is a "fanboy" (in a good sense) and a total sci-fi geek. When he talks about sleeping with his Star Wars doll from Comic-Con, I busted up! Or when he gushes about Deborah Gibson :D

I think Genoma was tagged on the end of one of the other videos... one sec, I'll find out for you.

phillydee
08-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Didn't have Genoma, though!

Scrub to 37 minutes... http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24544371

I missed this on Day 1 as well, was happy to see it here.

nickdigital
08-09-2012, 11:40 AM
Well Chris Evans... you have done your job properly because there are a lot of shows my boys watch, and I am ashamed to say I didn't spot they were done in 3D.

Thx for the kind words. I'll be sure to let him know.

Waves of light
08-09-2012, 11:41 AM
Scrub to 37 minutes... http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24544371

I missed this on Day 1 as well, was happy to see it here.

Yep that's it.

Waves of light
08-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Thx for the kind words. I'll be sure to let him know.

And please pass on my praise to Andrea too, the new Dora stuff looks great.

Gotta say, we have been treated to some great interviews, live demos, showcases. etc.

EDIT: And Rob has just confirm they are developing Kinect for Motion Capture without markers....wow.

Dillon
08-09-2012, 11:54 AM
"Full body motion capture using the Kinect coming to Lightwave very soon" - Rob Powers

YAY!

MarcusM
08-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Kinect + genoma in future in LightWave will be great! wow! :)

Not fire such a great singer witch is Mr. Lino :)

Miss Kiki have own facebook fanpage? Every siggraph spectator will klick "I like" :D

monovich
08-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Great stuff, all. Just caught the virtual studio tools demo and that is pretty killer! I had no idea it was that flexible or realtime.

funk
08-09-2012, 11:57 AM
I noticed Rob was saying that he liked the separation of modeler/layout. This doesnt sound good for unification.

Cageman
08-09-2012, 11:58 AM
"Full body motion capture using the Kinect coming to Lightwave very soon" - Rob Powers

YAY!

I would guess that it isn't going to come in LW11.x though... My vote is during LW12.x series... :)

nickdigital
08-09-2012, 11:58 AM

Will do! :thumbsup:

Waves of light
08-09-2012, 12:02 PM
Kiki has officially become one of the walking dead... what has Siggraph done to that girl!

50one
08-09-2012, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by Waves of light

Would like to add to the praises:thumbsup:

Waves of light
08-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Lol. They really do need to cut the mic sometimes.

MAUROCOR
08-09-2012, 12:39 PM
What is now? GENOMA?

Waves of light
08-09-2012, 12:42 PM
What is now? GENOMA?

It should be, as it's down as 11.30, but Rob did say they were going to do Virtual Studio sets.... errm. We'll see. If it is Genoma, wonder if Lino is going to add extra info from previous streams.

MAUROCOR
08-09-2012, 12:44 PM
It should be, as it's down as 11.30, but Rob did say they were going to do Virtual Studio sets.... errm. We'll see. If it is Genoma, wonder if Lino is going to add extra info from previous streams.

Yeah, they changed the schedule again.

m.d.
08-09-2012, 12:47 PM
could you guys please update the schedule for us at home....
kinda planning my day around this....

Waves of light
08-09-2012, 12:50 PM
I swear Kiki just said the Limited Edition T-shirt were available in the store. Can't find them anywhere.

@Maurocor - yer, it looks like they have swapped stuff around.

mikala
08-09-2012, 12:51 PM
I swear Kiki just said the Limited Edition T-shirt were available in the store. Can't find them anywhere.

@Maurocor - yer, it looks like they have swapped stuff around.

Probably the Booth store.

hrgiger
08-09-2012, 12:56 PM
I noticed Rob was saying that he liked the separation of modeler/layout. This doesnt sound good for unification.

No it doesnt.

m.d.
08-09-2012, 12:57 PM
EDIT: And Rob has just confirm they are developing Kinect for Motion Capture without markers....wow.

where did you see that?

safetyman
08-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Hey Lino -- can I get a copy of that rabbit model? That's a bad ***** rabbit, man.

Waves of light
08-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Probably the Booth store.

:foreheads

@m.d. it was at the end of the Visual Studio Demo (first one of the day)

GregMalick
08-09-2012, 01:20 PM
I just watched the LW History live feed and all I have to say is...

What! No Buffy vampire slayage?!?!

too tame?

phillydee
08-09-2012, 01:22 PM
I just watched the LW History live feed and all I have to say is...

What! No Buffy vampire slayage?!?!

too tame?

I was going to shout "Where's Starship Troopers RoughNECKS?!" on day 1...

Cageman
08-09-2012, 01:26 PM

He didn't say that... what he said was that he liked the setup of how you go from modeling to rendering, and that LW is setup well for that type of learning curve.

This has nothing to do with unification.

Truth to be told is that LW is fostering very good generalist artists.. and that, in part, has to do with how LW is structured, but that doesn't mean that Rob says that they don't want to make LW a unified application, but still keeping LW easy enough to allow artists to be good in all aspects of the software.

m.d.
08-09-2012, 01:35 PM
:foreheads

@m.d. it was at the end of the Visual Studio Demo (first one of the day)

tanx

funk
08-09-2012, 01:36 PM
I hope your'e right cageman. He has mentioned it more than a few times now.

MAUROCOR
08-09-2012, 01:37 PM
Hmmm, I think there is no more Genoma presentation today...
They are showing Virtual Studio Camera again!

Phil
08-09-2012, 01:38 PM
No it doesnt.

That wasn't Rob, though. It was the interviewee (unless he was also called Rob). Rob's been vocal about the separation of object and scene files, which is actually kind of useful (unless we can get functional scene referencing - modo's referencing system remains flaky).

As far as I know, Rob's been cognizant of the need for unification. Now, what might be interesting is a common dataset shared between front-ends (allowing a Modeler/Layout split, if desired).

Waves of light
08-09-2012, 02:01 PM
Kiki said it again.. "go to the online store for the limited edition t-shirts". I swear I haven't been drinking, yet.

OnlineRender
08-09-2012, 02:15 PM
since you moaned better steal me a T-shirt Rob ;)

http://www.lightwiki.net/NTUPLOADS/rob1.png

50one
08-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Kiki said it again.. "go to the online store for the limited edition t-shirts". I swear I haven't been drinking, yet.

Heard it to few times, checked the online store Lightwave/Newtek, nothing, nada, nil, null.....

MarcusM
08-09-2012, 02:49 PM
Heard it to few times, checked the online store Lightwave/Newtek, nothing, nada, nil, null.....
...nic, nie ma ;]

Sanchon
08-09-2012, 03:02 PM
They don't keep up with sewing :) I'd like to see t-shirts with LW11.5 in one package :)

Waves of light
08-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Cool use of Lightwave... Andrew from the crime lab.

GregMalick
08-09-2012, 03:10 PM
Are these videos going to be available later?

BTW, Lino's soft-body dynamics cloth & shattering dynamics presentation was great!

Waves of light
08-09-2012, 03:13 PM
Are these videos going to be available later?

BTW, Lino's soft-body dynamics cloth & shattering dynamics presentation was great!

They are replayed on UStream the next day, plus I think Matt is going to make them available on the LW site, once they get five mins when they get back from Siggraph :D

safetyman
08-09-2012, 03:19 PM
They are replayed on UStream the next day, plus I think Matt is going to make them available on the LW site, once they get five mins when they get back from Siggraph :D

But I want an Oompa Loompa now!!!!

Waves of light
08-09-2012, 03:20 PM
But I want an Oompa Loompa now!!!!

Bad nut :D

floh02
08-09-2012, 03:28 PM
The streams from today are all recorded now:

http://www.ustream.tv/lightwave3d/videos

Waves of light
08-09-2012, 03:49 PM
Ok. It would appear that Genoma has completely been removed from the rest of the agenda.

mikala
08-09-2012, 03:49 PM

No I heard it this time as well. Nada on site unless it is buried somewhere.

mikala
08-09-2012, 03:51 PM
Was there some issue with the Mark Zicree bit that we won't see it posted?

Waves of light
08-09-2012, 03:51 PM
No I heard it this time as well. Nada on site unless it is buried somewhere.

Thank you, thank you... I'm not going insane :D

Waves of light
08-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Was there some issue with the Mark Zicree bit that we won't see it posted?

That was the Space Command interview yesterday. I can't remember there being any issues.

floh02
08-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Ok. It would appear that Genoma has completely been removed from the rest of the agenda.

But three times the demo of the Virtual Studio Tools. This is Rob's favorite "baby"!

mikala
08-09-2012, 03:59 PM
That was the Space Command interview yesterday. I can't remember there being any issues.
Is it upped anywhere?

Matt
08-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Sorry for the schedule change guys, what you can't see is that VST demo packs the booth, so we responded to that, all the videos if not up on ustream will be up on our YouTube Channel, I know many of you have stayed up late to tune in to certain demos, so again apologies for that.

Kiki incorrectly said the T-Shirts were available now, they're not yet but they will be.

MAUROCOR
08-09-2012, 04:04 PM
I'm not going insane :D

Maybe just a little?!?:D

cagey5
08-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Obviously posted during the stereophonic demo.. :)

Waves of light
08-09-2012, 04:05 PM
But three times the demo of the Virtual Studio Tools. This is Rob's favorite "baby"!

But I think Genoma is a lot better.

Is it upped anywhere?

Check out the records on ustream it maybe there:
http://www.ustream.tv/lightwave3d

Roodie
08-09-2012, 04:10 PM
...or he just likes to force Lino to sing, with the threat of firing him. :devil:

Waves of light
08-09-2012, 04:11 PM
Kiki incorrectly said the T-Shirts were available now, they're not yet but they will be.

Do you see what you and Kiki are doing to me Matt?

Thank you, thank you... I'm not going insane :D

Maybe just a little?!?:D

Cageman
08-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Matt just posted the reason why they show VST so much... as allways, it is the ability to be flexible and responsive to what ever happens. As LW-artists we know how that works out, and that also has carried over to how NT responded to the feedback at Siggraph.

Personaly, I am more interrsted with Genoma and Bullet, but... NewTek should do their best to make sure to showcase LW as good as possibe without us going berzerk.

:)

BeeVee
08-09-2012, 04:19 PM
It's a really fun demo too. :)

B

mikala
08-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Ha "Blood and Chrome" the shelved series.

realgray
08-09-2012, 04:24 PM
"Kiki incorrectly said the T-Shirts were available now, they're not yet but they will be."

Yay!

Waves of light
08-09-2012, 04:26 PM
Well, it's time for me to sign off. Before I go, I just wanted to say what a great experience the last 3 days have been. I've never been to Siggraph, but I would love to go.

I really don't want to sound like a fanboy, I really don't. But I have felt quite excited and empowered by some of the things I have seen. There seems to be a lot of goodies come our way; Genoma looks amazing, can't wait to try it out, Softbody looks as good as Bullet did when it was first released and I'm looking forward to trying out the new Modeler commands.

All in all, the presentations were a good mixture of sales (come on, that's what these events are for) and information. Being able to watch it all live was brilliant, good move guys and good quality.

And finally, well done to Rob, Lino, Deuce, Matt, Kiki and others.

Looking forward to getting my hands on LW11.5 (and buying a t-shirt, when they become available ;))

floh02
08-09-2012, 04:27 PM
Hey Lino -- can I get a copy of that rabbit model? That's a bad ***** rabbit, man.

It is possible to add this awesome and crazy rabbit from the VST demo to the LW Contend?

nickdigital
08-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Awesome show NewTek. Good job. :thumbsup:

MAUROCOR
08-09-2012, 04:35 PM
Well done!
Good luck on sales now!:thumbsup:

erikals
08-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Good work, all of Ya!...
http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/lwicon.png

Tobian
08-09-2012, 04:57 PM
Who cares about the T-shirts, what we all want to know is when Lino's album is due out! :)

funk
08-09-2012, 05:09 PM
I want to thank you guys for the live stream. You all did an awesome job. Well done.

Nicolas Jordan
08-09-2012, 05:15 PM
Sorry for the schedule change guys, what you can't see is that VST demo packs the booth, so we responded to that,

That's definitely something to keep in mind for the next Siggraph then. Next year you may want to do some similar demos that show even more ways Virtual Studio Tools can be used. It's the kind of thing that gets peoples attention especially when they see Lino singing. :D

wyattharris
08-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Fantastic presentations guys. I'm more and more excited.

And to answer the question, Darth Powers sounds sinister.
Darth Grandi sounds like coffee. :D

m.d.
08-09-2012, 06:20 PM
that Lino can sure sing though!!!

erikals
08-09-2012, 06:56 PM
ditto that..! :]

geo_n
08-09-2012, 08:55 PM
No more genoma demo on the last day?

robpowers3d
08-09-2012, 09:34 PM

I was simply pointing out the positives of that workflow, not implying that it would be the only workflow. :)

robpowers3d
08-09-2012, 09:37 PM
I hope your'e right cageman. He has mentioned it more than a few times now.

Cageman is right.

robpowers3d
08-09-2012, 09:39 PM
since you moaned better steal me a T-shirt Rob ;)

http://www.lightwiki.net/NTUPLOADS/rob1.png

That is more like it :) You can give the red lightsaber to Autodesk ;)

robpowers3d
08-09-2012, 09:40 PM

These will be added to the store for a limited time soon. We will be doing a series of these shirts with each one being for a limited time. The upcoming designs are so cool too!

robpowers3d
08-09-2012, 09:47 PM

Guys,
There was a HUGE demand for the virtual studio demo. It was a very big hit and there was nothing like it at any booth at SIGGRAPH for under $150,000. We were using a simple PS3 and the crowds were blown away. I made the call to show it two more times because the GENOMA demos are already available on Youstream for anyone to watch again that missed them. And the virtual studio demo was so impressive for the crowds that they were begging us to do it again. Each time the crowd was bigger.

robpowers3d
08-09-2012, 09:49 PM
...or he just likes to force Lino to sing, with the threat of firing him. :devil:

I would never fire Lino! He is amazing, it was all part of the act. i was just playing the part of a bossy film director, LOL!

robpowers3d
08-09-2012, 09:51 PM
Thanks! The entire team worked very hard to give a good show. Glad you enjoyed it!

Well, it's time for me to sign off. Before I go, I just wanted to say what a great experience the last 3 days have been. I've never been to Siggraph, but I would love to go.

I really don't want to sound like a fanboy, I really don't. But I have felt quite excited and empowered by some of the things I have seen. There seems to be a lot of goodies come our way; Genoma looks amazing, can't wait to try it out, Softbody looks as good as Bullet did when it was first released and I'm looking forward to trying out the new Modeler commands.

All in all, the presentations were a good mixture of sales (come on, that's what these events are for) and information. Being able to watch it all live was brilliant, good move guys and good quality.

And finally, well done to Rob, Lino, Deuce, Matt, Kiki and others.

Looking forward to getting my hands on LW11.5 (and buying a t-shirt, when they become available ;))

evolross
08-09-2012, 10:19 PM
The booth was amazing... between LW9.5 features, a sick booth design/presence, free t-shirts and Tofu figures, four PS Moves waving around, Lino belting out Jailhouse Rock like a rock star, and real-live Walking Dead zombies on the prowl... it was just overload. Job really well done Netwek! Rob and the whole team were up there killing it, going 110%, all week long. Newtek DOMINATED that trade show floor. :rock:

Serling
08-09-2012, 10:20 PM
Lol. They really do need to cut the mic sometimes.

A director to call the shots and a floor director to direct traffic to and from the stage might really add a lot more polish to the presentation.

Send me the raw files. I'll edit them for a free copy of the next paid upgrade when it comes out. We can fix the videos in post. :)

I didn't get to see a lot of the presentation as my work schedule conflicts with this but, from what I did see, the enthusiasm was palpable. Good job guys!

Nicolas Jordan
08-09-2012, 10:46 PM
These are good times to be a Lightwave user. Seems like things are really getting back on track now after that slight derailment after LW9.6 and before LW10 that we shall not speak of anymore. I was disappointed at the Newtek "no show" last year when I went to Siggraph but I would say they made up for it this year even though I wasn't able to go I could watch the whole thing stream on my second monitor as I worked. It was almost like being there!

I think Rob and the rest of the team did a great job at the show! :thumbsup:

I wonder if Autodesk felt any pressure at the show from it's competitors? :D

CaptainMarlowe
08-09-2012, 10:50 PM
I have been very impressed - and entertained - by these presentations. Frankly, I don't care if I look like a fanboy, but, I have always wanted to animate certain things for various personal projects, and clearly, genoma and bullet softbodies can make it possible. Not even to mention possible mocap with a Kinect in the future, that would be fantastic.

So congratulations to Rob and his team. The momentum that you gave to Lightwave is very exciting.

alexs3d
08-10-2012, 12:36 AM
congrats to the awesome prasentations at siggraph, i am very impressed :) it was really funny and interessting to watch.

thanks to lino for showing some cloth dynamics, and GENOMA looks awesome, the motion capture workflow looks impressive, i hope i can play with this features soon :)

@lino - how do you do the lipsync in the rabbit demo, with the controllers ???

i also likes the interview with nikelodeon, they have an impressive toon style and their work looks great.

...oh and hoping to get a t shirt soon :) in the online store, they look great.

keep up the good work LW Team ...

insignet
08-10-2012, 12:54 AM
I just want to say... great job to the whole LW team at Siggraph. It's been a blast watching this all week. Rob you must have titanium tonsils - how your voice holds up i'll never know, your enthusiasm and energy is inspiring! Also have you noticed how Rob seems to be sitting in the Alien (backdrop) hand during guest speakers conversations... hmmm :)

Lewis
08-10-2012, 01:04 AM
Excellent work guys and girls, I've enjoyed all time and yes Virtual Studio tools were crowd catcher so i understand why Rob wanted to show them more, any Lino's singing ROCKS :) :D.

Jarno
08-10-2012, 01:10 AM
@lino - how do you do the lipsync in the rabbit demo, with the controllers ???
They are probably getting drunk in some karaoke bar. I believe it was with the analogue trigger on a Move controller.

---JvdL---

djwaterman
08-10-2012, 02:06 AM
Wow, Jordu Schell, what he has to say about 3D design and animation is 100% on the money, lazy S curves seem to be the fall back position for a lot of 3D animators, when most movement is sharp and linear (jerky), just watching him do the motions with his body is a whole master class lesson, I recorded it for my archive. And the day before he was saying how he sees a lot of digital designers concentrating on detail and overlooking form. This describes why so much character design is hard to look at and take in at a glance (Transformers for example). His mantra was something like, if you don't got form you got nothing. Agreed! Thanks Rob for having the notion of bringing this guy to the booth even though he is a non-digital artist, brilliant idea.

OnlineRender
08-10-2012, 02:15 AM
Wow, Jordu Schell,

I loved him, funny as hell ,very talented and stumped even rob powers a few times with some of his comments. Bill Arance was also great and Sean Hargreaves work is just stunning to be fair all the people who spoke where excellent

Waves of light
08-10-2012, 02:26 AM
Guys,
There was a HUGE demand for the virtual studio demo. It was a very big hit and there was nothing like it at any booth at SIGGRAPH for under $150,000. We were using a simple PS3 and the crowds were blown away. I made the call to show it two more times because the GENOMA demos are already available on Youstream for anyone to watch again that missed them. And the virtual studio demo was so impressive for the crowds that they were begging us to do it again. Each time the crowd was bigger.

Wow, 150,000 v 1,495 - can see why the demand was big then. Also, it's not like we can't see the playbacks of Genoma sessions over on http://www.ustream.tv/lightwave3d

EDIT: Just sat through Jordu's interview whilst making/eating breakfast. Some great points; nature has a fashion, it's in everything we know, the same process of design. The rocks on Mars, look like the rocks on earth.

I agree with him re. Jurassic Park - remember seeing that at the cinema, that was some scary believable s*** and it was down to the form of the models, how they moved, interacted with their environment.

Lol, cannot believe what the ILM guy said about his Hulk character.

Ricky.

erikals
08-10-2012, 03:05 AM
so, Kinect demonstration next year ? http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/king.gif

erikals
08-10-2012, 03:08 AM
Lol, cannot believe what the ILM guy said about his Hulk character.

i've seen it too many times before,
that Hulk looked like something i would've loved to have seen,
not the regular polished "political correct style"...

that's how it is, happened on T3 too...

"let's play it safe..." :/

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=106125&stc=1&d=1344590045

Kuzey
08-10-2012, 04:31 AM
Guys,

Next year, you should have the "virtual studio set" available for public use (in a separate area or in between demos)..so people can test drive it for themselves..push the point HOME :thumbsup:

Well done NewTek :thumbsup:

Kuzey

Andy Webb
08-10-2012, 04:39 AM
Just had my first chance to look at some of the videos from SIGGRAPH.

I have to say what a great job NT have done, it's all looking great and I'm looking forward to the next release.

11.5 here we come :D:thumbsup:

cagey5
08-10-2012, 04:47 AM
I've just caught up with some of the presentations I missed via ustream.

What a great show guys. The passion, the integrity, the ambition all came shining through.

Jordu Schell was the single stand-out interviewee amongst a great bunch. His was the one that fires sparks right at the genesis of an idea, how a creature looks, how it moves. He hit on the nail on the head of so much of what I hate about a lot of animations I see, that slo-mo floaty movement of heads and bodies. I'd love to see what he could come up with if he got to learn Lightwave. Got to get his DVD.

All the new features look great. I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on them, Genoma in particular.

data3d
08-10-2012, 05:41 AM
Thanks! The entire team worked very hard to give a good show. Glad you enjoyed it!

Yeah Rob, your enthusiasm is really infectious.. combine that with booth placement right at the front entrance, and it is easy to see why the crowd draw was so good. The demo team did a fantastic job, and I don't think I saw Matt sitting still for more than two minutes the entire three days, as he flew around the booth and worked the schedule (and the forums) from his iPad. I also think it would be good to recognize the young ladies who manned the registration and scanning tables. Unlike a lot of booths I stopped at, these women did a great job of bringing in traffic, and could answer quite a few questions about Lightwave... and for what they didn't know, were quick to grab someone who did. Really made for a good representation by Newtek, and left me very pleased to be a Lightwave user.

Thanks for a great event!

Tim

PS: You had subtly hinted early on in the show about the possibility of another render option on the horizon (besides Lightwave's own excellent renderer and Kray). Any hints on what that option might be...

JeffrySG
08-10-2012, 07:50 AM
Just wanted to say that I thought the Lightwave team did an excellent job on this whole event. From the new website, the magazine, t-shirts, 11.5 announcement, to the presentations and ustrem casts - everything had a professional and well designed feel to them that I have not seen in in a very long time.

Big congratulations to the entire team all all who assisted!

LW3D
08-10-2012, 07:53 AM
Just wanted to say that I thought the Lightwave team did an excellent job on this whole event. From the new website, the magazine, t-shirts, 11.5 announcement, to the presentations and ustrem casts - everything had a professional and well designed feel to them that I have not seen in in a very long time.

Big congratulations to the entire team all all who assisted!

:agree:

funk
08-10-2012, 08:01 AM
I was simply pointing out the positives of that workflow, not implying that it would be the only workflow. :)

Thanks for the clarification Rob. Looking forward to unification in LW12 then... :)

safetyman
08-10-2012, 08:24 AM
I didn't mind seeing the VST demos several times -- really impressive stuff there. My head was swirling with possibilities! I really love Lino's presentations -- I watch his LW rigging tutorial over and over because it makes me laugh (in a good way). I wish I had his accent; I'd have women crawling all over me (Ack! that was somewhat inappropriate).

ivanze
08-10-2012, 09:08 AM
Congratulations Guys!!! Excellent show and the streaming was like being there. Besides, you can feel the good energy among the LW team.

Emmanuel
08-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Really great vibes coming from that stage, its really a different LightWave feeling than the years before, relying on the strengths of the package and building on them. Looking forward to Kinect plus LW, this will again revolutionise the desktop CG playfield.

mav3rick
08-10-2012, 11:25 AM
congrats to all of team behind best Lightwave Siggraph showcase in history of existence. I am proud of passion LW team show to make the best they can. Finally we (artists) are key role to Lightwave development which shows in every release they announce. Thank you for listening us.

wesleycorgi
08-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Matt just posted the reason why they show VST so much... as allways, it is the ability to be flexible and responsive to what ever happens. As LW-artists we know how that works out, and that also has carried over to how NT responded to the feedback at Siggraph.

Personaly, I am more interrsted with Genoma and Bullet, but... NewTek should do their best to make sure to showcase LW as good as possibe without us going berzerk.

I do events for a living, including large trade shows with theater presentations. And we will change up posted topics in response to crowd demand --- that's just good marketing. But we would do adhoc workstation level demos for those who specifically came to see the scheduled topic.

That said, I was bummed when LW shifted things around. But great job on getting things uploaded later on ustream. I think I've seen everything now.

Loved all the interviews, especially the Nick Digital folks (my kids were fascinated watching over my shoulder). I hope next LA siggraph, they can get some Zoic folks --- they create some awesome LW stuff.

robertoortiz
08-10-2012, 01:43 PM
Lino, Matt, Jennifer, and Mr Powers...
You all rock!.
I wanted publicly to thank you for taking the time to talk to me during your busy schedule at the LW booth.

And I can proudly say that NewTek turned a lot of heads at this years SIGGRAPH.
I had friends who were formed LW users telling me how NT was trying to make them fall in love again with your product.

And in all honestly 4 companies batted Home runs at this year conference:
Disney (Jebus,Paperman is incredible)
SideFX (Houdini)
Unity 3D
and
NewTek.

It REALLY blew my mind how Autodesk being across NT in the show-floor was a NON PRESENCE.
I mean WOW.
This years LW booth reminded me a LOT of the Autodesk AGUA meetings from the 90's and early 0's, before Maya was taken over by the empire.

So in other words, GREAT WORK to all.
And to the marketing people, I salute you for an AMAZING SIGGRAPH.
In the 16 years I have been attending the conference i cannot recall NT doing a better show.

Later,

-R
PS I will post more photos and videos when I recover from the cross country trip.

Matt
08-10-2012, 01:48 PM
Thanks for all the positive comments guys, it really means a lot to us. We worked very hard on the website, SIGGRAPH and LW11.5 (which will be available later this year, but we are aiming to get it to you as soon as we can, no firm dates yet, but we will keep you posted).

SIGGRAPH went far better than we could ever have imagined, there was so much interest, much from people who simply had not heard of LightWave, there were a number of Autodesk users coming over very interested (we were right next to their booth, and we gave them a run for their money on presentation, style and presence!)

Despite being busy stage managing the show, it was great meeting everyone in person, Lewis, Khan and many others. Thanks to the thousands who tuned into the stream, we really appreciate the support.

So, wow, what a show! Onward and upward! :)

Matt

OnlineRender
08-10-2012, 02:30 PM
great job MG and others , Rob was hardcore

hrgiger
08-10-2012, 02:59 PM
You guys definitely put on a good show this year. Hope it bodes well for new LightWave seats.

wyattharris
08-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Watching the VST demos it kept reminding me of something that I couldn't quite put my finger on. Now I remember, watching old behind the scenes specials on Jim Henson's creature workshop. All of the puppeteers working together to bring an animatronic to life.

Virtual Muppets, you have no idea how excited that makes me. Ever since I saw this! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP6TUB7KQc4)

safetyman
08-10-2012, 06:15 PM
120 hours to render that? Wow, we've come a long way.

Cageman
08-10-2012, 07:26 PM
*sigh* :rolleyes:

Haha... yeah... some people are little too optimistic regarding timeframes... :)

In any case; I think it is good times ahead for LW-users, and I have to say that I do feel optimistic about the future of LW again!

Thanks Rob, Lino, Matt, Deuce, Cody, Kicki, Dave Vrba, David F and the rest of the NT-crew as well as all the guest-speakers!!! It was the best Siggraph I've seen from NT so far!!!

Philbert
08-10-2012, 11:02 PM
These will be added to the store for a limited time soon. We will be doing a series of these shirts with each one being for a limited time. The upcoming designs are so cool too!

I hope there's a huge supply, what with all of the people who've been asking to buy shirts for years. Also hope they're not all XXL size.

It REALLY blew my mind how Autodesk being across NT in the show-floor was a NON PRESENCE.

Wish I could see a photo of that.

m.d.
08-10-2012, 11:58 PM
Guys,

No need to explain...gotta do what you gotta do...
But be aware...just like when RED made waves with 4k...the other guys will take notice especially with that much interest. I would expect some competition in the virtual studio area...but I am sure you already know that :)

Excellent job on Siggraph as a whole, and LW 11.5.

PS
GIVE US A BETA SOON!!

Philbert
08-11-2012, 02:01 AM
Speaking of the Virtual Studio, I think I heard Rob say several times, that a PS3 was needed for the Move controllers to work. Is that true? I have a PS3 but I don't know if I feel like moving it away from my TV. Then how does i connect to the computer? USB?

50one
08-11-2012, 03:59 AM
Speaking of the Virtual Studio, I think I heard Rob say several times, that a PS3 was needed for the Move controllers to work. Is that true? I have a PS3 but I don't know if I feel like moving it away from my TV. Then how does i connect to the computer? USB?

Hi, yes you need the ps3 itself, whoch works like server, i think tou need to get an app from psn that allows this connection. This isn't great for home ise when you don't want to move your ps, but for a studio this type of tech for 300 is marvelous.

Waves of light
08-11-2012, 04:08 AM
Hi, yes you need the ps3 itself, whoch works like server, i think tou need to get an app from psn that allows this connection. This isn't great for home ise when you don't want to move your ps, but for a studio this type of tech for 300 is marvelous.

Thanks for the clarification. You can pick them up from ebay for 100.. just need to buy the additional PS3 wands.

This makes me wonder how LWG are going to implement the Kinect, will that need to be plugged into a Xbox 360 too... you could end up with both your PS3 and Xbox connected.

mouse_art
08-11-2012, 04:20 AM
What still bothers me about the ps move thingy ist that the move.me software ist still only available to acedemic people in europe...

50one
08-11-2012, 04:22 AM
Thanks for the clarification. You can pick them up from ebay for 100.. just need to buy the additional PS3 wands.

This makes me wonder how LWG are going to implement the Kinect, will that need to be plugged into a Xbox 360 too... you could end up with both your PS3 and Xbox connected.

As far as i'm concerned the xbox itself won't be needed. I will try to connect my ps3 to pc this week, anyway this is something i would like to use in the company i'm working at, for the medical pre-vis. Gonna post my results soon.

I may sound like broken record here, but please Newtek give us some cross-grade options.

erikals
08-11-2012, 04:32 AM
none of the Kinect devices have needed an Xbox, so no, you won't need an Xbox.

(JimmyRig, iPi, etc etc)

MarcusM
08-11-2012, 08:01 AM
Please give opportunity for Miss Kiki sing on next Siggraph :) Warp !

Yeah i feel power!

Maybe sci fi female 3d model and PlayStation Move motion capture :p

safetyman
08-11-2012, 08:04 AM
Please give opportunity for Miss Kiki sing on next Siggraph :) Warp !

Yeah i feel power!

Maybe sci fi female 3d model and PlayStation Move motion capture :p

Maybe Kiki motion capture! :thumbsup:

lardbros
08-11-2012, 09:46 AM
Whoah!!!! What a week it's been! JUST got back to the UK... Siggraph 2012 was the best I've ever seen from Newtek. Stage location was seriously a stroke of genius... being over the aisle from Autodesk was hilarious. (Their stuff wasn't that great to look at really, only hung around for 5 minutes, but nothing grabbed me.)

..... Whereas... Newtek had zombies from the walking dead :D and it was always amusing seeing people watching Autodesk and Modo presentations with the LightWave T-shirts on :D

It was really nice to chat to Matt, (hope I didn't disturb the stage managing duties too much... but thanks for grabbing me a T-shirt! :) ) Didn't talk to Rob as he was up to his eyeballs but still somehow managed to keep the energy up the entire show!!! :) Was a pleasure to meet Lino (thanks for my impromptu Genoma preview... VERY awesome indeed), Johanna, David Raiklen, and Lewis too! Cheers guys for being so friendly and cool, despite being mega busy! :) Any jobs going at Newtek in the Burbank area?? :) (Being serious actually)

Now going to go through some of the videos I missed during the live show!

Cheers,
Tim :)

data3d
08-11-2012, 09:55 AM
none of the Kinect devices have needed an Xbox, so no, you won't need an Xbox.

(JimmyRig, iPi, etc etc)

Yes, erikals is spot on, as Microsoft has offered the "Kinect for Windows" for a while now. I've also seen reference to a hack or two that would allow you to run the Kinect on the Mac.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindows/

erikals
08-11-2012, 10:10 AM
 
also D-Storm was working on something...

but again, i hope NewTek / D-Storm / Jimmy|Rig will support a 2x Kinect setup
as it is much more precise and can be used professionally...

 

khan973
08-11-2012, 11:46 AM
Despite being busy stage managing the show, it was great meeting everyone in person, Lewis, Khan and many others. Thanks to the thousands who tuned into the stream, we really appreciate the support.

So, wow, what a show! Onward and upward! :)

Matt

Yeah man it has been a great pleasure meeting you guys. All the team was so friendly and welcoming, Rob also who despite being busy took time to talk with us.
I have been amazed by how much you all cared about What was asked at the booth or in the forum. Cody was listening to Lewis or me to improve the tools, Rob was listening the crowd to showcase What people wanted to see, Lino listened the forum to make a pant cloth with Walking demo overnight and so on.
It is a major Change in Nt's behavior that we can feel on the website. They do listen to us and all that hasn't been taken in account is that is that it hasn't been showed yet ! I respect the fact that I've been privileged to hang out so i won't share all What I've heard but all i can say is that we were all right to stay on board and many improvments will occur. They are aware for example that the modeler doesn't handle so many polys and this is being taken care of. The rest, i can't talk about it :-D
Ps: special Thanks to Johana who was kind and introduced us to everybody !

andyh
08-11-2012, 12:19 PM
I love the look of LW11.5, and after watching the Siggraph videos over on UStream I'm more excited about the future of Lightwave that I've decided to upgrade my LW9.6 edu licence to a full-commercial licence.

Unfortunately the website, although it appears to allow this upgrade, redirects to a contact form, and although I admit that sending a request to sales support on the first day of Siggraph wasn't excellent timing on my part, I hope that someone over at Newtek can accept my order so that I can at least get familiar with VPR and all the other goodies before 11.5 ships.

MAUROCOR
08-11-2012, 12:32 PM
The rest, i can't talk about it :-D

You are not beeing nice here, dude. C'mon!

Philbert
08-11-2012, 03:22 PM
As for the Kinect, I really doubt the Xbox will be needed. There are already a number of apps that use the kinect just hooked directly into the PC. The only issue is that there are two versions of the kinect for xbox, the earlier model has an AC adapter that you need for using it with PC. the newer model gets it's power directly from the xbox, although I heard someone say you can get the adapters on Amazon, but I haven't looked into it.

lardbros
08-11-2012, 03:59 PM
Oh, forgot to post the pic of me with the zombies! Loved these two... and she stroked my back... friendly zombies are nicer than bitey ones :D

m.d.
08-11-2012, 05:40 PM
As for the Kinect, I really doubt the Xbox will be needed. There are already a number of apps that use the kinect just hooked directly into the PC. The only issue is that there are two versions of the kinect for xbox, the earlier model has an AC adapter that you need for using it with PC. the newer model gets it's power directly from the xbox, although I heard someone say you can get the adapters on Amazon, but I haven't looked into it.

i bought the xbox one with an adapter...the issue with the xbox kinect is it is not USB...it looks very similar but it is proprietary...so you must have the adapter

The PC kinect works off the shelf but it like $250

m.d.
08-11-2012, 05:48 PM
as a side note...the kinect body capture should not take long to develop...

If they use the microsoft SDK it outputs 22? or so joints natively, live, with little to no programming as is.

it is really a plug and play...translate the values kinda thing...not a lot of R&D needed...it's all there in the SDK....as well as 6 morphs for facial recognition...

I dont code...but using the microsoft VPL and kinect SDK you could write positional values for each bone quite easily.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jycZ6D4JPsk
go to about 7:45

a dual kinect setup is a different story and cannot be done live using the current SDK

robertoortiz
08-11-2012, 09:31 PM
Edited

robpowers3d
08-11-2012, 10:31 PM
Hi Andy,
We are looking in to this for you. Please private message me your serial number and user name for your acount.

I love the look of LW11.5, and after watching the Siggraph videos over on UStream I'm more excited about the future of Lightwave that I've decided to upgrade my LW9.6 edu licence to a full-commercial licence.

Unfortunately the website, although it appears to allow this upgrade, redirects to a contact form, and although I admit that sending a request to sales support on the first day of Siggraph wasn't excellent timing on my part, I hope that someone over at Newtek can accept my order so that I can at least get familiar with VPR and all the other goodies before 11.5 ships.

robertoortiz
08-11-2012, 11:07 PM
Here is my zombie pic...:)

Philbert
08-12-2012, 12:23 AM
i bought the xbox one with an adapter...the issue with the xbox kinect is it is not USB...it looks very similar but it is proprietary...so you must have the adapter

The PC kinect works off the shelf but it like $250

Mine came with an adapter in the box I just unpacked and hooked right up to my PC. In fact the USB adapter is part of the power adapter. Actually it came with a copy of Kinect Adventures too but I dont have an xbox so the game is still sealed in it's box. The one thing I did buy was a 15' USB extension cable. The one with the kinect is long but the extension really gave me freedom to move around with it.

andyh
08-12-2012, 07:07 AM
Many thanks, Rob. Private message sent.

Hi Andy,
We are looking in to this for you. Please private message me your serial number and user name for your acount.

lardbros
08-12-2012, 08:04 AM
Here is my zombie pic...:)

Haha... Nice photo! Matt told me you were around... Think you were just about to do a live podcast or something, but would have been cool to chat to another person who I've seen around the forums for years, but never met in person! Maybe next time? :)

fablefox
08-12-2012, 10:41 AM
These are good times to be a Lightwave user. Seems like things are really getting back on track now after that slight derailment after LW9.6 and before LW10 that we shall not speak of anymore. I was disappointed at the Newtek "no show" last year when I went to Siggraph but I would say they made up for it this year even though I wasn't able to go I could watch the whole thing stream on my second monitor as I worked. It was almost like being there!

I think Rob and the rest of the team did a great job at the show! :thumbsup:

Yeah, I agree too. After pulling out from Siggraph last year, I was afraid of LW future. So I put aside the dongle. But watching genoma, I now this is the right moment to run LW again. Maybe I'll test the 3d artsit 3d demo to keep myself busy till LW 12 :-)

erikals
08-12-2012, 11:36 AM
 
i'm making some great progress with Lightwave these days, gonna post some cool tricks as far as Character Animation goes soon at http://www.youtube.com/user/erikalst

might wanna keep an eye out... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/wink.gif

 

stiff paper
08-13-2012, 02:35 PM
The Siggraph wrap-up report on The Animation Guild's blog has a single photo of the NewTek booth with the caption "Large crowds around the LightWave booth all three days."

http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/2012/08/siggraph-2012-wrap-up.html

I know it's nothing very exciting by way of coverage, but it's good that they noticed, and then that they thought it notable enough to mention and have a photo.

Celshader
08-13-2012, 03:09 PM
The Siggraph wrap-up report on The Animation Guild's blog has a single photo of the NewTek booth with the caption "Large crowds around the LightWave booth all three days."

http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/2012/08/siggraph-2012-wrap-up.html

I know it's nothing very exciting by way of coverage, but it's good that they noticed, and then that they thought it notable enough to mention and have a photo.

Steve Kaplan's LightWave 3D production experience probably didn't hurt, either. ;)

Cageman
08-13-2012, 03:55 PM
Steve Kaplan's LightWave 3D production experience probably didn't hurt, either. ;)

Where can I see that? Or, are you talking about him being a LW-user? :question:

OnlineRender
08-13-2012, 04:07 PM
at first I thought NT where not showing enough of the software during siggy but on reflection I think they got the balance spot on! ... I also think the one on one with just the chairs and two people having a talk is more to look at than fancy tools and new features , it gives that personal depth to the software rather than LOOK AT US WE ARE COMPANY THAT MAKES SOFTWARE ... has that more we listen aspect and Jordu Schell was EPIC

Celshader
08-13-2012, 04:12 PM
Where can I see that? Or, are you talking about him being a LW-user? :question:

Many years ago, Steve Kaplan and Dave Jerrard worked at Unified Film Organization together. Steve's resume still lists LightWave as one of the software packages he knows:

http://www.stevenjkaplan.com/Resume.html

robertoortiz
08-13-2012, 07:56 PM
Haha... Nice photo! Matt told me you were around... Think you were just about to do a live podcast or something, but would have been cool to chat to another person who I've seen around the forums for years, but never met in person! Maybe next time? :)

I did the podcast...
i am editing that sucker RIGHT NOW...

Verlon
08-13-2012, 09:38 PM
Oh, forgot to post the pic of me with the zombies! Loved these two... and she stroked my back... friendly zombies are nicer than bitey ones :D

You are hanging around the wrong bitey ones then.

lardbros
08-14-2012, 12:53 AM
Haha! :)