PDA

View Full Version : restored WW II jeep

Alex Rooth
10-28-2003, 01:06 AM
Hi

I posted a slightly lower res version of this over at CG Talk. Hope you like it.

Alex

sbrandt
10-28-2003, 01:29 AM
We Jeep lovers of the world, thank you.

----------------------------------------

"IF IT'S A 4X4 AND NOT A JEEP, IT'S JUST A JEEP WANNABE"

Alex Rooth
10-28-2003, 01:57 AM
My pleasure : )

And I have to thank the jeep lovers of the world for the ton of reference material on the internet and in other places. On one site I even found photocipes of one of the original jeep technical manuals.

themaxx
10-28-2003, 10:46 AM
excellent work, sir. has a wonderful illustrated quality to it. did you do any post-render work on it?

Alex Rooth
10-28-2003, 01:02 PM
Glad you like it, themaxx. Yes, I used Photoshop to remove a blue tint from the background due to the HDRI map. I also used Photoshop to slightly change the hue and saturation amount of the jeep's green.

pauland
10-28-2003, 02:19 PM
It looks fabulous. I'd say the tyres are a tad too shiny though.

Paul

sbrandt
10-28-2003, 02:25 PM
We get to see a lot of illustrations on this forum, but I see more ACCURATE detail in this piece everytime I look at it.

Does it have an engine and drivetrain too !?!!

Alex Rooth
10-29-2003, 02:15 AM
Paul, yes, the tyres aren't quite right. I have redone them and will post a new render later today.

sbrandt - as far as the underside goes, I have modelled the differential housing (two days work!), axles, chassis with box cross members, leaf springs, petrol tank under driver's seat, engine firewall and suspension.

I have enough reference to start on the engine, transmission, etc. but my machine can't really handle the poly count now and modelling has become a really slow process, so I don't plan to do it for the moment. I will do it one day though.

Thanks for noticing the detail. I've done a few vehicle models before this, but this is the only one I have really tried to match every single part from the real thing, such as for example, the seam in the tub, near the shovel and axe, or the safety chain for the windshield thumbscrews.

There are a few things still to correct though, such as the position of the handbrake.

Alex

cg-freak
10-29-2003, 02:46 AM
Love it, you have a great eye for detail, great work.

Alex Rooth
11-03-2003, 03:37 PM
Here's the jeep in a scene. B/W shot with fairly heavy use of Photoshop. I have redone the tyres.

Ramon
11-06-2003, 08:22 PM
Hey Alex, very nice work!

adrian
11-07-2003, 11:13 AM
Alex,

Brilliant modelling!

The only thing that stands out to me is the steering wheel looks a bit thin but as there seem to be jeep enthusiasts that have already commented I'm sure if it was wrong someone would've mentioned it by now.

How about a few spatters of dirt/mud so it looks like it's seen some action?

Anyway, great job.

Adrian.

renderingfarmer
11-07-2003, 07:58 PM
I'm not much of a car expert but the fine attention to detail is evident here. Very beautiful. I especially like the first image.

I was a little disappointed when your second image was from the exact same viewpoint. Would you post some different angles? I'd love to see that.

Good work.

sbrandt
11-07-2003, 10:00 PM
I think the steering wheel is accurate. As a kid I remember the war surplus Jeeps the ranchers that I grew up around had, were just like the illustration. The steering wheels were BIG in diameter, (no power steering then) and were very thin, even for my small hands. The one I remember in particular had about 1 inch rawhide strips wrapped around the rim, probably for just that reason.

You REALLY SHOULD send a copy of this Illustration to the Advertising and Graphics Dept. at the JEEP Division at JEEP CHRYSLER Corporate headquarters: Auburn Hills, Mich.
I bet they'd be very interested.
It could be the start of an entire career with Jeep-Chrysler !!!

Alex Rooth
11-09-2003, 12:21 PM
Hi again

Ramon: Thanks for the comment.

Adrian: Looking back at some of my ref pics, from some angles, the wheel looks as if it could be a bit fatter; from other angles, it looks okay. I deliberately didn't add mud as this is supposed to be a restored jeep and these machines are really kept in beautiful condition with barely a scratch or hint of dirt. Some of the pics you can find on the net are amazing. Also, I felt that if I started adding dirt, then I would need to bash in the bodywork a bit, and I really didn't want to do that : )

Renderingfarmer: I felt this was the best angle to show the jeep, even though it meant losing a lot of detail from the front and the rear interior. I have tried other angles but they just don't seem so good. I'm moving onto another project now but I'll post some shots from Modeler if you are interested in just seeing more of the model.

Sbrandt: Thanks for your suggestion for sending the pic in to Jeep Chrysler. If I do that and they are interested, I will let you know.

Alex

Matt
11-09-2003, 12:34 PM
That B&W shot is photoreal! Great work!

Alex Rooth
11-09-2003, 12:52 PM
Thanks Matt. It was a shame I couldn't quite get the effect I wanted in colour though.

sbrandt
11-09-2003, 05:18 PM
My standard Employment Counseling fee is 5.2% of your first full year's gross... :D

Alex Rooth
11-10-2003, 02:10 AM
Well, I certainly could use some employment counselling... :)