PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 packaging art revealed

Ernest
08-07-2012, 06:47 PM
http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-windows-8-packaging-20120807,0,1404981.story

Interesting detail: It will be Microsoft's first ever landscape-oriented package.
An image is worth a thousand words?
http://www.trbimg.com/img-502157c9/turbine/la-heres-what-the-packaging-of-windows-8-looks-001/600

COBRASoft
08-07-2012, 06:52 PM
I find it ugly :(.

BigHache
08-07-2012, 09:01 PM
This looks like my high school math textbook.

LW_Will
08-07-2012, 09:16 PM
Wait.

I thought that everyone was either getting Win8 with their new PCs or via the web. Why even make a box?

Dexter2999
08-07-2012, 09:48 PM
wait.

I thought that everyone was either getting win8 with their new pcs or via the web. Why even make a box?

how are you going to get it on your ultrabook without a rom drive!!!???? Aaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Ernest
08-07-2012, 09:50 PM
Wait.

I thought that everyone was either getting Win8 with their new PCs or via the web. Why even make a box?
For art! :D

jeric_synergy
08-07-2012, 10:37 PM
Incoherent.

fazi69
08-08-2012, 05:52 AM
So eighties are back in Microsoft art department ? It looks like DTP made on good old Atari ST and Calamus.

50one
08-08-2012, 06:54 AM
So eighties are back in Microsoft art department ? It looks like DTP made on good old Atari ST and Calamus.

Indeed, looks very retro, bet the designer was on acid and we can only see 5% of what is there actually.

dee
08-09-2012, 05:09 AM
... bet the designer was on acid ...

Not only the designer, I guess, as ugly and unpractical Windows 8 is.

50one
08-09-2012, 05:25 AM
Not only the designer, I guess, as ugly and unpractical Windows 8 is.

We may hate it, but the thing is - if the publishers(for me adobe, newtek, autodesk and few others) won't create linux versions of their software, we won't have any real choice but to use it, which is sad.

Cryonic
08-10-2012, 09:49 PM
Well, they can't easily make a Linux version of their apps for a few reasons.
1) The various distros aren't standardized on any release of any given set of libraries (kernel, glibc, X, etc...).
2) Those targets move fairly quickly unlike Windows (until the 6/7/8 versions of Windows). Stuff made for XP has had the same OS and libraries for 10+ years. Only a few distros for Linux lock their systems down for a certain amount of time (Redhat Enterprise/CentOS being the big one I'm aware of that locks down the versions for 5 years).
3) Windows is a huge target audience (having 95% of the desktop marketplace for new systems sold). Why expend the effort if "no one" is using the OS for the work in the first place. If you want it supported on a platform, find a way to use it on that platform (such as via Wine) and then keep asking questions of others in the adobe forums to raise the signal of Linux usage in their eyes.

stevenpalomino
08-10-2012, 10:29 PM
wow... the design kinda doesn't make me wanna buy it hahaha

Ryan Roye
08-10-2012, 10:36 PM
the above reminds me of the average software box you can find at goodwill in the electronics section... I never understood why goodwill sells old software; a lot of it doesn't even work with modern computers without emulators.

Philbert
08-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Well I don't know about the box but the box doesn't matter, I love the OS itself. I'm already using it exclusively on my laptop. It's so fast it's like my 5 year old laptop is from last year.

Phil
08-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Well I don't know about the box but the box doesn't matter, I love the OS itself. I'm already using it exclusively on my laptop. It's so fast it's like my 5 year old laptop is from last year.

I tried the preview on a VM under OS X. I really don't understand the design at all. Mashing a tablet UI onto a regular machine just seems absurd, and the crippling of the desktop (and the inability to switch to it by default) also strikes me as ill-conceived. Windows used to be about choice - you could use the thing however you wanted; this incarnation firmly buries that concept in a plan to be a one-size-fits-all.

Apple did something equally stupid, although wisely only retain it as an optional access method, in LaunchPad. It simply doesn't work with many applications of different types installed.

The baffling thing is that MS used to spend a lot of time and effort in usability. All of that's been thrown away for invisible UI elements and extremely poor discoverability.

HenrikSkoglund
08-11-2012, 03:01 PM
I'll go Mac now... for sure. As long as Lightwave is stable and usable, that is :)

Philbert
08-11-2012, 03:42 PM
I tried the preview on a VM under OS X. I really don't understand the design at all. Mashing a tablet UI onto a regular machine just seems absurd, and the crippling of the desktop (and the inability to switch to it by default) also strikes me as ill-conceived

What tablet UI? How is anything crippled? I've been using it for months and it's now my preferred OS. As fas as I can see the desktop works exactly the same, only faster and with an improved Start menu (page).

zapper1998
08-11-2012, 06:11 PM
with alll the millions thats all they could come up with

Must of used MSPaint to make it

:)

Philbert
08-11-2012, 07:14 PM
Must have. :p

gclayton
08-11-2012, 09:06 PM
Must have. :p

I like it also.

I think you have to actually use it to find out that it is really not hindering anyone from doing what they do now in whatever version of Windows they may be using.

As for the packaging, who buys a product based on the box it comes in anyway? Only "artists", I believe.

Most users will not purchase a boxed version anyway.

K-Dawg
08-12-2012, 09:02 AM
Well, they can't easily make a Linux version of their apps for a few reasons.
1) The various distros aren't standardized on any release of any given set of libraries (kernel, glibc, X, etc...).
2) Those targets move fairly quickly unlike Windows (until the 6/7/8 versions of Windows). Stuff made for XP has had the same OS and libraries for 10+ years. Only a few distros for Linux lock their systems down for a certain amount of time (Redhat Enterprise/CentOS being the big one I'm aware of that locks down the versions for 5 years).
3) Windows is a huge target audience (having 95% of the desktop marketplace for new systems sold). Why expend the effort if "no one" is using the OS for the work in the first place. If you want it supported on a platform, find a way to use it on that platform (such as via Wine) and then keep asking questions of others in the adobe forums to raise the signal of Linux usage in their eyes.
That's not totally true.
1) The libraries are usually the same and most software runs with the same version of libraries. If you want to install newer software on your linux system but you're not running a Rolling Release, then you have to add the newer libraries. In the Debian/*buntu realm, libraries are updated with the PPA's.
2) The same is with NONE Rolling Release Distros which a majority of them are. (OpenSuSE, Debian, *buntu, Mandriva etc are all NONE Rolling Release Distros.
3) That might be the case with Windows, but you contradict yourself. If Windows is the majority of all Desktops, WHY is Software also released on Mac? According to what you wrote, it would be a waste to even release any software on Mac unless it's from Apple. Steam is being written for Linux native. That will open a new view on how well Linux is capable for developing even commercial software for Linux systems. If it where with all 3 points you mentioned, they would have to release 1000's of Linux clients, but thats not the case. Of course you need a .deb or .rpm package, but that depends on the system. .rpm is Slackware based Distros and .deb are Debian based. With those 2 formats you have a majority of all Linux Distros covered.

The major difference is if the libraries, binaries etc are installed in /usr/lib, /usr/bin, or other paths, but good developers cover those cases easly by using flags for the installation path.

So there is really no biggy creating commercial Linux software.

Oh. BTW. I don't like the boxart, but then again I don't like Win 8 either. I'll stay with Win 7 as my Windoze besides my Kubuntu as my main system.