PDA

View Full Version : animate on a path

sebrady
08-07-2012, 05:28 PM
I have LW 10.1
DSstorm Trailer is out of date. what is a good technique to make a long arrow move along a path. I tried a curve converted to skelegons, then converted to bones in layout. Then the bones in layer 2 parented to the long arrow in layer 1, every bone set to use morph positions, layer 1 has a morph. This technique did not work. Any other ideas.

any help would be appreciated.

ps - since I have a Mac is it OK to go to Spinquad or will I get a virus.

nickdigital
08-07-2012, 05:31 PM
How is Trailer outdated? We're using it on 11.0.2. For the bone morph trick did you set your arrow to use the bones from the object with the bones?

You could look into DPKit. Denis added a spline deformer.

sebrady
08-07-2012, 05:51 PM
I cant get it to work........all my plugins have "plugin" as an extension, NOT ".p"........maybe you can enlighten me as to how to get it to work. Thanks.

sebrady
08-07-2012, 05:52 PM
the bone morph trick did not work either......I and did just as you said, nothing.......can you advise on this one too.

nickdigital
08-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Do you wanna load up your bone morph scene? That's easy to fix.

realgray
08-07-2012, 05:59 PM
splineguide+morph?

Sensei
08-07-2012, 06:46 PM
I cant get it to work........all my plugins have "plugin" as an extension, NOT ".p"........maybe you can enlighten me as to how to get it to work. Thanks.

.plugin = Macintosh Universal Binary

.p = CFM (or Windows)

SplineGod
08-07-2012, 07:34 PM
If you created a path with skelegons it wont work with the morph trick until you go into the scene editor and change the rest position and orientation of the bones to make them think they were all drawn down the zaxis.
You could also use LWs curve conform,serpent(slow) or dponts spline deformer plugin. Trailer works here too btw.

sebrady
08-08-2012, 06:04 PM
here is my bones project. I hit "r" for all bones. I hit "shift + p" for all bones.' The box just moves down the Z axis, like the bones are not even there.

If Dstorm Trailer is free, can anyone send it to me. I know I have used .p plugin files and they worked in the past, this Trailer.p plug wont work on my LW10.1

Sensei
08-08-2012, 06:08 PM
LW v9.x is the last CFM compilation of LW. The all newer are UB only.

sebrady
08-08-2012, 06:10 PM
man do I feel like a dumb ***.......what is CFM......what is UB

Sensei
08-08-2012, 06:12 PM
CFM = old Macintosh executable file format, used on PowerPC, before Apple switched to Intel CPU.

UB = Universal Binary executable file format, used on PowerPC, 32 bit Intel and 64 bit Intel.
Several platforms in one executable in other words.

CFM plugin has extension .p

UB plugin has extension .plugin

Windows plugin has extension .p

If you had installed LW up to v9.6 you probably had CFM version of it. So .p worked fine.

LW v9.3 is probably the first IIRC version of LW compiled in UB format.

SplineGod
08-08-2012, 07:28 PM
here is my bones project. I hit "r" for all bones. I hit "shift + p" for all bones.' The box just moves down the Z axis, like the bones are not even there.

If Dstorm Trailer is free, can anyone send it to me. I know I have used .p plugin files and they worked in the past, this Trailer.p plug wont work on my LW10.1

If you had created the bones in layout and then posed them into the path shape it would work. Its not working correctly because you created the bones as skelegons.
You have to go into the scene editor and manually change the rest rotation of the bones to the angles that the bones would have if they were drawn downt he z axis initially.

Philbert
08-09-2012, 04:40 AM
Not sure if it helps, but what about a strip of polys with an animated texture arrow as a clip or transparency map? That's how I did these arrows:
http://youtu.be/CDXTxXDL8ag?t=24s

Ztreem
08-09-2012, 01:22 PM
You could also use the splinecontrol deformer native LW tool to animate the arrow.
"

shrox
08-09-2012, 01:29 PM
man do I feel like a dumb ***.......what is CFM......what is UB

We like dumb-asses, after a while they become kickass wavers...

jeric_synergy
08-09-2012, 03:12 PM
You could also use the splinecontrol deformer native LW tool to animate the arrow.
"
??? Please elaborate: doesn't ring a bell.

realgray
08-09-2012, 04:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy_UmRFEoy4

then make a morph of your arrow from beginning to end using the spline to tell it where to go. use instances for a bunch of them if you want.

jeric_synergy
08-09-2012, 07:17 PM
Oh, right, that thing. Thanks.

Ztreem
08-11-2012, 06:37 AM
:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy_UmRFEoy4

then make a morph of your arrow from beginning to end using the spline to tell it where to go. use instances for a bunch of them if you want.

You can also use bones instead of a morph. As quick to seup but more flexible .