PDA

View Full Version : simple pass save

zardoz
08-06-2012, 08:54 PM
after looking at what I usually do to save simple 'passes' scenes, I searched if there was a plugin for this. There isn't one for what I want, but I found this one: http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?sc=y&id=ed02e838 'SR Save Transformed' and after seeing what it does I think it might be easy to write a script to do what I need.

So imagine this, I have a scene with some objects.
1. Lets say this scene is ready to render and I need one or two matte renders, and a zdepth etc.
2. You save the beauty scene and...
3. run the script. This script would ask for a sufix for the file name and...
4. Automatically inside the scene folder, create a folder with this sufix (matte1 or zdepth, or occlusion, etc) and save a scene file projectname_matte1.lws.
5. Inside the objects folder create a folder with the sufix and save the objects with the sufix objectname1_matte1.lwo, objectname2_matte1.lwo, etc.

this way we could create passes and save them easily. Of course it we change any key frame we would have to save new passes again but at least we could save versions of the objects without overwriting.

is this easily done?

thanks
cheers

nickdigital
08-06-2012, 10:19 PM
is this easily done?

Not sure about all the specifics (matte, zdepth, etc) but the basic idea of what you're describing is definitely possible. For example I have a lscript that prompts the user for the pass name. The user puts in the name and the script automatically saves a copy of the scene with the updated scene name, and updates the render output folder and render output name.

xchrisx
08-07-2012, 12:13 AM
I have done this at work for creating passes for different projects we work on. With that being said here are some problem areas which can be time consuming to setup to prevent problems with the passes. Note: depending on complexity of the passes some of these problems may not apply.

1. Sometimes there can be issues with saving object copies to another folder (if the multiple objects have the same name for example and are actually different objects). Example: Objects\Generic\box.lwo and Objects\ShotSpecific\Shotname\box.lwo are both loaded into the scene.

2. Reading states of object properties such as mattes, unseen by camera, etc which all have to be parsed from the scene file since they have no internal flag to check. This can be time consuming to setup to create all of the necessary checks.

3.One thing I wish was easier to do is to setup pixel filters (such as Render Buffer Export) because they dont have comring support, so I basically worked around this by doing a load items from scene with an empty scene that just has the RBE filter in it that is already setup with the settings I want.

So all in all it is definitely doable, but it can be a lot of work to setup. Depending on the complexity of what you want it to do it could take several minutes to create the script or several hours.

Hope that helps
-chris

zardoz
08-07-2012, 02:17 AM
hmm....what I am asking is more simple. this script would be a simple saver...i was thinking that all the checks would depend of the user. Even the output folder, it had to be the user to setup.this would simply create folders and save a scene file and the objects with the suffix. I didn't think about objects with the same filename because the way I work that doesn't happen.

zardoz
08-07-2012, 02:45 AM
To take this a bit further...we could have a 'render pass' button. It would open a window with a list of the passes.this script would need to detect the passes from the subfolders in the scene folder. when we choose one of the passes it would simply read the respective scene and objects. It could have an update check button and if this was checked it would replace the objects would the updated ones.
but this can really get complicated and what I was asking for now would simply be a script that would save objects and the scene with the inserted suffix.

geo_n
08-07-2012, 08:10 AM
Mike Green has a similar idea with layers mc. It might be able to extend further to what you need.
Ofcourse there's janus that breaks out scenes and objects. Its probably overkill for your needs. Price is now 99usd btw. If not for the somewhat out of place interface and workflow I would have jumped on it.

zardoz
08-07-2012, 08:26 AM
once I talked to mike but he knows that newtek is working on that so, I guess he won't waste is time on this, and he is right. But this would be a simple script to implement (I guess) and would be a help.
If I had a script that would do this it would be good. Simply, insert sufix, create folder with the sufix in the scenes and objects folder, save objects with the sufix in the sub objects folder, and do the same for the scene. Simply this, I guess it would be sufficient for a lot of people until something better comes.
I used LayersMc but it has a few bugs with icons, and doesn't allow some form of surface override. I've learned to use LPM for max (a free script) http://www.lukashi.com/LPM.php and this would be perfect for us.
I know that Janus is pretty good, but yeah, it's overkill for me.

geo_n
08-07-2012, 10:30 PM
I always thought before Janus should have a lite version. A cleaner more user friendly interface with less dropdowns and less options but enough to breakout a beauty pass. Generally most users are using common passes anyway. Even we don't use every available pass in lw or vray for every project.
Isn't LPM already ceased development?

zardoz
08-08-2012, 02:15 AM
I'm not sure. One of our 3d artists its an amazing programmer (and a physics engineer too) and he talks to lpm programmer.we have a custom version that is always under development.
Myself, I only use a few passes, usually mattes, zdepth,occlusion, and to render separate objects. So some kind of surface override and saving different scenes would be enough for me.