PDA

View Full Version : New to SF Bay Area

ShadowMystic
08-06-2012, 03:54 PM
, and I'm also thinking of getting into a LW group in the area to show work,learn tricks, and network.

adamredwoods
08-09-2012, 11:00 AM
Hi. I popped in to read the new LW11.5 features and saw this. I tried to start a LW user group a few years ago and it was just me and one other guy. Didn't try it again.

Most people in SF area are using Cinema4D in advertising or Maya/3DMax in games.
But there used to be a Modo users group which also included some old Lightwave users. You may want to see if they're still around.
http://www.facebook.com/BAMUG

snsmoore
08-09-2012, 11:48 AM
I'd be interested if a Bay Area LW group was started. Although, I'm probably a bit further North than most people would be. (still it would be worth the travel to attend meetings...)

ShadowMystic
08-09-2012, 09:53 PM
I'd be interested if a Bay Area LW group was started. Although, I'm probably a bit further North than most people would be. (still it would be worth the travel to attend meetings...)

I'm in tracy so I'm expecting to travel. Really wish I could find a Lightwave modeling/animation job but I think I'll have to get back into C4D. 3DSMax is the bane of my creativity/productivity/life, but I'll have to get back into it too...

wesleycorgi
08-11-2012, 07:56 AM
Think about joining the Pixel Corps, if not already a member. They are based in the Bay Area. Lots of good stuff in their forums (including skill challenges, info on local meetups, job opps, etc.). Also, as a member, you have access to apps such as Modo, C4D, Motion Builder, Maya, XSI, 3DS etc. Plus they get deep discount promotions from time to time (this is how I picked up Modo and Trapcode).

I wish LW could get into the mix. They tend to be Modo And C4D centric (and AD because AD provides Pixel Corps members access to just about any piece of their software for training purposes only).

Pixel Corps is $99/year (it changes so I may be wrong). It's worth it to me, even though I don't take advantage of most of its benefits, just to have access to the software tools like Motion Builder and PFTrack. I also like that they are Mac-centric.

http://www.pixelcorps.com/

roboman
08-11-2012, 12:01 PM
I'm up near American Canyon, that's north bay or east bay, depending on who you talk to. Use to be nice when I was in Almeda and there was a group there...

jeric_synergy
08-11-2012, 12:18 PM
LW user groups are REALLY hard to keep going. Are we all just lone wolves, or are there just too few of us?

Long-distance presentations by 'stars' help a lot, I think.

tyrot
08-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Are we all just lone wolves, or are there just too few of us?

i wonder exactly the same ... is there a lightwave user psychological characteristic? :) /sorry for hijacking/

ShadowMystic
08-11-2012, 02:20 PM
i wonder exactly the same ... is there a lightwave user psychological characteristic? :) /sorry for hijacking/

I think Lightwave3D being one of the cheapest packages makes a lot of its users freelancers and studios that don't believe the more expensive packages are automatically better. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm looking for a regular job but so many want 3dsmax or c4d. I may end up being a freelancer too.

tburbage
08-25-2012, 01:12 PM
Unfortunately, my sense is that LightWave use is not and has never been strong here, certainly nothing like in the LA area. Although there are obviously some very high profile film and game development shops in the area, they are pretty much all Maya or Max-dominated. There was a brief glorious time when Manix was over in Alameda producing The Matrix and used LW, and there were well attended UG meetings hosted there. That was like 10-12 years ago. Later, there was a small but very enjoyable UG hosted at a small production house called Fatbox in Redwood City, which met monthy, but that's been gone for some years as well.

One difficulty in the "Bay Area" is that the area is so widely dispersed geographically.

ShadowMystic
08-25-2012, 02:32 PM
Unfortunately, my sense is that LightWave use is not and has never been strong here, certainly nothing like in the LA area. Although there are obviously some very high profile film and game development shops in the area, they are pretty much all Maya or Max-dominated. There was a brief glorious time when Manix was over in Alameda producing The Matrix and used LW, and there were well attended UG meetings hosted there. That was like 10-12 years ago. Later, there was a small but very enjoyable UG hosted at a small production house called Fatbox in Redwood City, which met monthy, but that's been gone for some years as well.

One difficulty in the "Bay Area" is that the area is so widely dispersed geographically.

C4D I know moderate modeling but haven't gone in depth into rigging.

Max's workflow is awkward to me but I've been getting better as I find the tools that are analagous to what I want to do in Lightwave and C4D

I guess my ideal job would be one that needed obj